CBT issues & questions

Author
Yastis
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After searching the knowledge base and this forum, some questions about the Changed Block Tracker remain:
  • Are the tracking files newly created on each session?
  • Should I take care of the tracking files when mirroring a drive using robocopy?
  • Event log: 'Created a new tracking file file on device ...' shows up as warning. Why not as an info? I don't like to clutter my event log with evitable warnings.
  • Can I exclude a drive from CBT monitoring?
  • Where can I see whether the CBT driver is properly installed? MrCbtTools always show in File Menu 'Install CBT driver ...', although after doing so. Shouldn't be grayed out when driver installed?
  • I upgraded from V6 to V7 in the middle of an incremental backup chain. Do I have to start a new backup chain to fully activate CBT? At the moment, I cannot see the 'Running Man' on any drive and logs are missing the 'CBT init success' entry. My System: W10 x64 1607 Bld 14393.726. All Macrium Reflect files are excluded from antivirus software (Defender & MBAM 6.x).
Apologies if some questions are already answered somewhere.

Regards
Yastis

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Yastis,

Thank you for your post. Please find below, answers to each of your questions...

Are the tracking files newly created on each session?
Yes, new tracking files are created each session.

Should I take care of the tracking files when mirroring a drive using robocopy?
No - the tracking files are specific to each drive.

Event log: 'Created a new tracking file file on device ...' shows up as warning. Why not as an info? I don't like to clutter my event log with evitable warnings.
We are aware of this issue and it will be fixed in a future release.

Can I exclude a drive from CBT monitoring?
Not at present but this is something that we have discussed and it will be available in a future release.

Where can I see whether the CBT driver is properly installed? MrCbtTools always show in File Menu 'Install CBT driver ...', although after doing so. Shouldn't be grayed out when driver installed?
If MrCbtTools displays the map of the changes blocks (blue rectangles) then CBT is functioning properly. Also, if you are seeing the CBT event log entries, it is functioning properly. We will also be addressing the “grayed out” menu option in a future release.

I upgraded from V6 to V7 in the middle of an incremental backup chain. Do I have to start a new backup chain to fully activate CBT? At the moment, I cannot see the 'Running Man' on any drive and logs are missing the 'CBT init success' entry. My System: W10 x64 1607 Bld 14393.726. All Macrium Reflect files are excluded from antivirus software (Defender & MBAM 6.x).
No, you do not need to start a new backup chain. The first incremental or differential of the session, on a specific backup chain, will always use the original method. For the remainder of the session, any further incremental or differential backup performed (on that backup chain) should use the new CBT method. If after performing the first incremental you do not see the “Running Man” icon or “CBT Init Success”, please could you open a support ticket here: https://www.macrium.com/contact/product-support

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Jamie – Macrium Support

Yastis
Yastis
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Hi Jamie,

Thank you very much for quickly answering all my questions. The new CBT method works now flawlessly. However, to get this to work, I have to run a backup task directly after every session start? There's a virtual machine running every day (hardened for safe browsing). This means, the VDMK file (about 25GB) changes daily. The (delta) changes are not recognised unless at least one backup task has been run in the beginning of a session, isn't it?

By the way: The Running Man icon is still absent - where exactly this icon should show up? The 'CBT init success' entry is now present in logs.

Regards
Yastis

Edited 3 March 2017 7:49 AM by Yastis
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)Macrium Representative (206 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Yastis,

When you run a Macrium Reflect incremental or differential backup, it will automatically detect if CBT tracking can be used. There is no user intervention required and there is no need to run a backup task directly after every session start. Simply continue to use Reflect in the normal way.

“CBT Init Success” is a clear indicator that CBT is functioning correctly. We are not sure why the “Running Man” icon isn’t displaying and we will address this as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
Jamie – Macrium Support

Yastis
Yastis
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for clarification. If CBT works, I see the icon as a 'goodie' (if I find it).

Regards
Yastis

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...