Macrium Support Forum

When to create new rescue flash drive/disks?

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic40493.aspx

By dg9879 - 15 October 2020 7:08 AM

Please help with my query.

I'm about to upgrade to the new/latest Macrium Reflect Home Edition. I viewed the release notes and there was no mention of a need to create new rescue media, but some previous updates have red text explaining this must be done.  Does this mean I can assume that I don't have to create new rescue media after I update? And does it mean that in future, unless I see red text saying that I need to update the rescue media, that I definitely don't have to?

I plan to use Windows 10 standard uninstaller and then reinstall, because updating from within the program has caused problems in the past, both with this product and other disk imaging software I have tried. If I use this method will my current backup schedule be maintained or do I have to re-create it?
By jphughan - 15 October 2020 12:07 PM

Macrium has been quite good about calling out fixes/enhancements that pertain to Rescue in red text. I remember one occasion where that text was the standard black, but that was a while ago. So yes, for the most part you can hold off on updating Rescue Media if you don’t see red text. And even if you do, not every fix/enhancement will be important to everybody.

But what version is your current Rescue Media using? If you’re on V6 or even V7.1 or something, then I would definitely update Rescue Media afterward, because some updates between your current release and the latest release would have included changes that pertain to Rescue. And of course actually TEST your new Rescue Media after you create it, since there have been cases of Reflect updates introducing problems. One mitigation to that would be to create a Rescue Media ISO file from your CURRENT version before you update, so that even if the new version has a problem, you’ll be able to use the ISO to generate Rescue Media from that earlier working version.

In terms of your update methodology, I’ve been using Reflect (including betas) on several systems for years now and haven’t had issues with regular patching. Even though issues have definitely been reported, I wouldn’t consider them frequent enough to warrant your proposed methodology as a standard operating procedure as opposed to a fallback if you ever DO encounter issues. But if you want to avoid patching, you can at least shorten your process somewhat by simply downloading the full installer using the download agent and then running that, without uninstalling first. But if you are adamant about uninstalling, then you get to choose whether Reflect deletes settings, tasks, logs, etc. The default is to preserve those items.
By dg9879 - 15 October 2020 8:11 PM

jphughan - 15 October 2020 12:07 PM
Macrium has been quite good about calling out fixes/enhancements that pertain to Rescue in red text. I remember one occasion where that text was the standard black, but that was a while ago. So yes, for the most part you can hold off on updating Rescue Media if you don’t see red text. And even if you do, not every fix/enhancement will be important to everybody.

But what version is your current Rescue Media using? If you’re on V6 or even V7.1 or something, then I would definitely update Rescue Media afterward, because some updates between your current release and the latest release would have included changes that pertain to Rescue. And of course actually TEST your new Rescue Media after you create it, since there have been cases of Reflect updates introducing problems. One mitigation to that would be to create a Rescue Media ISO file from your CURRENT version before you update, so that even if the new version has a problem, you’ll be able to use the ISO to generate Rescue Media from that earlier working version.

In terms of your update methodology, I’ve been using Reflect (including betas) on several systems for years now and haven’t had issues with regular patching. Even though issues have definitely been reported, I wouldn’t consider them frequent enough to warrant your proposed methodology as a standard operating procedure as opposed to a fallback if you ever DO encounter issues. But if you want to avoid patching, you can at least shorten your process somewhat by simply downloading the full installer using the download agent and then running that, without uninstalling first. But if you are adamant about uninstalling, then you get to choose whether Reflect deletes settings, tasks, logs, etc. The default is to preserve those items.

Thanks for your answer. I am using the most recent version prior to the update.
By dbminter - 16 October 2020 1:22 AM

I like updating my Rescue media with each new release because you never know what Rescue changes might have been made that got missed for flagging as red text in the change log.  I believe it has happened once before, at least, where a change to the Rescue media was implemented, but it was forgotten to recommend in the change log to update Rescue media.  So, being the paranoid guy I am, I update my Rescue media and thorough test booting and recognition of my drives.  You can generally count on whoever does the change logs to be up to date on if Rescue media needs updating, though.
By Reflecting Mirror - 6 November 2020 2:12 PM

Here is my approach and my reasons why at this link.