Macrium Support Forum

Need to Update Recovery Media after MR Point Update?

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic32644.aspx

By SantaFeBill - 29 November 2019 10:26 PM

Do you need to update your recovery media after every MR point update?
By jphughan - 29 November 2019 10:49 PM

Definitely not. Relatively few Reflect updates even contain changes that pertain to the Rescue environment at all, and when they do, the release notes typically have a note in res text saying to rebuild your Rescue Media after updating if the change applies to you. But even then, that last part is key. Sometimes those changes only pertain to specific situations or setups that may or may not apply to you. So you can definitely skip Rescue Media updates if the Reflect update you just installed doesn’t have any changes that are or could even potentially be relevant to you.

I personally don’t even update Reflect itself every single time there’s an update available if nothing in that update’s release notes sounds relevant to me. And for Rescue Media, I always keep an ISO file of a known working Rescue Media build somewhere that I’ll be able to access if my PC ever dies. That way even if I update Reflect and the update turns out to have introduced a problem with its Rescue Media, which has happened, I’ll still have that ISO available to create usable Rescue Media even if it’s based on a slightly older Reflect version.

By SantaFeBill - 3 December 2019 3:17 AM

jphughan - 29 November 2019 10:49 PM
Definitely not. Relatively few Reflect updates even contain changes that pertain to the Rescue environment at all, and when they do, the release notes typically have a note in res text saying to rebuild your Rescue Media after updating if the change applies to you. But even then, that last part is key. Sometimes those changes only pertain to specific situations or setups that may or may not apply to you. So you can definitely skip Rescue Media updates if the Reflect update you just installed doesn’t have any changes that are or could even potentially be relevant to you.I personally don’t even update Reflect itself every single time there’s an update available if nothing in that update’s release notes sounds relevant to me. And for Rescue Media, I always keep an ISO file of a known working Rescue Media build somewhere that I’ll be able to access if my PC ever dies. That way even if I update Reflect and the update turns out to have introduced a problem with its Rescue Media, which has happened, I’ll still have that ISO available to create usable Rescue Media even if it’s based on a slightly older Reflect version.

Thanks! Saves CD's.
By jphughan - 3 December 2019 3:47 AM

Happy to help!  Although you might want to consider switching to USB flash drives.  Even decent ones are cheap enough that you can dedicate one to Rescue Media, and they boot MUCH faster than optical discs -- plus they're easy to update as needed without having to deal with new discs or rewritable discs.  I myself use SanDisk Ultra Flair flash drives as my workhorse because they're physically small, fast on read speeds, decent on write speeds, and very inexpensive.
By core - 27 June 2021 2:03 AM

After an update, MR should tell me whether I need to update the Rescue Media.  The SW should not rely on users "noticing" in the release notes whether recovery media update is required.

I don't remember seeing any notification that I should update when I went from v7 to v8 and when I just tested the recovery boot it booted to a v7 environment.  Would it be able to restore v8 files in all cases?  I have no idea.
By jphughan - 27 June 2021 2:08 AM

core - 27 June 2021 2:03 AM
After an update, MR should tell me whether I need to update the Rescue Media.  The SW should not rely on users "noticing" in the release notes whether recovery media update is required.

I don't remember seeing any notification that I should update when I went from v7 to v8 and when I just tested the recovery boot it booted to a v7 environment.  Would it be able to restore v8 files in all cases?  I have no idea.

If you open Rescue Media Builder and Reflect has been updated since the time of the cached build, Rescue Media Builder will automatically create updated Rescue Media when build to a disc, flash drive, or ISO file.  And if you have the Windows Boot Menu option enabled, you'll be prompted to update that as soon as Rescue Media Builder launches in this situation.  Additionally, Reflect as of this writing does not support automatic background updates.  You have to manually choose to download and install a Reflect update, and that window shows the release notes.  But even if you don't take that opportunity to read the release notes, that manual action means that you'll always know that you updated Reflect, and therefore that a Rescue Media update is available too.  If you don't want to take the time to read whether a given release has changes that apply to Rescue Media, you can just update your Rescue Media after each Reflect update.  But you'll save time reading the release notes.
By core - 27 June 2021 2:46 AM

jphughan - 27 June 2021 2:08 AM

If you open Rescue Media Builder and Reflect has been updated since the time of the cached build, Rescue Media Builder will automatically create updated Rescue Media when build to a disc, flash drive, or ISO file.  And if you have the Windows Boot Menu option enabled, you'll be prompted to update that as soon as Rescue Media Builder launches in this situation.  Additionally, Reflect as of this writing does not support automatic background updates.  You have to manually choose to download and install a Reflect update, and that window shows the release notes.  But even if you don't take that opportunity to read the release notes, that manual action means that you'll always know that you updated Reflect, and therefore that a Rescue Media update is available too.  If you don't want to take the time to read whether a given release has changes that apply to Rescue Media, you can just update your Rescue Media after each Reflect update.  But you'll save time reading the release notes.

Your comments make 99% sense since we manually initiate the update.

But my suggestion is only that:  it would be best if the UI explicitly notified us when a significant difference occurs.  This is just the sort of task for the SW not humans to keep track of. Smile
Basically any update to the Rescue system that is not cosmetic (e.g. restore bug fix or incompatibility like an older rescue environment being unable to restore a latest Reflect backup for any reason).  I need to go to several systems to do updates and sometimes MR requires a reboot - which means I go do something else.  It would be much better if the system reminded us there is a still a pending reason to update on a given system.
By capair45 - 27 June 2021 11:22 AM

SantaFeBill - 29 November 2019 10:26 PM
Do you need to update your recovery media after every MR point update?

You also might want to consider keeping a spare rescue media tucked away in a safe place just in case your primary one fails for some reason.  I have a spare rescue media flash drive stored away in a home safe where I store the disk drives I rotate through image backups.

Depending on the size of your rescue media, other files can be stored on it (e.g. MR Installer, License key text file, ISO file etc.). They will not interfere with rebooting your machine into the rescue environment and will not be removed if you update the media to a newer Reflect version.
By dbminter - 27 June 2021 6:39 PM

If you ever move to v8, it now images flash drives, so you can also make an image of your Rescue Media on a flash drive before updating it.  You can then keep that image handy to restore back to if a Rescue Media update doesn't go right for whatever reason.

However, as @jphughan suggested, for v7, keep ISO's handy of older Rescue Media.  I always used the create an ISO option with new updates.  Then, you can use Rufus to write any older Rescue Media ISO's to a flash drive.

It's my personal preference, but I always update the Rescue Media with each new version.  You never know what one of those "various fixes" listed in the release notes might apply to Rescue Media and they forgot to make note of it in the release notes, which has happened.  Which when I was on v7, I always updated my flash drive Rescue Media and made new ISO files to save on hand.  That way, I could revert back, if necessary.  v8's ability to image flash drives makes that easier now.  However, it is not necessary to always update the Rescue Media.