Macrium Support Forum

MRCBT Errors after updating to version 7.3

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic40685.aspx

By ReneM - 17 October 2020 3:28 PM

After I updated Macrium Reflect from version 7.2 to 7.3, I now get several MRCBT errors in the log file every time the scheduled daily image backup is performed.
Even after installing today of the new update 5289 I get these errors when backup is running.

These are not warnings, but errors - so of course I'm worried.

Thanks in advance for any help in resolving the issues.
By JamieW - 17 October 2020 8:32 PM

ReneM - 17 October 2020 3:28 PM
After I updated Macrium Reflect from version 7.2 to 7.3, I now get several MRCBT errors in the log file every time the scheduled daily image backup is performed.
Even after installing today of the new update 5289 I get these errors when backup is running.

These are not warnings, but errors - so of course I'm worried.

Thanks in advance for any help in resolving the issues.

Hi @ReneM,

As per the description of the event, this error indicates that Reflect failed to query the tracking information from one of the devices.

While technically it is an error, it is not an unrecoverable error and should probably be changed to a Warning or Informational event. I will raise a developer ticket for this to be looked at.

Failure to query the tracking information will not result in data loss, so there is no need to worry unless Reflect reports a problem.

If you would like to open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this ticket), I will be happy to review any logs and provide a more comprehensive analysis.
By uwe-dembski - 19 October 2020 4:04 PM

Here too, since updating to the newest version those three errors are shown in windows event viewer. 

By JamieW - 20 October 2020 9:32 PM

Uwe Dembski - 19 October 2020 4:04 PM
Here too, since updating to the newest version those three errors are shown in windows event viewer. 

Hi Uwe,

Please can you also open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this post)?
By uwe-dembski - 21 October 2020 5:19 AM

JamieW - 20 October 2020 9:32 PM
Uwe Dembski - 19 October 2020 4:04 PM

Hi Uwe,

Please can you also open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this post)?

I would like to do so, but Macrium won´t let me.
I received the invitation link. Trying to register und entering the password, I always get "an error ocurred, please try again later"...
By Stephen - 21 October 2020 8:06 AM

Hello Uwe,

I have sent you a private message with further instructions.
By uwe-dembski - 23 October 2020 8:09 PM

Support has sent me a solution via email. Thank you! It is the mrcbt-driver that is used in the next version. The errors are gone.
But now there is another problem. Since using ths new driver my GData-Firewall is not working properly any longer. 
Is it possible that this driver is not compatible to the GData-Firewall? I don´t know how to test this, but when i open the Gdata Firewall und go to the register "networks" the screen is flickering.

("Please find below a link to a new Macrium Reflect Changed Block Tracker driver (MRCBT) that changes event ID 13 – “IOCTL_MRCBT_QUERY_VOLUME_TRACKING_INFORMATION failed on device \Device\HarddiskVolume2 with status %1” from an Error event into a Warning event.
This event is generated when Reflect attempts to query the tracking information from the MRCBT device driver, but the tracking information is unavailable at that time. While technically an error, it is generated solely for the purposes of aiding our support staff in diagnosing related issues and can be safely be ignored unless accompanied by other MRCBT error Events.
Due to the limited impact of this change and the frequency of recent updates, we are not releasing a full Reflect update immediately, however this driver will be included in the next update.
Please download the relevant driver from the link below, replace the existing file in your C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder and restart Windows to apply the update.
Please can you confirm that this resolves the issue for you?")

By uwe-dembski - 24 October 2020 4:03 AM

Problem solved. 
Macrium has nothing to do with the error in GData. It was the last programm-update from GData that was destroying its own firewall.
By ReneM - 24 October 2020 3:35 PM

I'm sorry that the log file on my flawless supercomputer gets loaded with MRCBT ID 13, ID 2006, ID 2007 and ID 2008 error messages in large quantities in Event Viewer.

At the same time, I'm also insecure about the daily Schedule System Images that are created.
I'm certainly not happy with them and maybe they will not work properly at all if one day I need one of them.

Since I updated from the stable Reflect 6 to Reflect 7, there have been a huge number of bug fixes for the program.
For my part, I do not have the necessary time to create new tickets over and over again.

To move on I want to hear if it is possible to bring Reflect back to version 7.2.5107 so that the last 3 bug fixes from October 14th, 15th and 16th are removed.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
René
By ReneM - 4 November 2020 4:41 PM

Have just downloaded and installed version 7.3.5321, but still get several MRCBT 13 errors in Event Viewer in connection with System Image creation.

Will it always be like that or will it be corrected?

Can I confidently trust that the created system image works if one day I need it?
By Nick - 4 November 2020 4:52 PM

ReneM - 4 November 2020 4:41 PM
Have just downloaded and installed version 7.3.5321, but still get several MRCBT 13 errors in Event Viewer in connection with System Image creation.

Can I confidently trust that the created system image works if one day I need it?

Thanks for posting. Please see the initial reply to you from @JamieW

Hi @ReneM,

As per the description of the event, this error indicates that Reflect failed to query the tracking information from one of the devices.

While technically it is an error, it is not an unrecoverable error and should probably be changed to a Warning or Informational event. I will raise a developer ticket for this to be looked at.

Failure to query the tracking information will not result in data loss, so there is no need to worry unless Reflect reports a problem.
By capair45 - 4 November 2020 5:02 PM

ReneM - 4 November 2020 4:41 PM

If it would give you peace of mind, CBT can be uninstalled.    MR can function just fine without it.

It delivers a benefit for people who create frequent incrementals and/or who are backing up volumes with a high average file size by speeding up incremental and differential images..  If your needs don't fall into those categories, you might consider uninstalling it. 

By ReneM - 4 November 2020 5:47 PM

I have disabled CBT but still get the bugs in Event Viewer.

Unfortunately have not figured out how to uninstall CBT without removing the entire program  and reinstall.

I would like to, however, but without having to start over with a new installation.
By capair45 - 4 November 2020 5:58 PM

ReneM - 4 November 2020 5:47 PM

Unfortunately have not figured out how to uninstall CBT without removing the entire program  and reinstall.

I would like to, however, but without having to start over with a new installation.

You would modify the installation (I only do full images so I always uninstall CBT). 

Go to Programs and features (or Apps) > Locate Macrium Reflect and select it  > Select Modify > Select Yes >   When the Wizard appears select Next > Modify > Uncheck Install CBT > Click Nest > Uninstall.

The CBT feature only will be uninstalled.  All other features will remain untouched including settings and data.  Reboot the computer.

NOTE:  If you use Programs and Features, you would right-click on Macrium and choose Change.  The rest remains the same.
By ReneM - 5 November 2020 12:42 PM

capair45 - 4 November 2020 5:58 PM

You would modify the installation (I only do full images so I always uninstall CBT). 

Go to Programs and features (or Apps) > Locate Macrium Reflect and select it  > Select Modify > Select Yes >   When the Wizard appears select Next > Modify > Uncheck Install CBT > Click Nest > Uninstall.

The CBT feature only will be uninstalled.  All other features will remain untouched including settings and data.  Reboot the computer.

NOTE:  If you use Programs and Features, you would right-click on Macrium and choose Change.  The rest remains the same.

Hello Capair45
Have tried several times but did not get the option to uninstall CBT.

You gave me the solution - I had to right click to get the opportunity.

Now it has succeeded and then I'm just waiting to see what happens at the next scheduled System Image at 17:00 (5pm).

Thank you so much for the help - it was just what I needed.

I highly appreciate your help :-)
By capair45 - 5 November 2020 12:54 PM

ReneM - 5 November 2020 12:42 PM
capair45 - 4 November 2020 5:58 PM

Hello Capair45
Have tried several times but did not get the option to uninstall CBT.

You gave me the solution - I had to right click to get the opportunity.

Now it has succeeded and then I'm just waiting to see what happens at the next scheduled System Image at 17:00 (5pm).

Thank you so much for the help - it was just what I needed.

I highly appreciate your help :-)

You're welcome!  I hope that works for you.