Macrium Support Forum

Notepad?

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic64788.aspx

By dbminter - 2 October 2022 9:48 PM

Is it possible to open Notepad in the WinPE/RE that Rescue Media loads?  Is a copy of Notepad included on the Rescue Media?  I was wondering because it could prove useful if you needed to record results of various Rescue Media tests you needed to perform, which I had to today.  Just fire up the text editor and save a text file to, say, the flash drive for Rescue Media or an internal attached device.

Thanks!
By Drac144 - 2 October 2022 11:05 PM

Couldn't you just add a standalone text editor to the rescure media OR to another flash drive (or other external drive)? There are small standalone editors that do not need installation.
By dbminter - 2 October 2022 11:18 PM

How would they be executed in WinPE/RE?  A DOS one could be issued from the Command Prompt, but would a standalone text editor run from a Command Prompt?  And good luck finding a DOS based text editor in this day and age.
By jphughan - 2 October 2022 11:24 PM

Open Command Prompt from the taskbar and type “Notepad”. Command Prompt is capable of launching GUI applications.
By JK - 2 October 2022 11:33 PM

And good luck finding a DOS based text editor in this day and age.

You can always install Emacs...
By dbminter - 3 October 2022 12:07 AM

I just tested it and Notepad is included in the WinRE on my system.  I didn't know if it was packaged in there or not and I had forgotten that Command Prompt could run some GUI apps.  I know I've tried it on others where running the executable just didn't load anything.
By jphughan - 3 October 2022 12:18 AM

The EXE you load has to work within WinPE/RE, and many don’t. But Notepad is part of default WinPE/RE builds. Smile