Macrium Support Forum

A noob question.

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic40049.aspx

By CodeWarrior - 23 September 2020 7:59 PM

Playing around with viBoot for possible future use.
My virtual C: drive comes from the image I booted.
What does Windows do with disk writes ?
By jphughan - 24 September 2020 2:04 AM

When you start a Reflect image as a VM with viBoot, writes are redirected to a separate file.  It's a similar concept to having a VM snapshot/checkpoint.  Within viBoot, you have the option to create a new Reflect backup of the VM's current state.  The reason is that one of the use cases for viBoot is for business continuity in case of a disaster.  For example, if you have a physical server that completely dies, you can start that server's backup as a VM somewhere else to keep that server up, and when you repair the server, you can make a new Reflect backup based on the current state of that server VM (which might have been running for a few days at that point) and use THAT to restore the real physical server.  But if you don't care about saving changes, you can just delete the VM within the viBoot application whenever you're done with it and choose not to preserve changes.  But no matter what you do, the Reflect image backups themselves are never modified.
By CodeWarrior - 24 September 2020 4:40 PM

Thanks for the explanation including a real world scenario using this feature. To capture changes made by my VM, I would:

1) Start MR in the VM
2) Do a backup
3) Shutdown the VM
4) Restore the backup created in 2) to my real machine.

By jphughan - 24 September 2020 4:55 PM

No. You would use viBoot, running on your host system, to make a Reflect backup of the VM while it’s shut down. That backup can optionally be made as an Incremental of whatever backup you used as the baseline for the VM. The viBoot documentation might be illuminating here.