Macrium Support Forum

Retention Template with least amount of writing?

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic60994.aspx

By wjg - 13 April 2022 9:34 PM

Is there any particular template that has the least amount of writing?
I do a Full Synthetic, and everyday that large full backup needs to be collapsed and re-written.
By jphughan - 13 April 2022 11:08 PM

A Synthetic Full doesn’t involve rewriting the entire contents of the Full. It involves writing the contents of the Incremental being consolidated into it. But if you want to eliminate consolidation operations, you would either need to periodically create a new Full or else never delete any existing backups. The former may involve more total writing depending on the frequency you select, and the latter is typically not practical.

If you’re asking because you’re worried about SSD endurance, that is totally overblown these days for any typical use case. You might check stats on your SSDs total writes against its TBW rating if you want to see for yourself. My everyday laptop’s main SSD has a projected lifespan of 75 years on that basis, for example.
By wjg - 13 April 2022 11:33 PM

jphughan - 13 April 2022 11:08 PM
A Synthetic Full doesn’t involve rewriting the entire contents of the Full. It involves writing the contents of the Incremental being consolidated into it. But if you want to eliminate consolidation operations, you would either need to periodically create a new Full or else never delete any existing backups. The former may involve more total writing depending on the frequency you select, and the latter is typically not practical.If you’re asking because you’re worried about SSD endurance, that is totally overblown these days for any typical use case. You might check stats on your SSDs total writes against its TBW rating if you want to see for yourself. My everyday laptop’s main SSD has a projected lifespan of 75 years on that basis, for example.

OK.  I thought it was a full rewrite of the ful backup with the oldest incremental being collapsed into it.
It just takes a long time.  I am making the backup copy, then I am also Robocopying the backup to an external drive.  So that is doing a full write then correct?  Or, should I just do some sort of other backup, of my backup files to my external drive?  I am using a decent HDD for backups.  It just seems to take longer than it should.  I am actually more worried about a HDD failing before a SSD.
Before Macrium, I used StorageCraft.  There was an option to select when incrementals were collapsed (daily, weekly, or pick days) as opposed to Macrium's collapse when the number of incrementals are met.  For example, I could run an incremental every hour during working hours, then every 4 hours, but then only collapse once a week.  In fact, Storagecraft had options to collapse intra-daily intrementals into daily incrementals, and then previous collapsed daily incrementals into weekly incrementals and so on for monthly.  I still prefer Macrium because the GUI is far better, its far more versatile for non-server use.  I just wish there was a way to keep making Full Synthetic incrementals, but not collapse everytime one is made.
Perhaps I should be looking at non-synthetic?   I am just used to Storagecrafts version of Full-Synthetic.  Incremental as often as you want, collapse whenever you want.
By jphughan - 13 April 2022 11:51 PM

If you’re Robocopying, then you might want to disable Synthetic Fulls, in which case Reflect will only consolidate along Incrementals. That will avoid having to replicate that Full constantly (you’ll instead only be replicating the oldest remaining Incremental), but it will also keep the Full “frozen in time”, so you’ll want to create a new one periodically. This is what I do because I’m also Robocopying.

Reflect doesn’t directly offer a way to customize when consolidation occurs. To do that, you would have to split your backup strategy into two definition files. The one that you would use for most backups would have no Incremental retention policy defined, so that it never caused a consolidation. And the other would have a backup scheduled only occasionally (once per week or month or whatever you wanted), but WOULD have the Incremental policy. The result would be that consolidations would only occur only when backups scheduled under that less frequent definition file ran. It’s totally possible and fine to have backups in a single set that were created by different definition files.
By wjg - 13 April 2022 11:56 PM

jphughan - 13 April 2022 11:51 PM
If you’re Robocopying, then you might want to disable Synthetic Fulls, in which case Reflect will only consolidate along Incrementals. That will avoid having to replicate that Full constantly (you’ll instead only be replicating the oldest remaining Incremental), but it will also keep the Full “frozen in time”, so you’ll want to create a new one periodically. This is what I do because I’m also Robocopying.Reflect doesn’t directly offer a way to customize when consolidation occurs. To do that, you would have to split your backup strategy into two definition files. The one that you would use for most backups would have no Incremental retention policy defined, so that it never caused a consolidation. And the other would have a backup scheduled only occasionally (once per week or month or whatever you wanted), but WOULD have the Incremental policy. The result would be that consolidations would only occur only when backups scheduled under that less frequent definition file ran. It’s totally possible and fine to have backups in a single set that were created by different definition files.

Creating different definitions and scripts files for the same backup?  That would be new to me, and something I would need to investigate.
By jphughan - 14 April 2022 12:18 AM

I’ve helped others do it here before, for the same reason of having retention policy behavior that isn’t otherwise achievable. It’s a fairly simple matter of duplicating the existing definition file (just right-click it in Reflect) and then setting different schedules and retention policies in each, keeping everything else about them the same.
By airbus - 14 May 2022 8:57 AM

jphughan can you give us an example?
for example i want to have an image of my boot drive "C" for a period of 45 days.  i want one full backup in the beginning of the month and every day one incremental or differential backup. i dont want any consolidation or any excess read/writing every day because i work on this pc. i just want the per day backup when i turn on my pc, to be fast.
By jphughan - 14 May 2022 2:46 PM

airbus - 14 May 2022 8:57 AM
jphughan can you give us an example?
for example i want to have an image of my boot drive "C" for a period of 45 days.  i want one full backup in the beginning of the month and every day one incremental or differential backup. i dont want any consolidation or any excess read/writing every day because i work on this pc. i just want the per day backup when i turn on my pc, to be fast.

I could, but you might find it easier to use the "disable consolidation" registry tweak that Macrium just implemented in Reflect 8.0.6758, documented here.  That is a bit more reliable than my dual definition file method because mine relies on the number of existing Incrementals or time span of existing Incrementals exactly matching the definition file settings, so if that job ever ran at an unusual time, you could still end up with consolidation.  The registry tweak doesn't have that issue.

But beyond that, you mentioned you want one Incremental or Differential backup every day.  If you use Incrementals, then lack of consolidation means you'd have to accept losing the entire chain at the same time, which in your case would be a month's worth of backups.  Are you sure you're ok with losing a month's worth of backups all at once?  The reason I ask is that if you use Differentials, then you can purge them one at a time and still wouldn't have consoldiation, because consolidation doesn't occur with Differentials.  So that more granular deletion might appeal to you.  The drawbacks of using Differentials are that compared to Incrementals, your backups will be larger, so you'll need more destination storage capacity to retain a given history and the backups will take a bit longer to create compared to a no-consolidation Incremental strategy.