restore image cd

Author
mike lovell
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
having made an image cd, how do I test it apart from starting a recovery situation

et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)Proficient Member (336 reputation)
To test a Windows PE rescue CD without actually doing a restore, you can use other features on the rescue media to check it is working, (a) is a must but the other steps below help to test it is working without actually doing a restore. After doing (a) just select some or all from (b), (c) or (d) to build confidence in the rescue media:
(a) Boot your computer with the rescue media and make sure it boots, you may have to change the BIOS boot order so it boots from CD before your hard drive.
(b) Once the CD is booted Browse an Image backup in Windows Explorer, by selecting 'Explore Image' from the 'Restore' menu....
(c) Create an Image backup
(d) Create a File and folder backup

The benefit of doing (b), (c) or (d) using the Destination hard drive (such as a USB external hard drive) is that it checks you have the correct PE version in the rescue media. For instance if you have created Windows PE 3.1 but have a USB3 external hard drive then the rescue media will need additional drivers to see USB3. In this case you would need Windows PE 5 or 10 and not 3.1 to see the USB3 drive.

Hope this helps
Regards, et

Edited 25 February 2017 12:31 PM by et_and_family
Marium
Marium
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Hope it is ok for me to jump into this thread. New to this forum.

Am not quite clear when you say you would need Windows PE 5 or 10 and not 3.1 to see the USB3 Drive.  Are you saying that if you cannot see the USB 3 Drive when you boot, you have an error in the Rescue Media. Should Macrium not have installed these other drives if you are going to need them to boot up the Rescue Media. 
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
Marium, PE3 (Windows 7) has no indigenous (from MicroSloth) USB3 support... all support comes from 3rd parties depending on the USB3 hardware used o  your System.

In the past, it had been noticed that Reflect sometimes could not find an identifiable driver associated with 3rd party USB3 hardware (not always a Reflect problem), and as a result, its created Recovery Media would not function at USB3 levels when using that interface.  To solve this issue, it was suggested to use either PE5 (Windows 8.1) or PE10 (Windows 10) to create your Recovery Media... each of these contained MicroSloth supported USB3 hardware drivers.

The PE OS DOES NOT have to match the OS System being imaged (only the hardware being used to run the Recovery Media), and as such, many have suggested using PE10 for mixed hardware environments due to its richer set of drivers.
Edited 5 March 2017 12:52 PM by Froggie
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
PS- even if your USB3 drive is connected to a improperly managed USB3 port (no USB3 driver available), usually the drive will show up for imaging purposes as most of those port types will run using generic USB2 drivers... but not always.  The drives work just fine if connected to a real USB2 port.
Edited 5 March 2017 12:56 PM by Froggie
Marium
Marium
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Jumping back in.  

Thank you Guni for reply re: drivers. I think I understand that but in any case I don`t have any problem with my USB ports at present.

Thank you very much et-and-family for clarifying how to use the menu that comes up when I have booted up the Rescue HD.  I had not realised I had to create backups to check the Rescue Media.  

Do I do the same thing if I am actually restoring Windows 7 through the Rescue Media HD ?  Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I am anxious to get this right before I actually have the problem.
At the moment my backups are working fine, and my Rescue Media HD is booting ok.

Still finding the route to finding my posts tricky to negotiate but getting there. 

Marium
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...