Macrium Support Forum

Odd screen display resolution on Recovery Media

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic3602.aspx

By ToniA - 4 September 2015 7:47 PM

When I boot my computer from v6's recovery media, the screen resolution is messed up.
The text is so big I can not see the whole text, or "next/finish" buttons.
So restoring an image is nearly impossible since I can not see the buttons..
Is there an way to change the display resolution on the recovery media?

By ToniA - 7 September 2015 11:31 AM

Well? anyone?
Is it possible to set the resolution on the recovery media permanently at 640x480 or 800x600 ?

By Arvy - 7 September 2015 12:01 PM

No way that I have been able to discover.  The is an "Other Tasks" selection for resetting the screen resolution when Reflect is running in its WinPE "rescue" mode, but no pre-selectable permanent setting that can be included in the PE build that I'm aware of.  In fact, Macrium's response has been negative to my own past inquiries about whether some kind of optional switching might be available to control Reflect's default behaviours (or even just turn off things like screen resolution resets and "drive letter" re-assignments) in "customised" WinPE builds.

That was back when I was running Reflect v5, but I was told at the time that no such options were currently available and none were being planned.  So it appears that we're stuck with doing it ourselves manually after each WinPE boot-up for the foreseeable future.  For my own multi-boot purposes, I actually find Reflect's automated "drive letter" re-assignments to be the more troublesome nuisance, although I can certainly understand the good intentions that are involved for the vast majority of users.
By ToniA - 7 September 2015 3:04 PM

Arvy - 7 September 2015 12:01 PM
No way that I have been able to discover.  The is an "Other Tasks" selection for resetting the screen resolution when Reflect is running in its WinPE "rescue" mode, but no pre-selectable permanent setting that can be included in the PE build that I'm aware of. 

Thank you for your reply.
I didn't even realize there was such option in the recovery media.
I will try it, thanks!

By Arvy - 7 September 2015 3:17 PM

You're welcome.  It's not surprising if you weren't aware of the resolution setting feature in Reflect's WinPE "rescue" environment.  It was only added recently in the v6.0.753 update release.  So make sure that you have updated your WinPE "rescue" media to that latest (at time of posting) version.
By Nick - 7 September 2015 4:02 PM

Hi 

Thanks for posting. 

Is your system a modern GPT/UEFI booting system running Win 8/10?

The screen resolutions available to Windows PE are not the same as when running in normal Windows.  There are no drivers required for PE. The resolutions available when booted into PE using UEFI are determined by the Graphics Output Protocol (GOP) of your UEFI BIOS. 

We have seen some UEFI implementations where this is limited to a resolution of 640x480.  Please can you enter the BIOS of your PC and toggle the option for 'Secure Boot'. This can often enable more resolution options in PE.