Image back up, "freezes " 90% into the process

Author
HOWARD
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Gentlemen..... I've spent the last few hours trying to make a complete mirror image back up of my system without success !  The back up proceeds to about 90% according to the tracking window, then total freezes or locks up continues no further .
     Several weeks ago installed a SSD hard drive and did a fresh Windows 7 install plus an image of this drive. Over past weeks of coarse have been populating the drive with various programs, along the way several incremental back up were made. Installed Adobe photo shop today tried making an "Incremental" at the end of the day and that froze up about 30% into the process. Cleared myself totally out,re-started system, even replaced the "destination hard drive",  then preceded to again make a" Full image" image.
    It proceeded along very well till it indicated 91% completed ..... then stopped & froze where it now sits!

Simply  there has this problem been seen before and is there anything on my part that this old guy could be doing wrong in doing this back up process ?

Howard

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Are you making in image instead of a clone?

Is there anything suspicious in the log?

Regardless, I'd run chkdsk /r on the partitions. You can probably tell from the log or from the progress on the screen which partition is locking up on you so do that one first and see if it fixes it. Note that the /r switch will check the filesystem integrity first and then do a read-check on both used and un-used clusters. If the partition is large it will take some time but shouldn't be too bad with a SSD.  No guarantee this will correct the problem but it is always good to know the source disk is in good shape before pursuing other ideas.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...