Macrium Support Forum

Macrium Reflect finds virus

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic37596.aspx

By lmroberts36 - 30 June 2020 1:44 PM

Just a bit of FYI and THANKS to the folks at Macrium Software.

When doing a File and Folder backup yesterday, Reflect discovered a trojan on my system. I have the "Windows Security App" and MalwareBytes for Anti Virus protection on my system They are resident in memory and are supposed to pick up such things on a real-time basis, but none of those programs alerted me to the presence of the trojan even when doing a quick scan. After doing a full scan with Windows Security the trojan was found and removed. So I guess the takeaway from this experience is that Reflect did an admirable job in sniffing out the trojan and also that it makes sense to do a periodic full scan with your anti virus programs.

Larry
By jphughan - 30 June 2020 1:54 PM

Reflect doesn't scan for viruses, but anti-virus running in the background will typically perform on-demand scanning of files that other applications are attempting to access, so when Reflect read that file for the sole purpose of backing it up, that likely caused your anti-virus to take a look at it. Smile
By lmroberts36 - 30 June 2020 2:04 PM

jphughan - 30 June 2020 1:54 PM
Reflect doesn't scan for viruses, but anti-virus running in the background will typically perform on-demand scanning of files that other applications are attempting to access, so when Reflect read that file for the sole purpose of backing it up, that likely caused your anti-virus to take a look at it. Smile

Thanks. That's good to know. But it's disturbing to discover that the anti virus/malware programs running in real-time are not picking up the virus on their own when it first enters the device.