Backup bad hard drive

Author
Docfxit
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a hard drive that went bad.  I can read it on a different Laptop through a USB external enclosure.  I have run Chkdsk I: /r /f and it hangs.  I have run SeaTools to fix the drive and it gives me an error.  I would like to back up what I can from the drive with Macrium Reflect and repair what ever it doesn't backup successfully.  When I try to do an image I get this error:
Error reading MFT - Error code = 2. Please run 'chkdsk I: /r' 
How can I backup what ever is readable?
What do I need to restore what ever I backup to a different size hard drive.
Win7 is installed on the bad drive.
Thanks,
Docfxit

Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)
Doc, there's a forensic copy option available during the backup process... I don't know whether it will get past the error you're getting but it's worth a try.

In the backup window where you select your SOURCE and DESTINATION, you'll find an "Advanced Options" LINK near the lower left corner of the window, <click> it.  In that window, under the "Compression" option, select "Make an exact copy of the partition." This should copy everything it finds.  If you already have a backup of this partition, you may also extract anything you may need from there as well.

Prior to the above operation, you should go to "Edit Defaults/Advanced/Advanced Backup Options" and make sure the "Ignore bad sectors when creating images" option is also checked.

Good luck.

Edited 13 March 2017 12:25 AM by Froggie
Docfxit
Docfxit
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Thank you for the quick reply...
I followed your instructions.  I'm getting this error:
Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.
Do you have any idea how to get around that error?
Is there a way for me to delete the file it can't find?
Thanks,
Docfxit

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...