Initial backup over more than one session

Author
Ravilious
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

I am completely new to Macrium and trying it out having spent the last two decades using Retrospect. Can I achieve on macrium what i could do with ease using retrospect. I need to back up a large 3TB hard drive containing media files. The issue is that for one reason or another I cannot do this with one large, long initial backup. I appreciate that macrium will monitor and only backup new files after the intial backup but its seems you cannot stop, switch off and resume that large initial backup at a later date.

Is this possible please as Retrospect always seemed to know what does and does not  need backing up.

Thanks a lot

Stephen
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Reflect can create an initial full backup of the complete contents of a 3 TB drive in one step provided that the destination has sufficient free space available.  If necessary, the backup can be split to use available space on more than one destination drive.  Reflect will automatically request another destination as it detects available free space nearing exhaustion.

Reflect v7's new Changed Block Tracker (CBT) is reset by each system reboot.  However, that does not prevent Reflect from creating differential and/or incremental backups following the initial full backup.  It only means that Reflect v7 must use the same process used in previous versions to detect changes for that purpose and that will take longer than using CBT.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 8 March 2017 1:52 PM by Arvy
Ravilious
Ravilious
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks for the reply but I dont think I am making myself clear, sorry.

When I start the start the initial backup in question I am told the duration of the backup is about 18 hours. I wont elaborate why but after 8 hours or so I have to stop work and switch off the computer, clearly that initial backup has not completed yet. I want to come back and continue where it left off backing up a few days later and not have to start over again.

Hope this makes the situation a bit clearer.

Thanks

Stephen
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)Expert (602 reputation)
I don't believe that is possible.  Since you are doing a file/folder backup you can split your backup into multiple parts - each part backing up SOME of the total folders that you are including in your backup.  Then you can run the pieces that you have time for and run other pieces several days later.  You can also just leave the current backup as is and set the option to shut down when completed.  That way you can leave your computer running but it will shut itself off after the backup and not remain on for several days. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...