Macrium Support Forum

Can't Dismount an Image after Viewing

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic5824.aspx

By genem - 23 January 2016 9:37 PM

On one Win10 machine here, using a Free installation (6.1 1023), I mounted an imaged, pulled off a few files, then couldn't find a way to dismount it. The appropriate context menu entry is not displayed.

I have a USB Hard Drive with the backup. That was mounted and I then mounted the backup file.
When I couldn't dismount the mounted image file, I didn't wan't to yank the USB Hard Drive hosting it, so I just powered down thinking that would be safest. I then rebooted w/o the USB Hard Drive present and see that the mounted Image is still there as N: !

(See attached .png for footnotes)

Thought I'd try it again, and hope the context menu entry would be ok. Same thing (3). ow after a reboot, I have N: and O:. (2)
Of course, any action results in an error.
These drive letters are not visible in DiskMgmt.msc.
These volumes are not visible in DiskPart's LIST VOL.

Not sure what else I can do here...
Thanks,
Gene

By Gork - 24 January 2016 6:26 AM

From within Reflect are you able to choose Restore -> Detach Image by chance?
By Nick - 24 January 2016 4:21 PM

Hi Gene

Thanks for posting. Please see this KB article that describes how to re-register the Windows Explorer context menus:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Windows+Explorer+shell+extensions+missing
By genem - 25 January 2016 3:46 AM

ok, thank you. This happened after a clean install of Win 10 (new HDD) followed by a Reflect Install, so not sure how this aligns with the "After an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 ..." position, but next time this happens, I'll give it a try.

I wasn't aware you replied to the thread (need to check my settings), but wound up doing this to force dismount the drive letters.

Clean out of:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
HKEY_USERS\. Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Mountpoint2\
By stevenmonrad - 10 February 2016 8:02 PM

Same question. Installed free version, created 2 virtual drives. Paid for 4 licenses, attempted install of paid version, will not install because 2 virtual drives are "in use" (Reflect is not running). No right click context menu to delete or dismount in Explorer.
Based on answers above, this is not a end-user program but requires programming knowledge to implement and operate.
Note that "dismount" does not occur in the User Guide.

By stevenmonrad - 10 February 2016 8:35 PM

stevenmonrad - 10 February 2016 8:02 PM
Same question. Installed free version, created 2 virtual drives. Paid for 4 licenses, attempted install of paid version, will not install because 2 virtual drives are "in use" (Reflect is not running). No right click context menu to delete or dismount in Explorer.
Based on answers above, this is not a end-user program but requires programming knowledge to implement and operate.
Note that "dismount" does not occur in the User Guide.

I was able to dismount, or detach as posted above and recommended in that post in Macrium/Restore/Detach by moving the hard drive to another machine with Macrium.