Adding Drivers to Technician USB

Author
XOSDigital
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, my company just received one of Dell's new Lattitude laptops, 7480. When I take the technician USB and open it up on the laptop, and click Add drivers, it detects that it needs the Ethernet driver. So I load that successfully. I go back into Macrium, and the onboard NIC now works. So that's one step out of the way. But another driver issue remains. I cannot use the touchpad mouse within Macrium. I can use it on the desktop and BIOS fine, but when I load into Macrium, the touchpad is inactive. The thing is, when I go to add drivers, it doesn't even detect that it is missing that driver.

I loaded the driver onto another USB and attempted to have it scan that, but it isn't picking it up. So I tried manually insert it into the drivers folder on the USB itself, but it still won't detect it there (then again, I've never really had any success in adding them manually to begin with, so I wasn't really expecting that to work.

Has anyone either successfully added drivers manually to the Technicians USB or found away to add them through macrium's add drivers even if they do not show up in that section as needing the driver?

Thank you for your help with this.
As an edit: OS is Windows 10.

Edited 15 February 2017 7:35 PM by XOSDigital
et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)Proficient Member (344 reputation)
Have you tried to follow the section 'Adding drivers to the Technicians USB stick in Windows' in the following tutorial: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Technicians+portable+application+support#Techniciansportableapplicationsupport-AddingdriverstotheportablePEenvironment
Or are you having problems with the tutorial?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
What PE version does your Rescue Media use?  If it's 3.1 (based on Win7), I'm guessing that the issue isn't your touchpad directly, but rather that your new Dell system only uses USB 3 internally and that's how the touchpad interfaces with the system. The problem is that Win7/WinPE 3.1 have no native support for USB 3, which would prevent access to anything connected through a USB 3 controller.  The fix would be either adding USB 3.0 xHCI drivers to your Win7/WinPE 3.1 Rescue Media or just building new Rescue Media based off a newer WinPE version (native USB 3 support arrived with WinPE versions based off Win8.0). Using a newer PE version might be handy anyway now that M.2/NVMe/PCIe SSDs are becoming more common, which Win7 also does not natively support; native NVMe support was introduced in WinPE based off of Win8.1.

As for the question of how to add drivers to Technician Rescue Media, unless the folder structure is very different from standard Rescue Media, you should find a folder called \Drivers with subfolders USB, NET, and Disk (or similar).  You can create new subfolders under any of those for any drivers you want to add manually.

Edited 4 April 2017 1:13 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...