Macrium Support Forum

Macrium Reflect 8 Beta Tester

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic42155.aspx

By Dypsis - 22 December 2020 6:13 AM

As a very long time user of Macrium Reflect, I would be interested in beta testing version 8 if it is going to be offered.

I have noticed in this recently posted Macrium Reflect v8.0 Beta document that there is a link for a personal invitation.
The link leads to a Macrium Reflect Beta v8.0 Download page.

May Macrium Reflect remain strong and a market leader in 2021.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

All the best...
By jphughan - 22 December 2020 7:55 AM

WOW! That enhancements list includes a lot of items in the “Aggregated quick win feature requests” thread that I created in this Wish List section to keep track of several ideas that have popped up throughout the forum from various users, some of which have been suggested multiple times. This release should make several users quite happy. Looking forward to it! Smile

The enhancement about including the date in the file name is interesting, but that’s only the date of the root Full. It would be nice if each backup had its own date in its file name, since in some backup strategies the backup date doesn’t match either the creation date or the modification date. Based on my testing, Reflect already doesn't seem to rely on file names at all to figure out how backups are related to each other. I changed files that were part of the same set to names that were completely different from each other and Reflect still worked with them all properly, so this type of per-backup date naming would seem feasible from that perspective. I also wonder how the “root Full date” mechanism will work in Synthetic Full scenarios where the backup date of the Full keeps moving forward. Will all of the files in the set be renamed every time that happens?
By Froggie - 22 December 2020 12:58 PM

Well, for me the list of "enhancements" isn't as impressive as it may be to others.  I'm still waiting for the "Coming Soon" item of v7 (February 2017) called "Continuous Incrementals."  Based on the enhancement list mentioned above, I can safely say it will, most likely, never arrive in this product.

The other very useful feature, now mentioned in "Coming Soon" for v8 is the ability to image FLASH Media, specifically UFDs.  I surely hope this doesn't go the way of v7's "Coming Soon" features... Smile
By jphughan - 22 December 2020 3:12 PM

Froggie, the section that mentions UFDs also includes “Hourly Backups”. Or is that not close enough to continuous for your purposes?
By Froggie - 22 December 2020 3:21 PM

I stand corrected... "Hourly Backups" are sure a step forward from before (I need a slightly finer resolution, personally).  We'll have to wait and see on the implementation... but I guess it's a start.

Thanks, JP!
By pokeefe - 22 December 2020 5:58 PM

How does one request to be part of the beta test?  I assume I've too new to MR, and use too few of its advanced functions to qualify for selection, but I'd still like to give it a try.
By jphughan - 22 December 2020 6:25 PM

Haven’t seen a formal request form, and the KB article mentions an invitation. But Macrium developers are active on these forums, so I suppose this thread is as good a way as any to communicate interest if Macrium wants some additional testers.
By Froggie - 22 December 2020 6:45 PM

v6's BETA got into the wild and Macrium wound up having tons of testers Smile , v7's BETA they did on their own (v6 testers offered their help, Macrium declined).  It looks like v8 may have some invitations (v8's CBT BETA is already active with invitations, I believe).
By jphughan - 22 December 2020 6:49 PM

Not aware of a V8 CBT beta myself, and I don’t see any mention of CBT changes on the V8 KB page except for CBT support ReFS. But I’m also not a CBT user, and even if I were, I don’t use ReFS, so that may be why I haven’t heard about it. I tested the V8 version of viBoot that supports VirtualBox though.
By Froggie - 22 December 2020 6:58 PM

Sorry, my bad... that's viBOOT beta.  No CBT that I'm aware of other than new FileSystem support.
By GTK48 - 22 December 2020 7:17 PM

How does one get an invite or a password?
By alQamar - 22 December 2020 7:25 PM

If you need testers, please consider me on your list. Thank you 👍🏾
By alQamar - 22 December 2020 7:32 PM

@jphughan I guess that based on technology merging backups (synthetic full) should be able to be done in glimpse compared to NTFS. Similar to Citrix PVS, FSLogix and Hyper-V.
I am a very passionated user of ReFS. But be warned there is a critical bug in 1903/1909/2004/20H2 so avoid to use it in a mirrored storage süace.
A MS support ticket is open for months now, requesting a backport. Covid doesn't help to escalate it.
 I have helped to solve this issue for Insider dev though, and also to maintain the Microsoft Docs for ReFS, the role of ReFS in CSV etc. 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/refs/refs-overview

By UweBast - 24 December 2020 10:26 AM

Does anyone know when the upcoming version 8 will be released?
By Froggie - 24 December 2020 12:56 PM

On Dec. 19th, Macrium posted the following note on TWITTER..

Macrium Software - Dec 19
Buy now with 20% off, upgrade for free later! Reflect 8 coming early 2021 https://macrium.com/holidays

This usually means that v8 will arrive within 90-days from this announcement... and Macrium seems to like the month of February (v6 & v7) for some reason Smile
By GTK48 - 24 December 2020 6:25 PM

Froggie - 24 December 2020 12:56 PM

Buy now with 20% off, upgrade for free later! Reflect 8 coming early 2021 https://macrium.com/holidays

This usually means that v8 will arrive within 90-days from this announcement... and Macrium seems to like the month of February (v6 & v7) for some reason Smile

My v7 license is up in April but I may purchase v8 earlier due to the dark screen.
By Froggie - 24 December 2020 6:28 PM

Your license isn't up, just the direct support aspect of your license... the license remains valid for v7 forever.
By dbminter - 24 December 2020 6:47 PM

And, often times, Macrium will still support if you bring up an issue in the forums, even after your direct support ends.
By pokeefe - 24 December 2020 6:59 PM

Froggie - 24 December 2020 12:56 PM

It's odd that there is no mention of this on Macrium's web site - no indication that a "/holidays" page even exists.  You have to go to the bottom of the main page and look at the "Latest Tweets" list - something I would never have done if you hadn't mentioned the tweet.  

The holiday special is for purchasing MR 7 and getting a free upgrade to MR 8.  There's no mention of existing MR 7 customers.  Is this a special deal just for new customers?   Going through the customer login page just took me to the general https://www.macrium.com/ page so it looks like there's nothing specifically for an existing customer.
By dbminter - 24 December 2020 7:55 PM

When the V8 is released, there will, most likely, be some kind of upgrade offer for it from V7 customers.  I've been using Reflect since V4.x.  For every version afterwards, I've been able to purchase an existing upgrade license at a reduced price.
By Froggie - 24 December 2020 9:35 PM

During the last couple of major releases, if the next version made it out during February, usually (although not guaranteed) if a NEW license was purchased in the last few months (most of the talk was concerning BLACK FRIDAY around Thanksgiving and beyond), the major upgrade being offered was made available to those users for FREE (like this Christmas purchase offer above).  If your license was older than that defined period, they usually offered an upgrade for those with the previous version for 50% OFF.

None of the above is guaranteed, though... just a trend that's been noticed in the past.
By Danskeman - 1 January 2021 3:20 PM

jphughan - 22 December 2020 7:55 AM
WOW! That enhancements list includes a lot of items in the “Aggregated quick win feature requests” thread that I created in this Wish List section to keep track of several ideas that have popped up throughout the forum from various users, some of which have been suggested multiple times. This release should make several users quite happy. Looking forward to it! Smile

The enhancement about including the date in the file name is interesting, but that’s only the date of the root Full. It would be nice if each backup had its own date in its file name, since in some backup strategies the backup date doesn’t match either the creation date or the modification date. Based on my testing, Reflect already doesn't seem to rely on file names at all to figure out how backups are related to each other. I changed files that were part of the same set to names that were completely different from each other and Reflect still worked with them all properly, so this type of per-backup date naming would seem feasible from that perspective. I also wonder how the “root Full date” mechanism will work in Synthetic Full scenarios where the backup date of the Full keeps moving forward. Will all of the files in the set be renamed every time that happens?

I see they have improved the partition arrangements when restoring to a larger drive.  When windows changed the default partition layout so winRE partition is after the C drive, the automatic sizing of the C partition (used to be last) no longer worked, and you either had to do it manually or use a 3rd party partition tool.  It is now clever enough to detect if last partition is aC is the system partition and move it to end, and expand the last expandable partition.

Only minor issue as far as I can tell if you had say a C partition followed by D partition, you can expand D only or BOTH C&D in proportion,  You do not seem to have option to expand C drive but leave D same size.  It would be nice if you could SELECT the partition to be expanded.

Still, this looks like a good improvement which has been discussed by us in wishlist.
By jphughan - 1 January 2021 4:23 PM

Judging by the screenshots and the “Using Layout for precise positioning” section of the KB, you can still adjust partition sizes manually. The DEFAULT is proportional resizing, but that doesn’t mean you’re stuck with that.
By alQamar - 2 January 2021 3:31 PM

happy new year everyone!

@Danskeman can you explain what screenshots you are referring to? Has anyone of you got access to the beta?
By jphughan - 2 January 2021 3:39 PM

I’m the one who mentioned screenshots, and I’m referring to the ones here, especially the one in the last section (and the text accompanying that section): https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=47024637#content/view/47024637
By alQamar - 2 January 2021 3:56 PM

Thank you @jphughan
By Danskeman - 3 January 2021 9:21 AM

jphughan - 1 January 2021 4:23 PM
Judging by the screenshots and the “Using Layout for precise positioning” section of the KB, you can still adjust partition sizes manually. The DEFAULT is proportional resizing, but that doesn’t mean you’re stuck with that.

Sure thing but an option to automatically expand or shrink a selected partition rather than last one or all (contiguous?) would be nice.  However, the new options are enough to make me definitely upgrade one of my five licences. 

I doubt I will pay to upgrade the other four (I really only use two of them now and then anyway).  I will probably just wait until next year for Black Friday and hope the now "traditional" 50% offer  is repeated and buy 4 V8 licences then, and I will then give away my 4 V7 licences as presents.
By Gork - 7 January 2021 2:58 PM

jphughan - 22 December 2020 3:12 PM
Froggie, the section that mentions UFDs also includes “Hourly Backups”. Or is that not close enough to continuous for your purposes?

Which section mentions UFDs?
By jphughan - 7 January 2021 3:02 PM

Gork - 7 January 2021 2:58 PM
jphughan - 22 December 2020 3:12 PM

Which section mentions UFDs?

The main page lists it in the Coming Soon section.
By Gork - 8 January 2021 10:51 AM

@jphughan
Oh, I finally figured out where you're referring to.  Thanks - the bottom of the page.  I completely skipped over that part of the page because its typeface and layout is in such a way it appeared to me to be a regular "footer" that one often sees on the bottom of web pages.  "About us" or that type of a thing.  I must've read every word above that area 10 times and clicked on each link in the list on the page and read every one of those pages looking for the reference!  Ugh.
By Dypsis - 12 January 2021 9:27 PM

I am starting to think that there are not going to be any external Beta testers for version 8, unless some of you have already received a download password.
By dbminter - 12 January 2021 10:39 PM

It could be the beta period is actually closed.  It has been over a month since the last update.  If it extends to a 2nd or 3rd month, that's generally a sign that Reflect is due to for a major bump up.  Either a full integer up or a 10th version number up.  So, Macrium may not be accepting new beta testers because they're close to releasing the gold version of Reflect 8.

Again, I don't want to second guess what Macrium is doing, though.  Just pointing out the past trends.
By Dypsis - 14 January 2021 7:53 AM

dbminter - 12 January 2021 10:39 PM
It could be the beta period is actually closed.  It has been over a month since the last update.  If it extends to a 2nd or 3rd month, that's generally a sign that Reflect is due to for a major bump up.  Either a full integer up or a 10th version number up.  So, Macrium may not be accepting new beta testers because they're close to releasing the gold version of Reflect 8.

Again, I don't want to second guess what Macrium is doing, though.  Just pointing out the past trends.

I think you are correct, DB.
Time will tell.
By Dypsis - 19 January 2021 9:26 PM

Dark Mode looks nice. w00t

Thanks Nick. Smile

Reflect 8 is on its way...