Macrium Support Forum

Do you want v6 Linux ISO rescue option?

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic517.aspx

By Arvy - 10 March 2015 10:29 PM

As discussed initially in another forum thread, Macrium has not included a Linux ISO rescue option in the Reflect v6 release.  The explanation offered is stated as "[t]he cost of maintaining this rescue media is too great for the amount of customers that actually use it."  Macrium is, however, "monitoring reaction" and may re-introduce it if there is "sufficient demand."  So a poll here seemed (to me) like a good place to get some early v6 user feedback.  Do you want the Linux ISO rescue option to be re-introduced in Reflect v6.
By Seekforever - 12 March 2015 1:48 PM

How are the "Didn't notice it was missing" votes being considered - if anybody officially considers them? I voted in that category because I hadn't noticed it wasn't there but really my vote is either No or Don't care. I assume Don't Cares would be seen as a No.

Something I find strange is that there are votes from members and even more from guests. I thought you had to register as a member to have write access to this forum or am I misunderstanding the terms?
By Arvy - 12 March 2015 2:49 PM

The answer to both questions is the same: It's entirely up to Macrium.

Macrium configures access to their own forums (including polls) and it would seem equally apparent that Macrium will decide what constitutes "sufficient demand".  Assuming they take any account of the results here at all, I rather doubt that they'll include those who didn't notice the feature was missing as demands for reinstatement.
By Merlin - 12 March 2015 5:49 PM

Arvy, interesting poll.
Seekforever, I also thought you needed to be a registered member to even get into the forum.
I also agree (with what is being implied?), that it might be more helpful to Macrium if it were more black and white. Either the linux version is helpful, or it isn't. Those that voted that they didn't know it was missing or couldn't care either way aren't using it.
By Mark Phelps - 12 March 2015 6:09 PM

I voted FOR the Linux rescue option primarily because that's what was offered in V5 with the Free edition.  In order to get the WinPE rescue option, you had to purchase the product.

That said ... product features are different with V6.  There currently (AFAIK) is no FREE version, and the distinction between the Standard and Pro versions has been abolished.

While I realized that offering a FREE version is basically a losing business model, nonetheless, it did provide folks a chance to try out MR, and in MY case, that lead to my buying it.  The availability of a rescue CD/USB option in the FREE version will make the product more attractive to new folks trying it out, to decide whether or not to buy it.
By Merlin - 12 March 2015 6:13 PM

Mark, It was my understanding from a post somewhere here in the forum, is that there is a Free V6 coming at some point.
By Froggie - 12 March 2015 6:40 PM

Mark Phelps (3/12/2015)
I voted FOR the Linux rescue option primarily because that's what was offered in V5 with the Free edition.  In order to get the WinPE rescue option, you had to purchase the product.

That said ... product features are different with V6.  There currently (AFAIK) is no FREE version, and the distinction between the Standard and Pro versions has been abolished.

While I realized that offering a FREE version is basically a losing business model, nonetheless, it did provide folks a chance to try out MR, and in MY case, that lead to my buying it.  The availability of a rescue CD/USB option in the FREE version will make the product more attractive to new folks trying it out, to decide whether or not to buy it.

Mark, all of the features you mention are available in the v6 TRIAL, and as of the current version, even the LOCAL BOOT (BOOTmgr) option is now available (if I read the Release Notes correctly).
By Nick - 12 March 2015 6:49 PM

Hi All

The v5 Free Edition of Macrium Reflect has had Windows PE rescue media for about 3 years. This will not be removed when the v6 Free Edition is available.
By Arvy - 12 March 2015 7:04 PM

Thanks, Nick.  That should avoid at least some concerns.

Merlin (3/12/2015)
Arvy, interesting poll. [...]  Either the linux version is helpful, or it isn't. Those that voted that they didn't know it was missing or couldn't care either way aren't using it.

Well, you can blame me for any ambiguity, but I'd say that puts them pretty clearly outside the reinstatement demand category, but not necessarily opposed either if others want it. I guess I was thinking that people might want a little wider range of expression than just for or against.

As for helpfulness to Macrium, they should be grateful for this opportunity to practice their decision making skills.  I'm sure they've managed in the past to sort out more difficult issues than this one where viewpoints weren't all simply black versus white and will "muddle through" again.  Wink
By Drac144 - 12 March 2015 10:18 PM

I voted "I didn't notice" because that was in the list of choices and it was the truth.  If the only choices were yes or no (no meaning I don't use it) I would have voted no.  For me, my response indicates I don't use it so don't care if it is there. I am NOT voting to eliminate the feature, that is up to Macrium.  I do not want to say, to people that do have use for a Linux rescue disk, "you cannot have one".

If Macrium wants to know how many users think it is important to have the Linux disk, they may want to ask WHY the WINPE disk is not a good option.  I understand that at least one reason is how slow WINPE can be to start up.  This may be fixable.
By Seekforever - 12 March 2015 10:32 PM

Drac144 (3/12/2015)
If Macrium wants to know how many users think it is important to have the Linux disk, they may want to ask WHY the WINPE disk is not a good option.  I understand that at least one reason is how slow WINPE can be to start up.  This may be fixable.

That is indeed the question to ask. 

When I used another product who only provided WinPE at additional cost at the time the fix with persistent recovery media problems was to get the WinPE version. For the most part it had to do with WinPE having a superior selection of drivers and the ability to inject them if required.  I used to say on their forum they would save a ton of money with support issues if they just provided WinPE in the first place.
By Ken Green - 19 May 2015 5:51 PM

I vote FOR getting Linux for the Rescue Disk back again, for a few reasons.  1) It can be used on just about any machine, even those with not much memory, 2) It can be used for just about any version of Windows, from XP to Vista to Win 7 to 8/8.1 and even to restore Win 10 files, 3) It seems to boot faster, at least on my computers (one older Dell tower, one 'self-built' with an MSI MB and a quad core AMD processor).
By Harrison Scofield - 30 July 2016 4:52 PM

Paramount Software may want to consider the following:  I purchased a 4-Pack License for V5 and V6.  However, I will only be purchasing a single License with V7 because I will only be keeping ONE Windows system and have already converted all of my other systems to Linux.  If MR were to officially support Linux and would at least offer a .ISO that did NOT use WinPE but was GRUB2 bootable, I would continue purchasing a 4-Pack License.  The only function that I use that requires VSS is "Browse Image" and I have no problem performing that on my Windows system. Finally, I am certain that Paramount Software is aware that Windows is a "declining market".  So, perhaps, consideration should be given to expanding the market to include UNIX/Linux.  I have to believe that it would not be that difficult because MR can be used to Backup/Restore UNIX/Linux file systems under WinPE.
By Arvy - 30 July 2016 6:39 PM

As someone else who is currently exploring Linux options and seriously considering a major switchover, I'll second Harrison's suggestion.  Seems to me that what Macrium found to be uneconomic about Linux support in the past may have much greater profit potential in the very near future, especially as Reflect application development proceeds to take on larger scale system management functions.
By nipstech - 19 June 2017 5:26 PM

I have had problems using the Linux rescue disk on windows systems with it not allowing me the selection options given with the WinPE version. Granted, it takes longer to load but IMHO it's more useful for my purposes.
By Arvy - 19 June 2017 5:58 PM

Hi nipstech.  I started this poll over two years ago when Reflect v6 was the most recent release.  So it has probably faded from anyone's active consideration by now.  But, just out of curiosity, what additional options would you want to see in a Linux-based rescue disk?   Or in a Reflect edition made specifically for running under Linux for that matter?  Obviously, the Fix Windows Boot Problems utility would need some rethinking. Smile
By nipstech - 19 June 2017 6:22 PM

To be truthful, the only Linux installation I have is pfSense; an open source firewall running on an old PC. I keep backups of the configuration (an XML file) and if it crashes for whatever reason and I can't recover it all I do is boot from its live CD and reinstall it. The whole process takes less than 15 minutes so I don't really need to back it up. Even if I wanted to the dist. is sanitized and stripped down I don't even know if installation of any other software is recommended due to the possibility of increasing the attack surface.
By Arvy - 19 June 2017 6:35 PM

Fair enough.  I was just curious.  Guess that would put you in the "don't care" column so far as this poll itself is concerned.  The further I actually move toward Linux day-to-day usage, the closer I get to that same attitude about adapting Reflect for the job.  There are lots of other "native" backup and recovery options and, as your comment suggests, many of them are simpler and quicker for their specific purposes.