Synthetic full can break based on backup FOLDER contents?

Author
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm reading the Retention Rules KB @ http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/_Retention+Rules and it says the following for the Synthetic Full option: "When purging Incremental backups, if the backup folder only contains a Full backup followed by Incremental backups, then this option causes the Full backup to be 'rolled forward' to create a Synthetic Full backup."  Is that really supposed to say "folder" rather than "set"?  It seems strange to me that synthetic fulls might break just because another backup set, potentially from a completely different definition file, might exist in the same folder.  But I'm also wondering about a previous backup set from that same definition file, caused by manual (possibly inadvertent) execution of a new Full.  For example, I have synthetic fulls running nicely for one of my clients, but if they at some point accidentally run a manual Full, I would expect subsequent scheduled executions of that definition file to generate Incrementals off of that new Full and resume creating synthetic fulls once the Incremental retention threshold is reached on that new backup set -- and then possibly even purge the "tombstoned" backup set (the files before the manual Full) according to the disk space threshold setting if that point were reached.  Is that not how it would work?

Edited 7 March 2017 3:42 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Bump -- I'd appreciate clarification on the KB wording and the scenario I described from Macrium staff if possible.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Apologies the wording should say 'set' rather than 'folder'. This has now been updated. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...