This PC in WinPE 10 displays hidden partitions?

Author
dbminter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This may be a Microsoft issue as it may be the way the Windows 10 PE behaves.  But, I noticed something for the first time in the WinPE environment.

I have a Dell PC and, as such, it has a few hidden and unformatted partitions of about 400 MB each.  In Windows 10, these partitions are hidden and not visible.  When booting into the Windows 10 WinPE recovery environment for Reflect, when in This PC, those partitions are visible.

Is this supposed to behave this way?  If not, is this an issue with WinPE that Microsoft needs to address?

Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)Guru (1.4K reputation)
You're probably viewing those partitions within Macrium Reflect... it does see them all.  Under LIVE Windows, Explorer cannot see them and even Disk Mgmt can't see them all.  Reflect running under LIVE WIndows should be able to see them all just like the PE.
dbminter
dbminter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)Advanced Member (512 reputation)
Well, I do expect the partitions to be visible within the interface of Reflect in WinPE for like Backup source partitions.  I don't expect them to be visible in This PC in WinPE, like they aren't visible in This PC in Windows 10.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I disagree, WinPE is Windows Preparation Environment which was originally a Microsoft tool given to corporate customers who had large license agreements with them with the intent on making setting up multiple PCs quicker. It was not intended as a consumer tool but its usefulness caused it to move across into the end-user domain.  Regardless of the history it is not regular Windows and is more of a technical tool and as such it should provide all the information it can with no requirement to mimic Windows.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...