Continous Incrementals

Author
Peter2150
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone know exactly what this feature will be.
Peter2150
Peter2150
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
I guess after six days, I am  to assume no one does know.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Peter 

Apologies for the delay in replying. Please see this KB article:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/_Retention+Rules

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Nick, I believe Peter was referring to the NEW "Continuous Incrementals" available "shortly" after the v7 release.  Your LINK above doesn't deal with that.
Peter2150
Peter2150
Hi Nick

That is correct.   I currently have schedules inV6 to take hourly incrementals, so what do I gain with 7

Thanks,

Pete
Peter2150
Peter2150
Hi Nick

It's been 10 days since I posted my response to you here.   Still waiting.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Peter

Apologies we have been rather busy lately.  We will be adding the ability to schedule 'Intra-daily' Incrementals with a user configurable time gap of as little as 10 or 15 minutes. 

The challenges for this functionality include:

1. Ensuring that Intra-Daily incs are as fast  and small as possible.
2. Improving the logs and restore views to cope with potentially many hundreds (or thousands) of restore points. 
3. Improving the backup set logic to enable daily 'branching'. This will allow an Incremental or diff to have multiple children in the same set. 

e.g, A single backup set could look like this:

Full
Inc1 > Day1 IntraDay1,  Inc IntraDay2, Inc IntraDay3 ..... Inc IntraDayn
Inc2 > Day2 IntraDay1,  Inc IntraDay2, Inc IntraDay3 ..... Inc IntraDayn 
Incn > Dayn IntraDay1,  Inc IntraDay2, Inc IntraDay3 ..... Inc IntraDayn 

The initial release may not necessarily include branching due to the develop time. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Peter2150
Peter2150
Thanks Nick.  Appreciate the info.
David
David
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Hi Everyone. I am also interested in intraday incrementals. As a programmer, I'm interested in frequent (30 min?) incremental backups of a few folders containing about 100 MB. There are quite a few alternatives, some of which I've seen in these forums (fora?):
1) In a loop in VBscript, run Reflect from the command-line and then sleep.
2) In Task Scheduler, launching Reflect from the command-line (I like this one better, it can handle errors, retries and such).
3) Scheduling multiple daily backups. Messy. Too complex.

I just started using File History in Windows 10, which is OK, so intraday incrementals is a nice-to-have, I'm not dying here.

I did not appreciate the complexities you list above in this thread. It makes sense to limit the scope of an intraday incrementals feature. I'm not interested in hourly disk images, which is a lot tougher to do than a few folders. Some other companies do offer continuous or near-continuous backups of entire computers, probably for an arm and a leg, and it makes little sense for Macrium to try to compete with those companies.

I did not think of branches. That could be in version 2 of an intraday incrementals feature. If I wanted something like that, it might make better sense to have my own instance of git or svn.

OK, enough said.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...