What is the best approach in Macrium to accomplish this...

Author
Transistor
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a 5 TB USB 3.0 Seagate external hard drive that I have been using for a few years now and it has now reached over 90% capacity.  I have a brand new 8 TB USB 3.0 Seagate external hard drive that I just want to use as an active replacement for the 5 TB drive so the 5 TB drive can just be put away securely into a storage unit for archival purposes.  What is the best way with Macrium Home to copy all of the files and folders from the 5 TB drive to the 8 TB drive so the 8 TB is essentially the same as the 5 TB drive, only that it has 3 TB more capacity for me to work with?  Thanks!
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would think the easiest way to do this would be to CLONE the drive, especially since the large drive formatting would be the same between the drives.

Make sure both disks are connected.  After selecting the disk you wish cloned, <click> on "Clone this disk."  In the next window, after dragging your existing disk on top of your newly selected blank disk, <click> on the "Coned partition properties" link which will open up your clone disk settings window.  Here is where you should make sure the clone will actually be larger than the source (you can use the MAXIMUM button to specify this).  Finish the cloning spec (no need to schedule if you wanna do it NOW) and off you go.  It should produce a complete copy of the 5tB drive into an 8tB partition of the new drive.  If your 5tB drive has multiple partitions, you'll need to drag them all tot he new devive and use the cloned partitions window to expand them accordingly.

This should do what you need...

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...