Macrium Support Forum

Will CBT work with Windows 7 ??

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic40449.aspx

By harrymacrium - 14 October 2020 11:03 PM

The instructions on your website for CBT says it will NOT work with Windows XP, but it WILL work with Vista. But there is no mention of Windows 7.

I run Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) computers. Will CBT run on them?

Harry
By capair45 - 14 October 2020 11:08 PM

harrymacrium - 14 October 2020 11:03 PM
The instructions on your website for CBT says it will NOT work with Windows XP, but it WILL work with Vista. But there is no mention of Windows 7.

I run Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) computers. Will CBT run on them?

Harry

Yes.  Vista & higher.

See this:  https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Macrium+Changed+Block+Tracker
By jphughan - 14 October 2020 11:30 PM

Vista came before Windows 7, and if Macrium had invested in a component that worked only with Vista, I suspect their target market would have been vanishingly small. Smile
By jphughan - 14 October 2020 11:39 PM

Also note that CBT only works with image backups, not File & Folder backups. I mention this because you posted this question in the File & Folder section of the forum. But as a bit of personal advice, I would think carefully whether you really want CBT. It only delivers a meaningful benefit in a relatively small number of use cases, namely people who make very frequent Incremental backups and/or make image backups of partitions that have a very high average file size, such as VM hosts or database servers. But on the down side, CBT issues have been the cause of a number of problems on people’s systems, ranging from inconveniences such as not being able to safely eject removable storage up to BSoDs, and even one short period where CBT had a bug that caused all backups that were created with it to be corrupt. None of the Reflect deployments I use or support fall into the scenarios I described above, so I’ve personally kept it off of all of my systems because I decided it was simply an unfavorable risk/reward proposition for me. That has also saved me from a lot of forced restarts after updating Reflect, since a CBT driver update requires a restart, and there have been a lot of Reflect updates that include CBT updates. But if you don’t have CBT installed, you don’t need to update that component and therefore often don’t need to restart after installing a Reflect update.
By harrymacrium - 15 October 2020 12:04 AM

jphughan - 14 October 2020 11:39 PM
Also note that CBT only works with image backups, not File & Folder backups. I mention this because you posted this question in the File & Folder section of the forum. But as a bit of personal advice, I would think carefully whether you really want CBT. It only delivers a meaningful benefit in a relatively small number of use cases, namely people who make very frequent Incremental backups and/or make image backups of partitions that have a very high average file size, such as VM hosts or database servers. But on the down side, CBT issues have been the cause of a number of problems on people’s systems, ranging from inconveniences such as not being able to safely eject removable storage up to BSoDs, and even one short period where CBT had a bug that caused all backups that were created with it to be corrupt. None of the Reflect deployments I use or support fall into the scenarios I described above, so I’ve personally kept it off of all of my systems because I decided it was simply an unfavorable risk/reward proposition for me. That has also saved me from a lot of forced restarts after updating Reflect, since a CBT driver update requires a restart, and there have been a lot of Reflect updates that include CBT updates. But if you don’t have CBT installed, you don’t need to update that component and therefore often don’t need to restart after installing a Reflect update.

Thanks for your input. Sorry I filed in the wrong forum section.
I have learned the hard way with lots of programs never to install the 'new & improved' version until it was well sorted. I did NOT install CBT, thinking I could do say later if necessary. I read the Macrium writeup on it, but it did not list the limitations and shortcomings that you have. I don't back up enough to put up with the limitations you listed.
Thanks for mentioning them.
By capair45 - 15 October 2020 12:09 AM

Also, if you only do FULL image backups then CBT is not needed.  I fall into that category and have uninstalled CBT for the reasons mentioned.
By stephen_c - 17 October 2020 3:31 AM

Thanks for such a clear explanation, which I've copied and saved to my main PC.  I suspect that like most users I tried installing CBT when I first purchased a Reflect licence, only to remove it when it proved problematic.  But every so often, I've tended to wonder whether it was 'just me' and that I should try again.  Now I will wonder no more!