Scheduled Tasks - Focus

Author
Vongalin
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Good evening all,
I've been running into issues lately when my scheduled tasks kick off. I have tasks scheduled for incremental at 9:00am, 12:00pm, 6:00pm and 9:00pm. I am on Windows 10 AU w/all the latest patches, updates, etc. The tasks kick off and run successfully (really rock solid product to be honest). The problem occurs when the task starts. It quickly steals focus from my active application. I have the popups disabled and no notifications displayed (no balloons, no tray messages, all disabled).

If I am in a full screen game (most of the time), it will minimize the game and go to the Desktop. This only occurs when the task starts and not when it finishes (typically 3-6 minutes later). If my game is configured for full screen, it will minimize. If I configure it for full screen / windowed mode, it will "hiccup" as it lost focus but I can quickly click inside the game to regain control. I do run Logitech Gaming Software with Profiles enabled. This allows me to assign keystrokes to mouse buttons for strafing, etc. When this happens, I lose those settings for the game and have to ALT+TAB out again to reapply the settings. I may have fixed the Profile option by enabling the "lock profile" option in the LGS software, but the focus is still lost for the split second (forcing me to click in the game to regain).

Is there any setting in the software and/or Task Scheduler that can eliminate the focus stealing ?

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
I have brought this issue up before, long ago, and it's still an issue for me.  I guess it's either been forgotten by Macrium staff or it is something they chose not to address.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Gork - 17 January 2017 10:46 AM
I have brought this issue up before, long ago, and it's still an issue for me.  I guess it's either been forgotten by Macrium staff or it is something they chose not to address.

Hello Gork, Vongalin,

I can confirm that the development team are looking into this issue and have been for awhile, it has not been forgotten.

Kind regards

Stephen - Macrium Support

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Thanks for the update.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Steven
Steven
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Stephen - 18 January 2017 4:08 PM
Gork - 17 January 2017 10:46 AM

Hello Gork, Vongalin,

I can confirm that the development team are looking into this issue and have been for awhile, it has not been forgotten.

Good to know, thank you for the update glad it's still being worked on. I have been plagued by this issue as well and having my backup run every hour it really is a problem on game nights and interrupts my work in the Adobe suite.
I'm sure it's a complex issue and with Microsoft updating and breaking Windows 10 it's probably not helping.

Hopefully that bug can be figured out because Macrium Reflect is a rock solid image based backup solution that I loved most after demoing everything from Acronis TrueImage to StorageCraft ShadowProtect.

Vongalin
Vongalin
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Good afternoon all,
Any update on this being addressed in v6 ? If not for v6, can someone confirm if this has been corrected in v7 or not ? I've held off on v7 (and plan to); however, if this focus issued has been resolved, it may change my mind on the upgrade.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Just tested this for you, and it does not appear to be fixed.  I'm on Win10 Creators Update, latest V7 release.  I created a backup job scheduled 2 minutes into the future, closed Reflect, then launched a video file in Windows Media Player and put it into full screen.  It got knocked out of full screen when the popup giving me the option to postpone the backup appeared. Sorry!

@Macrium, would using the Windows notifications API for this resolve the issue?  I'm referring to the balloon-style notifications over system tray icons in earlier Windows releases and the rectangular pop-out notifications in the lower-right corner on newer releases.  Those are always visible to the user when outside of full-screen applications, so you wouldn't have to worry about trying to pop the current notification UNDER everything else inciting complaints that the postpone notification wasn't discoverable from users who want it to be, but I don't believe those notifications ever actually pull focus, so it would seem to be a win-win.  The notification could maybe just say, "A backup is about to run. Click here if you need to postpone it.", and doing so would surface the popup that appears today under the current design. It wouldn't be quite as convenient for people who actually need to postpone since they'd require two clicks rather than one in order to do so, but somewhat less convenience for an action that should be the exception rather than the rule might be better overall than focus being pulled every time.  Windows 10 users would even benefit by being able to suppress these notifications completely using the Quiet Hours feature.

Edited 15 August 2017 2:25 PM by jphughan
Vongalin
Vongalin
Thank you for testing this in v7. Note, I also have all the notices and popups disabled (postpone, etc.). No matter as it still knocks me out of full screen. I have tried quite a few settings in Scheduled Tasks, e.g. priorities, etc., and nothing seems to have any effect. If I am in a windowed program when it kicks off, the window loses focus. Since my mouse doesn't move at that point, simply clicking again returns me to the original window. This is not the case when in fullscreen.

I have my incrementals running every 3 hours. The tasks do run; however, I am almost always in full screen for gaming, video, etc Being knocked back to the Desktop for no reason is truly annoying. I moved from Acronis to Macrium and it appears now that I'll be searching/trialing other software now that does not do this.

Thank you again for taking time to test this out in v7.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi 

Unfortunately it's the Windows notification area that's stealing the focus not the Reflect notifications. 

If you haven't done so already, create the following registry entry:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macrium\Reflect\Settings
Name: DisableTrayNotifications
Type: DWORD
Value: 1

This will prevent notifications during a backup.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Vongalin
Vongalin
Thanks for the registry setting. I didn't have that applied; however, I had every other notification disabled already (from within the app). I made the changes, rebooted and will make sure to be full screen for the next scheduled run.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...