Macrium Support Forum

7.2.4440 update, no recovery images displayed

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic30600.aspx

By heiermann - 20 August 2019 1:05 PM

After the update, I can no longer restore images. Regardless of whether the program is started via the Windows Bootmenu or via a USB Rescue Media Stick. In the folder where the images are in the right window nothing is displayed. Again manually search in the folders. It does not show anything, whether full image or file and folder recovery. I'm back on the 7.2.4325. There everything is ok. Anyone else the problem?
By Chris - 20 August 2019 1:09 PM

Stefan Bernhard - 20 August 2019 1:05 PM
After the update, I can no longer restore images. Regardless of whether the program is started via the Windows Bootmenu or via a USB Rescue Media Stick. In the folder where the images are in the right window nothing is displayed. Again manually search in the folders. It does not show anything, whether full image or file and folder recovery. I'm back on the 7.2.4325. There everything is ok. Anyone else the problem?

HI @heiermann

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having problems. Please can you raise a support ticket here: https://helpme.macrium.com so we can gather further information.

Many thanks and kind regards.
By jphughan - 20 August 2019 2:12 PM

Sounds like Macrium will be taking care of you directly, but for future reference, it’s possible to capture screenshots in the Rescue environment. You just press the PrintScreen key on your keyboard and then a file save dialog box will appear. Choose somewhere to save the file, and that file will be a full screen capture of whatever was displayed when you pressed the key. Screenshots often help with issues like this because it makes it clear exactly what you’re looking at, and in many cases something displayed in the screenshot itself makes it clear what the issue is. In this specific case, the change in behavior could be the result of changes mentioned in the release notes around how/whether USB drivers are copied to your Rescue Media build, FYI. But whatever the issue, hopefully Macrium gets everything sorted out.
By heiermann - 27 August 2019 8:19 AM

The same problem with the version 4440:

Windows PE Bootmenu:

Under Windows 10:

With the version 4325 I do not have the problem.

By heiermann - 27 August 2019 12:47 PM

On Windows Bootmenu Windows PE 10 (WADK) I do not see the images. I have now changed the boot menu to Windows RE. This works fine. Sorry if I'm going to annoy you..

By Chris - 27 August 2019 1:13 PM

Stefan Bernhard - 27 August 2019 12:47 PM
On Windows Bootmenu Windows PE 10 (WADK) I do not see the images. I have now changed the boot menu to Windows RE. This works fine. Sorry if I'm going to annoy you..

Hi @heiermann

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having continued problems, we don't seem to have received a support ticket for the issue you raised originally.

However, please can you try WADK10 media again except this time please try the "Force rebuild" option, hold down the Ctrl key on the rescue media creation dialog and this should change the build button to have a drop down button. Select this drop down button and choose the force option. Once built, boot and observe the results.

If this does not resolve your issue please can you raise a support ticket here: https://helpme.macrium.com so we can gather further information.

Kind regards.
By heiermann - 27 August 2019 1:35 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I once tried "Force rebuild," but the same problem. With Window RE bootmenu everything in order. Sorry for my bad English. Use google translator for translation
By Chris - 27 August 2019 3:37 PM

Stefan Bernhard - 27 August 2019 1:35 PM
Thank you for your prompt reply. I once tried "Force rebuild," but the same problem. With Window RE bootmenu everything in order. Sorry for my bad English. Use google translator for translation

HI @heiermann

Thanks for getting back to us. Please can you raise a support ticket here: https://helpme.macrium.com so we can gather further information.

Kind regards.
By heiermann - 27 August 2019 4:06 PM

OK...I just created a ticket for support. (Ticketnumber: #53662)
By jphughan - 27 August 2019 5:37 PM

Out of curiosity, if you use the WinPE 10 build where your backups don't appear, how does your external hard drive appear in the PE Explorer application?  That is accessed by clicking the computer icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the Rescue interface.  Is your external hard drive detected there?  If it is, then is it also assigned drive letter "L"?  If the external drive is detected but is using a different drive letter, then changing the "Folders to search" list to include the correct path to the folder that contains your backups should cause the backups to appear.  If the external hard drive is not detected at all, that might be caused by a USB driver issue in your WinPE build that does not exist in the WinRE build.
By Dreamer2004 - 27 August 2019 8:00 PM

Just updated from the version before last and receive the same error: The restore window shows no images and if you search for them they cannot be opened either:

By jphughan - 27 August 2019 9:54 PM

Is there an error when you browse to an image file and select one, or does the browse window just disappear without showing the backup in the main application window? There are other reports of backups not being listed in the Restore area in the Rescue Media environment, so this might have the same underlying cause as that. Macrium has already asked one of the people who reported that to submit a support ticket for further investigation, which they did today.
By Dreamer2004 - 28 August 2019 8:30 AM

If I browse to an image file and select one, nothing happens (no error message), the browse window just diappears... An image restore is not possible at the moment, but mounting an image in windows explorer is still possible.
By heiermann - 28 August 2019 10:36 AM

Dreamer2004 - 28 August 2019 8:30 AM
If I browse to an image file and select one, nothing happens (no error message), the browse window just diappears... An image restore is not possible at the moment, but mounting an image in windows explorer is still possible.

That's exactly how it is with me. Bootmenu Windows 10 PE (WADK). Bootmenu Windows RE everything is displayed correctly. Have for the support a ticket opened.
By Dreamer2004 - 28 August 2019 2:21 PM

Stefan Bernhard - 28 August 2019 10:36 AM

That's exactly how it is with me. Bootmenu Windows 10 PE (WADK). Bootmenu Windows RE everything is displayed correctly. Have for the support a ticket opened.

How did you return to v7.2.4325? I have the licensed Home Edition, but the installer that is available to me only sets up the latest edition...
By jphughan - 28 August 2019 2:28 PM

Probably by periodically using the download agent to retrieve full installers and keeping them around for a while. Other forum members do this as well. Keeping ISO file Rescue Media builds from older versions is another thing some forum users do, so that if a new version turns out to have a problem that affects Rescue, they still have a way to use Rescue Media created by a previous release without having to keep a stack of discs or flash drives around or even have downloaded older installers beforehand.
By dbminter - 28 August 2019 2:28 PM

He probably kept a copy of the old installer or just restored an image he made of the Windows partition with 7.2.4325 installed on it.

As for the first option, here's a suggestion.  If you're using flash drives to make your Rescue Media and it's relatively large enough, you can do what I do.  Make a folder on the flash drive.  Every time a new update for Reflect is notified by the software, use the Download Agent downloaded from the Macrium.com front page and download the latest full installer.  Then, copy that full installer to the flash drive folder.  Then, you can hold on to past versions for a while.  And you could probably just keep the old installers until the flash drive is getting near full.  Then, you can delete some of them starting with the older ones first.  This way, you can regress to an older version if there is some kind of issue you encounter where the software can't be used.

EDIT: Ah, JP replied while I was composing mine.  I also keep old copies of the Rescue Media ISO's, just in case there's something wrong with the Rescue Media that doesn't immediately manifest itself.   And I keep them on my Rescue Media flash drive, too.
By Chris - 28 August 2019 4:07 PM

HI @Dreamer2004

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having problems. Please try changing Macrium Reflect language settings from English to German by pressing Ctrl+Shift+L, a restart of Reflect will be required. This should resolve the issue.

I can reproduce the issue by running Macrium Reflect with English settings on an OS with German region but the issue does not reproduce when running Reflect with German language settings on an OS with German region set.

Kind regards.
By jphughan - 28 August 2019 4:22 PM

Interesting find, and now I'm curious if this explains the report from @heiermann that WinRE works but WinPE 10 doesn't.  Since Stefan is using Reflect in German, is it possible that WinRE builds use German language settings when they're installed alongside a German language Windows instance, while WinPE always uses English, and therefore Stefan's WinPE 10 builds would be creating a language "mismatch" between Reflect and the underlying OS?  But given that this was not an issue with previous releases, is this something that can be fixed such that images still appear in this language mismatch condition?
By heiermann - 28 August 2019 4:42 PM

That's a thing. I switched Macrium to English using the keys strg-ctrl + L and created a rescue medium (Windows 10 PE) for the Windows Bootmenu. See there I can now see my image in Explorer. Now it is in English, but I would like to have it in German. With the version 7.2.4325 everything and I did not work 7.2.4440 unfortunately. See Screenshots in my Post: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic30600.aspx#30750
I have just communicated the problem to the support. Now I'm already a bit further.
By Dreamer2004 - 28 August 2019 6:47 PM

Chris - 28 August 2019 4:07 PM

HI @Dreamer2004

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having problems. Please try changing Macrium Reflect language settings from English to German by pressing Ctrl+Shift+L, a restart of Reflect will be required. This should resolve the issue.

I can reproduce the issue by running Macrium Reflect with English settings on an OS with German region but the issue does not reproduce when running Reflect with German language settings on an OS with German region set.

Kind regards.

Thanks a lot. That's a temporary solution though, because switching back to English settings in Macrium re-introduces the issue for users with a German OS.
By heiermann - 29 August 2019 9:29 AM

I received an update on my open ticket today. Ticket was closed. The support wrote:
"We have been able to reproduce this issue at our end, and will be releasing a fix in the next update to Reflect."

Thanks to all who answered. Special thanks to jphughan who recognized the problem and Andrew B. for the good work for the support ... :-)

Best regards
Stefan
By Chris - 29 August 2019 1:05 PM

Dreamer2004 - 28 August 2019 6:47 PM
Chris - 28 August 2019 4:07 PM

HI @Dreamer2004

Kind regards.

Thanks a lot. That's a temporary solution though, because switching back to English settings in Macrium re-introduces the issue for users with a German OS.

Hi @Dreamer2004

Thanks for posting back, sorry for my late reply.

I have added a fix for the Browse Image issue (which also fixes the "Folders To Search" issue in live Windows), this should be released in the next patch, I can't say when this will be but it should be in the next couple of weeks.

Kind regards/