File and Folder Backups not happening

Author
Marium
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and am trying to backup with Macrium Reflect v.6  I have set a Full Backup once a week on a Monday, and Incremental backups 7 days a week. (Full backup actually cancels incremental on Monday but that is ok)  I thought I had set it up to take care of all my partitions - the MBR small one, the C Drive one containing the OS files etc. and
the other partition labelled DATA M by my husband when I got a new computer in 2013.  I do not understand why my incremental backups are backing up the C Drive.  There are no
backups of the DATA M Drive which contain all the files I create myself.  I have tried setting up a separate Files and Folders backup but still no joy.

Please advise what I am doing wrong.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)
You talk mostly about image backups.  This section of the forum is for file and folder backups. 

You should be using the SAME XML (backup definition) file for BOTH the full backup and the incremental backup.  If you are doing that, then all the same partitions are being backed up.  If not, try doing that.  There should be ONE XML file and TWO scheduled backup files - one indication full backup and one indicating incremental backup. 

Be sure your XML file has ALL partitions checked for backup.

Marium
Marium
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Thank you for your reply. It has taken me a long time because I could not see any way of viewing this page.  The only way I can find my posts is through what I assume is a settings menu on far right of home page at top, clicking on Search and using my ID.
I did ask a question about this but was told to click on Member which I couldn`t see anywhere either. So for a while I gave up.

My original problem is solved, though I have not much idea how.  I am successfully backing up my C Drive with a full image once a week and incrementals every day except when full image running on to a separate USB Hard Drive from my File and Folders backup which goes to a different USB Hard Drive.  I back these up at different times of the day and this system is working ok.

I do not understand XML files.  The ones I have simply record the backup definition file as far as I can see.  To read the backups of files and folders I simply read from the USB Hard Drive.  Is that correct - I cannot read from XML files can I ?  Or are the files and folders on the USB Hard Drive XML files ? They appear as normal Word document files when I open the backups.

I am sorry if I sound dumb but I do find Macrium rather mystifying.

I also have a problem with the Menu resulting from testing my Rescue media from an additional USB Hard Drive but
presume I should pursue this on a different branch of this forum.

Thank you for your time and patience.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Hi Marium,

First, one point of confusion: It does indeed sound like you're using a Disk Image backup, even though you're in the Files and Folder Backup section.  Can you confirm that so we know which backup type we're talking about?  For future reference though, you can access the homepage of these forums by just going to http://forum.macrium.com.  From there you'll be able to find the appropriate sub-section, and when you're in any such section, toward the upper-left area of the page you'll find a left-to-right drill-down style bar showing where you are.  For example, as I write this post mine says Home > Reflect V6 > File and Folder Backup > File and Folder Backups Not Happening > Update Post.  I could click on any of those to jump "out" to the desired section.

Second, you said that you selected your OS partition for backup and then said you're confused as to why it's backing up your C drive.  Well assuming your OS is on your C drive like it is in almost all cases of Windows installations, it's backing up your C drive because you told it to when you selected your OS partition for backup, and since the OS files are constantly changing while the OS is running (log entries being generated, for example), you're always going to have changes there for an Incremental backup to capture.

Third, you shouldn't have a Full and Incremental job scheduled for the same day.  The proper way to configure the schedule is to set a Full to run on a Weekly schedule, then select the particular day you want it to run. Then add a new schedule selecting Incremental as the backup type, set it to Weekly, and check all days EXCEPT the day the Full runs.  That will get you the schedule you're looking for.

To answer your question about XML files, they ARE the backup definition files; those are one and the same. The Backup Definition Files tab within Reflect merely shows the ones that Reflect knows about from you having configured them on that system. They store the configuration of the job, e.g. what files/partitions get backed up, whether to use encryption/compression, what the retention rules are, etc.  They should be stored on the local system (not with the backups themselves) because the way the scheduling aspect works is that Reflect creates a Scheduled Task in Windows based on your scheduling selections that basically says, "Run the Reflect job described in this XML file."

If you want to back up M as a separate File and Folder backup, you can do so, in which case make sure the image backup does NOT contain your M drive, and then set a File and Folder backup for all of M. That would allow you to set different backup schedules and types for each if you desire.  I do that myself because I wanted a way to restore individual files from my Data partition in a way that preserved their original NTFS permissions, which isn't as easy extracting files from an image backup.

Lastly, if you find Reflect mystifying, I would strongly encourage you to read their online manual and Knowledge Base articles, as they are excellent.  Reflect is a very capable application, but if you've never worked with backup programs that have these kinds of options before (as opposed to applications that just sync changes from A to B), there is a bit of a learning curve -- but again, Macrium has done an outstanding job with their documentation.  Good luck!

Edited 3 April 2017 3:10 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...