Macrium Support Forum

Scheduling stopped working

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic5422.aspx

By jewelr - 29 December 2015 4:31 AM

For some reason my backup will no longer run on the schedule. About a 2 weeks ago it just stopped. I don't have any errors, it just doesn't run at the scheduled time. I can manually backup with no issues. Any ideas?
By Gork - 29 December 2015 9:40 AM

Delete any schedule in the Scheduled Backups sub-tab then edit the Backup Definition File related to the backup you're referring to.  On the "Edit the Plan for this Backup" page create a new schedule afresh and see if that fixes your problem.  It may be worth checking in Windows Task Scheduler (WTS) to make sure Reflect removes the scheduled task before you create the new one afresh.

If nothing was upgraded (OS, Reflect v5.x to v6.x) and no changes were made to the schedule or XML file in Reflect I'm not sure what could have caused the schedule to stop running like that.  The only time that's ever happened to me is when I changed the Reflect scheduled task directly in WTS and made a change in the "Configure for" option from the default to a newer version of Windows.  (Reflect isn't compatible with newer OS task types in WTS.)
By jewelr - 29 December 2015 3:13 PM

Yes i already tried deleting the whole backup and looked in WTS and they were removed.

W!0 did update but i'm not sure if the update was when the schedules stopped. I did uninstall and reinstall Reflect as well.
By Gork - 30 December 2015 3:05 AM

If it was just a Win10 build upgrade that most certainly wouldn't have caused this kind of a problem.  So did you rebuild the schedule by editing the XML file?  You could ensure the schedule took by checking in the Schedule tab of Reflect and also by making sure the schedule is created again in WTS.
By jewelr - 30 December 2015 3:14 AM

Yes it was just a build update to 11082. No i didn't edit the XML file. I actually didn't do anything with Macrium and was so busy with Christmas that I didn't even notice the backups weren't running until a couple days ago. The last backup was on the 17th or 18th.
I've deleted and re-created the schedules a bunch of times. Each time they are removed from WTS and added again so nothing looks out of the ordinary.
I did notice if I go into task scheduler and configure a task for "windows 10" instead of what is selected "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000", the scheduled task will run. However,the schedule is removed from the scheduled backup tab in Macrium and no log is created. It does still run on the schedule though.
By Gork - 30 December 2015 3:49 AM

Yeah, can't change the default selected option in the WTS task - we KNOW that doesn't work right.  But if changing it makes it so the task in WTS actually runs when it wouldn't before it makes me wonder if there's a problem with WTS itself...  Is your computer running at the time the scheduled task should run?  (Some systems have problems waking up to run a task.)  Does the "last result" in WTS for the Reflect task show "the operation completed successfully" after a scheduled task should have run?  Are there any errors shown in the Windows logs at the time the backup should have started?  (I know you've said that there are at least no errors in the Reflect logs.)  Did you thoroughly check the schedule to ensure dates/times are accurate?  (Though changing the WTS task to Win10 and it working should indicate that's not the problem.)  Is the WTS task being run under an admin account with the proper username and password?  Another thing I might try for testing purposes is to manually create a task in WTS to schedule a Reflect backup:

GENERAL TAB
"When running ... use the following user account:" - make sure an admin account and the proper password is entered.
Choose "run whether user is logged on or not"
Choose "run with the highest privileges"
Configure for - Server 2003, XP or Win 2000

TRIGGERS TAB
For testing, just enter a new trigger for the current day 5 minutes from now and leave the computer running

ACTIONS TAB
Action - Start a program
Program/script - E:\the-location\Of-Your\xml-file.xml (replace the path and file name of course)
Add arguments - mine are "-s -inc" -- It'd probably be best to put in the same thing as in your WTS task created by Reflect

CONDITIONS TAB
Wake the computer to run this task

SETTINGS TAB
Allow task to be run on demand - this is checked by grayed out
Stop the task if it runs longer than - 3 days
If the running task does not end ... force it to stop - grayed out but check marked

Another idea for troubleshooting might be to enable history in WTS for the task that is not running so you can see if it's logging anything during the times it's supposed to run.
By jewelr - 30 December 2015 10:19 PM

Yes, my computer is on 24x7 no sleep.
No, the last result in WTS does not show "the operation completed successfully". It says "the task has not yet run".
I haven't checked the windows logs but i will.
The scheduled dates and times are all correct between WTS and Macrium.
Yes, WTS task is being run under an admin account with the proper username and password.
I will try to manually create a task in WTS to schedule a Reflect backup and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help Gork!
By Gork - 31 December 2015 12:52 AM

You're welcome.  It doesn't feel like we're getting very close to a solution but we sure are ruling out a bunch of things!  If the WTS task indicates "the task has not yet run" it seems to me to point to a problem outside of Macrium - with WTS or the OS then.  I'm very curious to hear how manually creating the task in WTS works.  If it doesn't, I'd probably try just creating some generic task in WTS to see if that runs.  Are other tasks running?   (Showing proper results?)  Probably a silly question, but in the Triggers tab of the task in WTS is the trigger in question set to status=Enabled?
By Nick - 31 December 2015 1:05 AM

Hi @jewelr

Thanks for posting. 

Yes it was just a build update to 11082...

Windows 10 'Redstone'  Build 11082 is an unstable Insider Preview. Insider builds are for beta testing, bug finding, and not for daily use. There appears to be a problem with the Windows Task Scheduler in this build that I'm sure will be resolved by Microsoft before public release. 
By jewelr - 31 December 2015 3:01 AM

Nick - 31 December 2015 1:05 AM
Hi @jewelr

Thanks for posting. 

Yes it was just a build update to 11082...

Windows 10 'Redstone'  Build 11082 is an unstable Insider Preview. Insider builds are for beta testing, bug finding, and not for daily use. There appears to be a problem with the Windows Task Scheduler in this build that I'm sure will be resolved by Microsoft before public release. 

Yes i understand that. I wasn't aware of the Task Scheduler issue. I will roll back this build or wait for the next build.
By Gork - 31 December 2015 9:39 AM

Looks like @Nick did his homework!  Quick way to bring this mystery to a close.  Smile
By jewelr - 31 December 2015 2:52 PM

Yes indeed Gork. Thanks for your time and help in trying to figure it out. I have to say out of all the W10 builds, and i have been running them all since inception, this is the first time i have had an issue with it effecting Macrium.
By rlcronin - 1 January 2016 6:34 PM

Gork - 31 December 2015 9:39 AM
Looks like @Nick did his homework!  Quick way to bring this mystery to a close.  Smile

Not quite closed. I've had the same experience and have found that if you delete the backup task and manually recreate it (using the Create Task button in task scheduler), being careful to set all the various properties of the new task the same as the old one, the new task DOES work. So there's a workaround for you to get your backups going again whilst awaiting the proper fix from Microsoft. I did compare the new (exported) version of the task to the old version and there are definitely some differences, revealing that Microsoft is absolutely making changes in this area. For one, the old task has a task-version property of 1.1, the new has it as 1.2. There are a smattering of other differences as well (e.g. properties in the new version that did not exist in the old). This is affecting not only the Reflect tasks. For instance all my various GoogleUpdater tasks won't run either. So there you have it. Ah the joys of being a beta tester ;-)
By MaxManus - 8 January 2016 12:12 PM

I also discovered during Christmas that the last automatic backup went the 18.12.2015 . Presumably after an update of Windows 10 Pro . or Macrium Reflect 6.1 Home Edition ( 64-bit ) .I also tried to delete it , then countervail Backup plan based on the form Grandfather , Father , Son without success.I find no error messages and commanded by Manuel backup, runs smoothly .

Whistling ??

Bets Regards,
Stein

By rlcronin - 13 January 2016 10:14 PM

Sadly the new Insider fast ring build released today, 11099, does not fix this issue.

By rlcronin - 21 January 2016 8:56 PM

... and yet again, today's build 11102 does not solve this problem.

However, I made a discovery. If I export the non-functional Macrium-generated backup task and edit the prologue from:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.1"

to

<Task version="1.2"

then delete the old task and re-import it from the edited copy, the new instance of the task runs just fine.

So there's a workaround for you.
By jewelr - 22 January 2016 10:15 PM

rlcronin - 21 January 2016 8:56 PM
... and yet again, today's build 11102 does not solve this problem.

However, I made a discovery. If I export the non-functional Macrium-generated backup task and edit the prologue from:

<Task version="1.1"

to

<Task version="1.2"

then delete the old task and re-import it from the edited copy, the new instance of the task runs just fine.

So there's a workaround for you.

The only problem with this workaround is it deletes your backup schedule in Macrium. You can also achieve the same result by just editing the "configure for" and change it to "Windows 10" under the general tab in properties. Something i mentioned in the beginning of this post.
By Gary Kissinger - 24 January 2016 7:45 PM

Win 10 Task scheduler will not run Macrium scheduled jobs for the last 3 releases...
By jewelr - 24 January 2016 7:49 PM

Gary Kissinger - 24 January 2016 7:45 PM
Win 10 Task scheduler will not run Macrium scheduled jobs for the last 3 releases...

Yes, Exactly.
By Nick - 24 January 2016 8:59 PM

@Gary Kissinger,  @jewelr

Thanks for getting back.

Are you Microsoft beta testers for the Windows 10 insider preview releases?  If so, and if you haven't done so already, you should inform MS of your findings as part of your beta testing obligation. Windows 10 Insider preview has broken the Windows Task scheduler 1.0 API and is not a stable release. It is a far reaching problem that also affects Google updater amongst other applications scheduled tasks. It is surprising that they haven't fixed this yet. 

If you are not running the Insider Preview version, what release of Windows are you running and what are the symptoms?  You can find the Windows 10 version by executing 'WinVer.exe'.
By jewelr - 24 January 2016 11:36 PM

Nick - 24 January 2016 8:59 PM
@Gary Kissinger,  @jewelr

Thanks for getting back.

Are you Microsoft beta testers for the Windows 10 insider preview releases?  If so, and if you haven't done so already, you should inform MS of your findings as part of your beta testing obligation. Windows 10 Insider preview has broken the Windows Task scheduler 1.0 API and is not a stable release. It is a far reaching problem that also affects Google updater amongst other applications scheduled tasks. It is surprising that they haven't fixed this yet. 

If you are not running the Insider Preview version, what release of Windows are you running and what are the symptoms?  You can find the Windows 10 version by executing 'WinVer.exe'.

Yes Nick, running the latest Insider Preview. I have reported this already. I am surprised this hasn't been fixed as well.
By ukbadge - 25 February 2016 2:40 PM

I'm grateful that I am not the only one. Have been suffering silently with this problem for some time. Is there a simple workaround or is it just a matter of waiting until MS fixes it?
By jewelr - 25 February 2016 3:11 PM

ukbadge - 25 February 2016 2:40 PM
I'm grateful that I am not the only one. Have been suffering silently with this problem for some time. Is there a simple workaround or is it just a matter of waiting until MS fixes it?

Go into task scheduler and configure a task for "windows 10" instead of what is selected "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000", the scheduled task will run. However,the schedule is removed from the scheduled backup tab in Macrium. It does still run on the schedule though.
By ukbadge - 26 February 2016 9:53 AM

Is that it? Just go into properties for the Macrium entries and change the 'configure for'......blimey.
By jewelr - 26 February 2016 3:07 PM

Yes, that's it. The backup will run on schedule just no signs of it running and it wont log it in Macrium.
By Gork - 27 February 2016 8:38 AM

Careful...  Unless something has changed since this was first brought up there will be problems running a Reflect task under Windows Task Scheduler if you change the "configure task for" option other than "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000".  This has been something which has been discussed before and Reflect isn't designed to work under other "configure task for" options in Windows Task Scheduler.  I don't recall the specifics of exactly what problems were caused offhand, but there have been a handful of posts in the forums on the subject.
By jewelr - 27 February 2016 4:34 PM

Gork - 27 February 2016 8:38 AM
Careful...  Unless something has changed since this was first brought up there will be problems running a Reflect task under Windows Task Scheduler if you change the "configure task for" option other than "Windows server2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000".  This has been something which has been discussed before and Reflect isn't designed to work under other "configure task for" options in Windows Task Scheduler.  I don't recall the specifics of exactly what problems were caused offhand, but there have been a handful of posts in the forums on the subject.

I am speaking from my experience. I have been using this work around since the issue popped up with the preview build. It has worked in every preview build that has been released. I have also restored quite a few test with the backups and have all been successful. I have actually never had a backup program perform as well and reliable as Macrium does.
By ukbadge - 29 February 2016 11:01 AM

Just to confirm its working for me, and I'm grateful. Thanks.
By Gork - 1 March 2016 8:02 AM

All I'm saying is be careful in case unexpected things happen.  This is from version 5 but I've not heard anything about Reflect being changed to accommodate the newer API in Windows Task Scheduler:
http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5140
By jewelr - 1 March 2016 3:54 PM

Gork - 1 March 2016 8:02 AM
All I'm saying is be careful in case unexpected things happen.  This is from version 5 but I've not heard anything about Reflect being changed to accommodate the newer API in Windows Task Scheduler:
http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5140

Yes Gork, that is one of the side effects that I mention in my third post of this thread, "the schedule is removed from the scheduled backup tab in Macrium and no log is created". Just like stated in your reference to version 5.
One always needs to be careful though when it comes to important data. These things are expected when you are on a Beta OS.
By Gork - 2 March 2016 11:02 AM

I noticed that.  But I seem to recall some other issues that occur because of this as well.  I just couldn't find the additional posts I was thinking of.  Or my old brain may have just made them up? heh
By jewelr - 2 March 2016 3:07 PM

Gork, Probably the latter BigGrin
By anachromat - 7 August 2016 2:57 AM

I noticed that my scheduled backups stopped running after "the big" Win 10 upgrade (to version 1607).  I don't believe I have anything substantial to add to this thread, though - really just noting that, whatever the problem really is, it apparently wasn't fixed before the retail Windows upgrade patch was released.  Deleting the current backup schedules and recreating them doesn't help.  Fiddling with the tasks directly in Task Scheduler can be made to work, but then Macrium Reflect loses track of them and doesn't create a log file.  Etc - all these things were reported before.
By jewelr - 7 August 2016 3:16 AM

anachromat - 7 August 2016 2:57 AM
I noticed that my scheduled backups stopped running after "the big" Win 10 upgrade (to version 1607).  I don't believe I have anything substantial to add to this thread, though - really just noting that, whatever the problem really is, it apparently wasn't fixed before the retail Windows upgrade patch was released.  Deleting the current backup schedules and recreating them doesn't help.  Fiddling with the tasks directly in Task Scheduler can be made to work, but then Macrium Reflect loses track of them and doesn't create a log file.  Etc - all these things were reported before.

I actual found a work around the other day. Seems to put Macrium schedules back to the way they are suppose to be (ie: logging the backups, getting the pop ups before the backup starts and functioning as expected). In task scheduler > go to the properties of the scheduled task you want to run and select "Run only when user is logged on". I am running the anniversary update of windows 10.
By anachromat - 7 August 2016 4:20 AM

jewelr - 7 August 2016 3:16 AM

I actual found a work around the other day. Seems to put Macrium schedules back to the way they are suppose to be (ie: logging the backups, getting the pop ups before the backup starts and functioning as expected). In task scheduler > go to the properties of the scheduled task you want to run and select "Run only when user is logged on". I am running the anniversary update of windows 10.

This didn't work for me, but I expect our setups are different:  a user with admin rights is essentially never logged in.  So if I set the task to run under an admin account, "Run only when user is logged in" never triggers.  But if I set the task to run under a non-admin user account, and it's logged in, the task triggers but fails to run.

Before the Windows Anniversary Update, when a backup task triggered a Windows elevation prompt popped up, asking for an admin acct/password.  That may be unbearable for most people Wink , but was fine for me.

LATER:  this seems to be working for me:  I left "Run whether user is logged on or not" alone, but changed (in Task Scheduler) the user account to an admin account (and gave Task Scheduler its password).  The jobs seem to run fine now, they still show up in the Reflect UI, and their history is in the Reflect log section.  I no longer get an elevation prompt, and, indeed, no longer get notifications of any kind - I can only tell the job is running by looking at the target directory in the backup destination disk, or by refreshing the Task Scheduler UI, or looking for the job in Task Manager.  Alas, if I edit a task _within_ Reflect, it appears to get reset to run under the non-admin account Reflect was launched under.

I can live with all that Satisfied
By Arvy - 7 August 2016 6:27 AM

In fact, anachromat, I think you have provided more confirmation for what has been said about the problem in the other thread on this topic.  The Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" appears to have caused the Windows Task Scheduler 1.0 API to mishandle credentials that are required for scheduled tasks to run with elevated privileges.  Since Reflect uses that WTS 1.0 API to manage scheduling of its backup tasks, they fail to run as created and it seems you may have found another workaround for the problem.

Could you specify very precisely the exact steps that you took in the Task Scheduler, please.  When I tried doing the same as what I think you did I still got an error (0x800702E4 = Elevation required) under the Task Scheduler's Last Run Result column.
By BjornB - 7 August 2016 5:15 PM

For some years now I have loved mye Reflect dearly, it has been running almost without any issues on 12 computers, all automated backups. Then all of a sudden, when I was blessed with the Anniversary Update winver 1607, I was thrown out of Paradise. I have been reading all related posts in this forum since then, and apart from some very specific details by the specialists, I can make use of some information given by helpful people. I will know for sure when next weeks schedules start to run - whether I can see them or not or they will run at all remains to be seen.

This is my plea;
I really find it a bit unsatisfactory, to say the least, that Macrium has not bothered to provide their customers the infos badly needed. Not yet. It seems they leave it to each and every customer to struggle with this issue all by themselves. I very much rely on Reflect, I guess many more do the same, so please - help us out here!
By Arvy - 7 August 2016 6:57 PM

Completely agree, Bjorn.  The silence is unhelpful to say the least and quite unlike Macrium's very forthright and open behavior with various issues encountered in the past.  I'm sure they are working "behind the scenes", but in some ways (apart from Stephen's brief acknowledgement and this one in the other thread) the apparent lack of subsequent responsiveness here in this case is more disturbing than the task scheduling problem itself.  On the other hand, I don't actually use scheduling much myself, so maybe that's just my own reaction.
By anachromat - 7 August 2016 7:43 PM

Arvy - 7 August 2016 6:27 AM
Could you specify very precisely the exact steps that you took in the Task Scheduler, please.  When I tried doing the same as what I think you did I still got an error (0x800702E4 = Elevation required) under the Task Scheduler's Last Run Result column.

Sure.  There are only two accounts on this box, let's say "admin" (an admin account) and "me" (a non-admin account).  "admin" is almost never logged in; "me" is almost always logged in.

I created the tasks from within Reflect, while logged in as "me", but with elevated privileges.  "admin" was not logged in during any of this.  Closed Reflect.  Still logged in as "me", opened Task Scheduler but via "Run as administrator".  In each backup task, "When running the task, use the following user account:" was set to "me".  I clicked "Change User or Group ..." and typed in "admin".  Closed that dialog, and then when closing the Properties window too the program asked for "admin"'s password.  Which, of course, I gave it.  "Run whether user is logged in or not" was the initial selected state, and I didn't change that.

That's all.  I didn't change anything else.
By Arvy - 7 August 2016 8:05 PM

Thanks for that.  I thought I had done just exactly what you so kindly described in detail, but couldn't get it to work.  It kept giving me those 0x800702E4 Elevation Required errors.  I'll keep testing and trying.  It would be an ideal workaround for the current problem, both leaving the MR listing intact and allowing the scheduled task to run unattended, unlike the other two workaround suggestions.  There's little doubt that the underlying Task Scheduler 1.0 API issue is somehow related to its credentials handling.
By anachromat - 7 August 2016 10:33 PM

Arvy, just to be sure, I created a brand new backup task, a "Daily" one to do a full backup of a single small folder, set to run a few minutes in the future.  As before, the admin account was inactive, and this was done from an elevated Reflect in a non-admin user account.

When the time came, the job triggered, but failed at once with a "The requested operation requires elevation." error.

So back to Reflect, where I added 10 minutes to the start time.  Then back to Task Scheduler, where I changed only the account the task should run under (to an admin account), and supplied that account's password.

When the new time came, the job ran and completed successfully.

Of course there may be relevant differences between our setups we haven't guessed at.  But I think this new experiment drilled down to about the simplest thing possible to do with a scheduled backup.

I doubt it matters, but the destination for all my backups is an external USB hard drive; but I can't imagine how that could affect Windows screwing up permissions to start the job to begin with.
By Nick - 7 August 2016 10:35 PM

Sincere, apologies for the lack of information from us on the issues with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. We've literally been working around the clock to provide a solution and we're almost there. 

Please see this KB article for more details on the problems and workarounds:  http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Windows+10+Aniversary+Update+issues
By Arvy - 7 August 2016 11:01 PM

Thanks, Nick.  I'm sure everyone is working very hard.  Sorry for any unhelpful remarks or any that may have seemed unappreciative of that fact.

@anachromat -- Everything you say makes perfect sense to me.  As I said above, it would be a better interim solution than either of the others if it can be replicated.  I will keep on trying to make it work on my current W10 AU setup.  According to that KB article and Nick's follow-up, however, the Macrium gang may beat us both to an even better solution.