Macrium Support Forum

Network disconnected rescue mode

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic38400.aspx

By Flam - 26 July 2020 10:12 PM

I can no longer access my backup images on my network when in the Windows PE environment.
  • Network configuration shows "Network Disconnected"
  • There are no "other devices" listed.
  • Cannot browse to network (NAS) location
  • Windows version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042-421)

Thanks for any help
By jphughan - 26 July 2020 10:54 PM

You say you can "no longer" access the network.  So what changed since you could?  You mention you're using the "Windows PE" environment, but you also mention a Build 19042.  If that's the Windows build of the actual Rescue Media environment rather than just your main Windows environment, then that is newer than the PE version that Reflect currently uses when you select WinPE 10 (which is 1709) and also newer than Windows 10 2004's build of 19041.  This would in turn suggest that you are both a) using Windows RE rather than Windows PE, and b) running a Windows Insider build.

If you're running an Insider build as your main Windows environment, you might want to consider using Windows PE 10 as your Base WIM for Rescue Media, which you can specify in Rescue Media Builder under Advanced > Choose Base WIM.  You will give up WiFi support, however, since that's only available when building with WinRE.  If you need WiFi rather than just Ethernet in Rescue Media, then you might want to consider building Rescue Media from a system that is not running an Insider build of Windows so that you're not essentially building something as crucial as Rescue Media on top of a beta environment.
By Flam - 27 July 2020 12:22 PM

jphughan - 26 July 2020 10:54 PM
You say you can "no longer" access the network.  So what changed since you could?  You mention you're using the "Windows PE" environment, but you also mention a Build 19042.  If that's the Windows build of the actual Rescue Media environment rather than just your main Windows environment, then that is newer than the PE version that Reflect currently uses when you select WinPE 10 (which is 1709) and also newer than Windows 10 2004's build of 19041.  This would in turn suggest that you are both a) using Windows RE rather than Windows PE, and b) running a Windows Insider build.

If you're running an Insider build as your main Windows environment, you might want to consider using Windows PE 10 as your Base WIM for Rescue Media, which you can specify in Rescue Media Builder under Advanced > Choose Base WIM.  You will give up WiFi support, however, since that's only available when building with WinRE.  If you need WiFi rather than just Ethernet in Rescue Media, then you might want to consider building Rescue Media from a system that is not running an Insider build of Windows so that you're not essentially building something as crucial as Rescue Media on top of a beta environment.

Thanks for your response!
Indeed, the Windows build I refer to is an insider build. My current PE is, "Windows PE 10 Release 1709 (64-bit). I access via boot loader option. 
By jphughan - 27 July 2020 1:34 PM

Ok, so again, what changed since you were last able to use the network?  And are you sure network connectivity is completely broken?  For example, have you tried opening Command Prompt in Rescue (available from the taskbar) and running ipconfig, or pinging an IP address?
By Flam - 27 July 2020 3:19 PM

jphughan - 27 July 2020 1:34 PM
Ok, so again, what changed since you were last able to use the network?  And are you sure network connectivity is completely broken?  For example, have you tried opening Command Prompt in Rescue (available from the taskbar) and running ipconfig, or pinging an IP address?
As I rarely have occasion to need to restore, it has been quite some time since I last attempted. So, the change would be Windows 10 insider build(s).
Yes, I have tried accessing network from cmd, both from the rescue as well as Windows recovery environments, and there is no network available.
As this is most likely related to OS, my hope is that others have encountered the same issue and found a fix. I have searched and have not found anything.
Thanks again for your responses!
By jphughan - 27 July 2020 3:35 PM

Happy to help!

Ok, if you're using WinPE 10 1709, then a change to your main OS normally wouldn't be relevant.  It normally WOULD be if you were building Rescue Media using WinRE, which causes Rescue Media to be built from an environment on the system's Recovery partition, which would in turn use the same Windows kernel as the "main" Windows environment.  But you're using WinPE 10, which causes Reflect to build Rescue Media on (currently) WinPE 10 1709, regardless of what your main Windows environment is running, and PE 10 1709 has been used as the WinPE 10 build choice since Reflect 7.2.  The only possible explanation I can come up with for why an OS change might have affected your Rescue Media even in this case is that if Reflect determines that certain hardware isn't natively supported by the Windows PE/RE build you're using for Rescue Media, it copies drivers out of the host OS to bake them into Rescue Media to add that support.  So I'm wondering if whatever network driver you're running on your Insider build might not be compatible with the older WinPE 10 1709 kernel.  Just to confirm, when you said in your original post that there are no "other devices" listed, do you mean that you clicked the Restore menu (not tab) and selected View Unsupported Devices, and Reflect didn't list anything?  In that case, it sounds like a network driver that is SUPPOSED to be appropriate for your network adapter was loaded, but it isn't working properly.  I've helped a couple people here who observed that problem with some storage controllers, i.e. driver loaded but no storage visible.  If that's what happened, the workaround would be to manually put a suitable network driver package into your Rescue Media build folder, specifically "C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\Ethernet".  You might need to delete an existing driver there, then create a new folder (name doesn't matter) and copy the driver files of a suitable release into there.  You'd probably have to get that from the website of the system or network adapter vendor.  Then rebuild your Rescue Media and retest.

If on the other hand the View Unsupported Devices interface DOES show a network adapter, it means that a driver isn't being loaded at all. In that case, adding a suitable driver as I just described should still fix that.
By Flam - 27 July 2020 8:12 PM

jphughan - 27 July 2020 3:35 PM
Happy to help!

Ok, if you're using WinPE 10 1709, then a change to your main OS normally wouldn't be relevant.  It normally WOULD be if you were building Rescue Media using WinRE, which causes Rescue Media to be built from an environment on the system's Recovery partition, which would in turn use the same Windows kernel as the "main" Windows environment.  But you're using WinPE 10, which causes Reflect to build Rescue Media on (currently) WinPE 10 1709, regardless of what your main Windows environment is running, and PE 10 1709 has been used as the WinPE 10 build choice since Reflect 7.2.  The only possible explanation I can come up with for why an OS change might have affected your Rescue Media even in this case is that if Reflect determines that certain hardware isn't natively supported by the Windows PE/RE build you're using for Rescue Media, it copies drivers out of the host OS to bake them into Rescue Media to add that support.  So I'm wondering if whatever network driver you're running on your Insider build might not be compatible with the older WinPE 10 1709 kernel.  Just to confirm, when you said in your original post that there are no "other devices" listed, do you mean that you clicked the Restore menu (not tab) and selected View Unsupported Devices, and Reflect didn't list anything?  In that case, it sounds like a network driver that is SUPPOSED to be appropriate for your network adapter was loaded, but it isn't working properly.  I've helped a couple people here who observed that problem with some storage controllers, i.e. driver loaded but no storage visible.  If that's what happened, the workaround would be to manually put a suitable network driver package into your Rescue Media build folder, specifically "C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\Ethernet".  You might need to delete an existing driver there, then create a new folder (name doesn't matter) and copy the driver files of a suitable release into there.  You'd probably have to get that from the website of the system or network adapter vendor.  Then rebuild your Rescue Media and retest.

If on the other hand the View Unsupported Devices interface DOES show a network adapter, it means that a driver isn't being loaded at all. In that case, adding a suitable driver as I just described should still fix that.

Thanks again!
I downloaded the drivers (3 files) and added them to the network folder. I chose to update the rescue environment - it indicated new drivers - I then booted into the Win PE environment - sadly, no change. 
After going back to Windows I again attempted to update rescue by manually browsing to the Drivers..../Ethernet folder. 
I chose "scan". the resulting dialog reads, "No updated driver found. The best driver is already set for this device".
I then created a boot CD, with the same result.
I believe the drivers are loading but the issue  Has to do with "Media disconnected" when I run ipconfig. Here are a couple of screen shots.
By jphughan - 27 July 2020 8:19 PM

Well a picture is worth 1000 words.  Yes, that indicates that the driver is indeed loading properly.  If what you posted in those screenshots is what you've been seeing all along, then those would have been worth posting upfront, since that might have saved a trip down a rabbit hole. Smile  But you're saying that the network adapter shows as Disconnected in Rescue even though it shows as connected in full Windows?  Just as a sanity check, for that adapter labeled Ethernet in the ipconfig output from within Rescue, can you note down its MAC Address and make sure that the network adapter that actually works in Windows is using the same MAC Address?  If you're finding that the exact same Ethernet adapter with the same MAC Address is showing as connected and functional in full Windows but shows as Disconnected in Windows PE, I'm not sure what to suggest.  I've never seen that happen when the driver has been loaded and the adapter is shown in ipconfig output.
By Flam - 27 July 2020 8:32 PM

jphughan - 27 July 2020 8:19 PM
Well a picture is worth 1000 words.  Yes, that indicates that the driver is indeed loading properly.  If what you posted in those screenshots is what you've been seeing all along, then those would have been worth posting upfront, since that might have saved a trip down a rabbit hole. Smile  But you're saying that the network adapter shows as Disconnected in Rescue even though it shows as connected in full Windows?  Just as a sanity check, for that adapter labeled Ethernet in the ipconfig output from within Rescue, can you note down its MAC Address and make sure that the network adapter that actually works in Windows is using the same MAC Address?  If you're finding that the exact same Ethernet adapter with the same MAC Address is showing as connected and functional in full Windows but shows as Disconnected in Windows PE, I'm not sure what to suggest.  I've never seen that happen when the driver has been loaded and the adapter is shown in ipconfig output.

Sorry for the rabbit hole - Yes, this is what I have been seeing all along.
I verified that the MAC Address in Windows and Rescue are identical.
My workaround is to use a USB connected external HDD for backups. Of course, I much prefer using my NAS.
Thanks again for your suggestions. This is indeed odd.
By jphughan - 27 July 2020 8:37 PM

Just as a really long shot, what happens if you disconnect and reconnect the network cable after the driver has loaded?  Any change?  And do you see an actual link light active at the port, assuming your Ethernet interface even has one?  Or if not, do you have a link light at the switch port or whatever device is on the other end of that cable?
By Flam - 27 July 2020 8:56 PM

jphughan - 27 July 2020 8:37 PM
Just as a really long shot, what happens if you disconnect and reconnect the network cable after the driver has loaded?  Any change?  And do you see an actual link light active at the port, assuming your Ethernet interface even has one?  Or if not, do you have a link light at the switch port or whatever device is on the other end of that cable?

I dis/re connected as you suggested. No change. No activity light.
When I booted into Windows, the network activity light is blinking as expected.
By jphughan - 27 July 2020 9:45 PM

Ok, then what system model or motherboard model is this Ethernet adapter built into?  And where did you get the drivers that you downloaded?  (Or as another possible workaround, I suppose you could try switching to WinRE as your Rescue Media base WIM.  Normally that wouldn't be ideal if you're running an Insider build, but if WinPE 10 1709 is known not to work properly in this regard, you could always try WinRE to see what happens.  You can always switch back, after all.)
By Flam - 27 July 2020 10:11 PM

jphughan - 27 July 2020 9:45 PM
Ok, then what system model or motherboard model is this Ethernet adapter built into?  And where did you get the drivers that you downloaded?  (Or as another possible workaround, I suppose you could try switching to WinRE as your Rescue Media base WIM.  Normally that wouldn't be ideal if you're running an Insider build, but if WinPE 10 1709 is known not to work properly in this regard, you could always try WinRE to see what happens.  You can always switch back, after all.)

Motherboard is MSI P55-CD53 (MS-7586).
I got the drivers from the realtek site:
https://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/
I tried WinRE last week...
Thanks again for your help!
By jphughan - 27 July 2020 10:26 PM

Ok, well the MSI page for that motherboard doesn't seem to have any drivers past Windows 7.  I don't think that site you found is actually owned and operated by Realtek.  Note that it's not download.realtek.com or realtek.com/download, but rather realtek-download.com.  That's an entirely separate domain name from realtek.com.  I could go register a domain Macrium-Support.com fairly easily and it wouldn't be an actual Macrium website, for example.  The authentic download page for that network adapter appears to be this: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software -- although they rather annoyingly require an email address to send you a download link.  But in fairness, if your motherboard is old enough that its vendor page only offers drivers up to Windows 7, I'd be surprised if having the wrong driver is the issue here.  I would expect Windows PE to have gained native support for that network adapter a while ago.  And if you built WinRE without even including any additional drivers manually and it didn't work either, then that means that whatever OTHER built-in driver was being at that point didn't behave any differently, which means I wouldn't be optimistic that downloading a driver directly from Realtek would resolve this.  Then again, I don't have any other theories as to why your network adapter would work properly in full Windows and show "Media Disconnected" when you rebooted into Windows PE, so maybe the unlikely fixes are worth trying.
By Flam - 28 July 2020 12:17 AM

jphughan - 27 July 2020 10:26 PM
Ok, well the MSI page for that motherboard doesn't seem to have any drivers past Windows 7.  I don't think that site you found is actually owned and operated by Realtek.  Note that it's not download.realtek.com or realtek.com/download, but rather realtek-download.com.  That's an entirely separate domain name from realtek.com.  I could go register a domain Macrium-Support.com fairly easily and it wouldn't be an actual Macrium website, for example.  The authentic download page for that network adapter appears to be this: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software -- although they rather annoyingly require an email address to send you a download link.  But in fairness, if your motherboard is old enough that its vendor page only offers drivers up to Windows 7, I'd be surprised if having the wrong driver is the issue here.  I would expect Windows PE to have gained native support for that network adapter a while ago.  And if you built WinRE without even including any additional drivers manually and it didn't work either, then that means that whatever OTHER built-in driver was being at that point didn't behave any differently, which means I wouldn't be optimistic that downloading a driver directly from Realtek would resolve this.  Then again, I don't have any other theories as to why your network adapter would work properly in full Windows and show "Media Disconnected" when you rebooted into Windows PE, so maybe the unlikely fixes are worth trying.

I noticed the website was not the OEM after you asked me where I got the drivers. I went to the actual realtek site and downloaded the drivers from there. They "seemed" to be the same as the files from that "wrong" site. However, I replaced the drivers in the Boot....network dir. anyway.
Updated the winPE, booted to the rescue environment... No change.
Thanks for your thoroughness and help.
....Back to the drawing board 8-)
By jphughan - 28 July 2020 1:01 AM

Well in that case, unfortunately I'm out of ideas on this one.  Please do post back if you ever find a solution though, because this one has definitely gotten me curious.  I've worked in various IT roles for about 15 years now, so I've seen more than my fair share of tech issues -- but I've never seen this!
By Flam - 28 July 2020 12:41 PM

jphughan - 28 July 2020 1:01 AM
Well in that case, unfortunately I'm out of ideas on this one.  Please do post back if you ever find a solution though, because this one has definitely gotten me curious.  I've worked in various IT roles for about 15 years now, so I've seen more than my fair share of tech issues -- but I've never seen this!

Will do.