Why upgrade from ver 6 to ver 7?

Author
hankfoner
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I see it is only about 16 months since I upgraded from ver 5 to ver 6. Well, I know that MR needs to be profitable but this seems to be pushing the upgrade frequency a bit!  More to the point though I cannot see what advantages ver 7 has for the normal HOME user.  I am very happy with the backup speed of ver 6 and cannot see on the website what advantages ver 7 has. The exception is, perhaps, checking if the backups work but I think there is a way of doing this in ver 6 too.

I'd be happy to read any remarks/answers.
                                  Hank
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
If you don't intend to use any of your images in a virtual environment under W10pro, and don't do lots of Incrementals between System reStarts... you should probably stay at v6 for the time being, at least until any newer features become really valuable for you.
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
hankfoner - 12 March 2017 5:27 PM
I see it is only about 16 months since I upgraded from ver 5 to ver 6. Well, I know that MR needs to be profitable but this seems to be pushing the upgrade frequency a bit!
V6 has been available since Feb2015... that's a 2-yr span.  They stated at the time they wanted to move to a slightly different "license model," one that would allow for significant feature upgrades over appx. a 1-yr period between major upgrades.

That being said, they went 2-yrs on the first major release instead of one, and when v7 finally did come out, the "significant features" weren't really there for the typical user.  Virtual BOOTing of Reflect images is very useful among corporate clients for disaster recovery.  And the "soon to come" CONTINUOUS INCREMENTALs are also very useful for recent timestamp backups... again a feature corporate clients or Server Mgmt IT folks could put to very good use.  I'm guessing here but possibly their Corporate License Subscriptions represent a lot more income to Macrium than what I would call the "typical user"... that being the case, they need to respond to that end of their business in a very positive way.

As far most of us are concerned, what v6 offered is more than enough in the way of typical personal System Mgmt... I know it is for me.  Possibly in the future, features as groundbreaking as RDR will pop their heads out of the Macrium lab... at which time would be a good time to consider an upgrade.

Edited 12 March 2017 5:58 PM by Froggie
victor.chiu
victor.chiu
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Froggie, have you upgraded to v7 personally?  Why or why not?
Clinton Wright
Clinton Wright
Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)Junior Member (88 reputation)
So Far not, there are issues with the upgrade its self. I have tried a few times to purchase a 4 pack home, so far I haven't been able to even find the price. I'm sure this is all caused by windows 10 AU and changes to IE 11. All the same I'm wondering is there a reason that I need to upgrade from 6 to 7?  I had originally purchased 4 pack Ver 5 Pro. this changed to home with the upgrade to  Ver 6. So other than just having the latest version is there really anything in this latest version that I really need? I see myself waiting until Ver 8 is on the horizon then maybe upgrade to 7 so that 8 will be a free upgrade perhaps by then there will be something in the upgrade that I just have to have or at least will be a benefit to me some how? Just my thoughts
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
victor.chiu - 13 March 2017 4:24 PM
Froggie, have you upgraded to v7 personally?  Why or why not?

I upgraded briefly, without incident, went through a few build changes (2001 to 2035 to 2055), again without incident, then discovered a few anomalies which I reported to Macrium Support.  Noticed tons of anomalies from other users so I decided to go back to v6 until all the dust settles.  I was a v6 BETA user of the new CBT features, again without incident, and loved the speed of both the snapshots and the restores to those snapshots.  I do a lot of snapshotting and restoring between System reStarts so the CBT feature was/is very useful to me.

I am now running v6 once again with the BETA CBT functionality and will remain here until I see that most of v7's teething problems have been dealt with.  As a BETA user of v6 CBT, at this point I really have no use for v7 even if it was perfect tomorrow (cannot use viBOOT on Win7).  My next step towards v7 will be when they offer the "soon to come" Continuous Incrementals option... I do have a use for that.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...