Differences encountered cloning to new 240 SSD vs. older 250 SSD

Author
cgallery
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I have a 320GB drive I tried cloning to a new Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB.  I'm using 6.3.1665 (the latest Macrium Workstation Ed.).  The notebook O/S is Win7 Home.
The clone completes w/o any errors, but the notebook won't boot, I just get a blinking cursor.  I tried a million ways, with the new SSD as a USB attached drive, with the new SSD as the internal drive and the original drive connected via USB, and even both drives out and connected to my desktop machine via USB connections.  Same result, blinking cursor.  I tried the "Fix Boot" option in the Macrium USB boot drive and it runs through the routine, but the result is the same, just a blinking cursor.
On a lark, I tried copying to a Plextor SSD (this is a 250GB (PX-0256M5S).  And it worked fine.  I tried it a couple of times, the Plextor always boots fine.
So I figured maybe the Sandisk had a compatibility issue or what-not, and ordered a PNY CS1311 SSD 240-GB drive.  I'm having the same problem as the Sandisk.  I can copy w/o errors, but the drive won't boot, and the "Fix booting problems" feature doesn't help.
I'm having the same sort of issue with a Sony Vaio notebook.  The 480-SSD won't boot after cloning.  In this case, though, I don't have a large enough older SSD to try swapping for the newer drive.
So what gives, what could be different about these newer SSD drives that will prevent booting after a copy, whereas the Plextor boots fine?

cgallery
cgallery
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Well on the HP (2000-329WM) anyway, looks to be a compatibility issue with both the Kingston and the PNY SSD 240 drives.  I was unable to even get a new load of Win7 booting, same symptom after the files were copied and the machine was doing its first reboot, which was just a flashing cursor.  I guess this thing will have to use the older Plextor drive.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...