Can't reinstall/repair free edition

Author
Telos
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I had Macrium Reflect Free v6 running on my Win 8.1 desktop and today noticed that there had not been a daily backup for the past two weeks. When I opened the program, I saw that an update was available. When I tried to run the update a search window appeared madly scanning my drive. The outcome was that it was unable to find a copy of the program (odd as I had just opened it). So I decided to uninstall/reinstall. Now the uninstaller would not run. 

Next, I booted into safe mode and let Revo Uninstaller do a forced uninstall. Booting back into full Windows I downloaded and ran the Free installer. I got as far as telling it which partition to install to, and then the installation progress window opened and nothing... zero progress. Waited 30 minutes and the desktop is completely idle. I tried to install via safe mode with the same result.

Apparently, there is some remnant that is preventing the install, but I'm at a loss having checked /ProgramData, /Program Files and /AppData. I ran the Reflect uninstall tool and it found nothing.

Is there a manual process for cleaning out MR? Other advice? I appreciate any help here as I am stumped.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Telos

Sony you are having problems. 

Unfortunately you've use Revo uninstaller. This isn't  a product that we support or recommend. Revo has no idea what an uninstall action involves and cannot be trusted to remove software. At worst it can, and often does, create more problems than it solves. 

Download and run the following utility and select 'delete':
http://update.macrium.com/Reflect/utilities/ReflectInstallDetails.exe

Hopefully this will correctly uninstall. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com
Robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Thank you, but what do I do about the key being wrong? But now the key makes no difference because the system won't boot. So I can't run anything.

Now I am getting an error that my Image file is corrupt, error 5. There were no errors when it backed up.

I tried to restore with V6 now the system won't boot or restore.

Is there anyway to fix whatever file is corrupt?

Robert

B
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thanks for getting back

, but what do I do about the key being wrong?

The Free Edition of Macrium Reflect doesn't require a key.  Where are you seeing htis problem?

Now I am getting an error that my Image file is corrupt, error 5. There were no errors when it backed up.

Where are you seeing this error? 

I tried to restore with V6 now the system won't boot or restore.

How can you restore with an invalid key and a corrupt image? I'm afraid there are several steps that don't connect.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Telos
Telos
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Nick - 11 March 2017 11:40 PM
Hi Telos

Sony you are having problems. 

Unfortunately you've use Revo uninstaller. This isn't  a product that we support or recommend. Revo has no idea what an uninstall action involves and cannot be trusted to remove software. At worst it can, and often does, create more problems than it solves. 

Download and run the following utility and select 'delete':
http://update.macrium.com/Reflect/utilities/ReflectInstallDetails.exe

Hopefully this will correctly uninstall. 

Thanks, Nick. When I ran the tool it couldn't find MR. So I reimaged my machine using a month old image. When I tried to update MR the installer started a drive scan as it couldn't find MR (even though a screen earlier correctly showed the installation path "D:\Program Files\Macrium". Using Control Panel install/uninstall I attempted a "repair". That seemed to run OK, but the subsequent upgrade installer had the same issue.

How I wish this could be a simple "exe" installation file.

Next, I will attempt to uninstall using the tool you linked and see if I can get a new installation going. I'll report back here. Thanks again.

Update.... I ran the uninstall tool. It finished in under 10 seconds but never touched the Program Files installation ("D" partition, if that is a factor). I'm not sure why that failed. When I tried the "Repair" button, it just hung. Since it revealed the installer location in c:\Windows\Installer... I went there and re-ran the installation (not a "repair"). So I'm about to boot w/finders crossed.
Edited 13 March 2017 12:26 AM by Telos
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...