Clone MBR Disk to GPT disk Without Changing the GPT to an MBR

Author
meebzorp
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
So I thought this must be a very common, simple task to accomplish, but I could not accomplish it with Reflect.
My "pure data" disk D: drive with music, videos, etc. (no boot record needed) is a 2 TB MBR drive that was running out of space. I purchased a new 6 TB drive formatted as GPT as I need it to look like a single 6 TB volume.
I was surprised to find out that when I cloned my 2 TB MBR drive to my new 6 TB drive with Reflect, it converted the new drive from GPT to MBR, so I could no longer make the volume larger than 2 TB, the MBR limit.
I searched Reflect documentation but was unable to make this happen.
I ended up downloading a free disk manager that accomplished this with a single click.
Am I missing something? I did see a KB article on moving MBR to GPT, but this a) seemed very involved and b) had a warning that the article was outdated.
So my question is, can Reflect clone an MBR disk to a GPT disk without reverting it to an MBR? Seems like a no-brainer requirement to me.

Thanks!

Lee
Lee
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)Macrium Representative (176 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi meebzorp,

Thanks for posting.

If you extend the cloned partition to 6TB in the clone wizard then the target disk will be automatically converted to GPT. The max size for MBR is 2TB so the disk must be converted.

Please see this KB article. The operation for cloning is the same as restoring:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Modifying+restored+paritition+properties

Kind Regards,

Lee - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...