Clone a 1 TB WD Caviar Black (WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0) - 1 Surface Defect Found

Clone a 1 TB WD Caviar Black (WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0) - 1 Surface Defect...
Author
baumgrenze
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My 1 TB WD Caviar Black (WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0) data drive changed from NTFS to RAW a few days ago. Minitools Partition Manager Free 10 (MPMF) did run a surface check and found a flaw in the 9th box in their display.

My helper on sevenforums.com suggested that I copy the disk to my external 2TB backup drive (Seagate 2TB  ST2000DM001-1ER ) before attempting to work on the drive. I thought of using the clone feature of MR, but I find conflicting information regarding cloning a disk with a bad sector (which i understand is what MPMF found in its surface check.)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I just updated my MR Ver 6 to 6.3.1467. Should I be able to clone the data on the malfunctioning drive with confidence that I have a backup copy before we mess with the WD drive?

If I failed to ask something else germane, please let me know.

thanks
baumgrenze

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation

I've never had this problem but it shows the need for a backup before nasty things happen.
FWIW:
If the drive is RAW then it means that the formatted filesystem is not recognizable. While imaging programs work at a lower level than backups utilizing he filesystem, they still need to know certain things about the structure to do the image or clone and since your disk is RAW that info is not available.

Normally in bad cluster cases the first thing to do is to run chkdsk /r until the bad sectors are mapped out. This doesn't mean the disk is restored it just means the bad sectors are out of the picture and replaced with other but the replacements don't have the correct data. So if the mapped out bad sectors are critical to your data or filesystem you have lost the data or the filesystem is still bad.  In your case, since the drive isn't recognizable I chkdsk likely won't see it anyway to attempt the /r procedure.

If Reflect can see your RAW disk:
Reflect has a Forensic Copy option which will copy every sector whether it is is in-use or not to the target drive. Because it just does all sectors it does not have to know anything about the filesystem. This will take some time because it will copy the whole TB.

Reflect has an "Ignore bad sectors" under Other Tasks - Edit Defaults - Advanced but you sitll have the problem of the disk not being recognized as NTFS so I don't think this is a help - normally it is used when cloning or imaging a disk with some bad sectors not when the whole disk is unrecognizable.

If Reflect can't see your bad disk then you are going to have to find some other program made for data recovery. Imaging programs are really intended for backup purposes not correcting disk problems.

I would suggest you consider attempting your fixes on the 2TB drive so your original doesn't get screwed up with failed attempts and you then find out you need to do something with the original. 

Hopefully somebody who has gone through this issue will enlighten us better with their experience.

baumgrenze
baumgrenze
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you for the insights.
baumgrenze

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...