Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 2 - The system cannot find the file...

Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 2 - The system...
Author
brbriggs
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I get this error frequently. I have tried increasing performance of the Seagate Expansion 5TB drive and set buffering in advanced options.
Any ideas?
Tags
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Error code 2 suggests that you may have a VSS problem.  Check your Windows event logs for any VSS errors.  You could try running exactly the same backup operation in the WinPE rescue environment to see if it runs error-free when VSS is not used.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

brbriggs
brbriggs
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Thanks. Where do I find the log?
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
If you are referring to the Windows event logs, there's a shortcut to open the Event Viewer under Administrative Tools. See this Microsoft How-To.  It's simpler, however, to use the Reflect  interface top menu to select Other Tasks -> View Windows VSS Events...

Edited 29 April 2015 1:13 AM by Arvy
brbriggs
brbriggs
Yes. There were VSS errors!
How do I run exactly the same backup operation in the WinPE rescue environment to see if it runs error-free when VSS is not used?
I am new to Macrium. I have a lot of data. The backup run for about 5 hours. The crash is usually at about 4 hours!!
Many thanks.       

brbriggs
brbriggs
PS. I am using the Grandfather/Father/Son strategy.
The failures are with both Differential and Incremental backups. Sometime they run completely. Sometimes they don't!
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi

Thanks for posting,

VSS errors are not related to backup type. It's important to get to the bottom of these failures so you can ensure regular successful backups.

Please open a support ticket so we can request further information:

http://www.macrium.com/support.aspx#tickets

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Richard V.
Richard V.
brbriggs (4/29/2015)
Yes. There were VSS errors!
How do I run exactly the same backup operation in the WinPE rescue environment to see if it runs error-free when VSS is not used?

Since the logs already indicate that Windows VSS errors are occurring in fact, there's really not much point in any other investigative steps like a WinPE run until those errors are corrected.  You should now open a direct support ticket instead as Nick has requested.

brbriggs
brbriggs
Have done so.
brbriggs
brbriggs
I ran the VSS utility that you emailed me.
I have now run 2 backups without errors.
The problem seems solved.

Thanks for your assistance.
Tags
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...