Macrium Support Forum

Clone error 9

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic28460.aspx

By dgold - 29 March 2019 11:24 PM

I've been using Macrium for years now, FWIW.  A couple days ago, my regular backup disk started giving this error on the C drive backup to my USB clone drive.  I figured the drive had gone bad, so I ordered another.  It also gets the same error.  I changed the external drive case and reformatted the new drive to get it back online.  Failed again.  I then ordered another drive, same results.  Changed cables, no change.  Changed USB ports, no change.

I took the original replacement drive and dragged/dropped my C drive on and it copied.

Open to suggestions.

By jphughan - 30 March 2019 12:31 AM

It sounds like all of your troubleshooting has been focused around your USB-attached clone target drive.  The error says "read failed", which suggests a problem with your source, not the destination.  You could try running CHKDSK /R against your C drive to see if that resolve the issue.  Be aware that it can take several hours, so plan accordingly.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, you might need to replace that drive.  Hopefully you've been making image backups somewhere rather than just performing clones, because if your clone fails in the middle of an operation like that, then your clone target isn't in a usable state anymore, which means you wouldn't be able to use it to restore the source.

Copy/pasting the contents of a Windows partition is not a viable way to back it up.  First, there are some file system techniques that Windows uses that won't carry over on a normal copy.  One example is "hard links", which allow the same file to appear in multiple folders while only actually existing on the disk once.  A regular copy/paste would create multiple copies of those files, so in addition to the copy being larger than the source, those files will no longer be linked as they were meant to be.  And then there's the possibility that file/folder permissions and attributes will mean you don't even copy all of the source data over.  I would be surprised if the copy/pasted C drive works at all, but even if it does, I doubt it would work properly.
By dgold - 30 March 2019 2:12 AM

jphughan - 30 March 2019 12:31 AM
It sounds like all of your troubleshooting has been focused around your USB-attached clone target drive.  The error says "read failed", which suggests a problem with your source, not the destination.  You could try running CHKDSK /R against your C drive to see if that resolve the issue.  Be aware that it can take several hours, so plan accordingly.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, you might need to replace that drive.  Hopefully you've been making image backups somewhere rather than just performing clones, because if your clone fails in the middle of an operation like that, then your clone target isn't in a usable state anymore, which means you wouldn't be able to use it to restore the source.

Copy/pasting the contents of a Windows partition is not a viable way to back it up.  First, there are some file system techniques that Windows uses that won't carry over on a normal copy.  One example is "hard links", which allow the same file to appear in multiple folders while only actually existing on the disk once.  A regular copy/paste would create multiple copies of those files, so in addition to the copy being larger than the source, those files will no longer be linked as they were meant to be.  And then there's the possibility that file/folder permissions and attributes will mean you don't even copy all of the source data over.  I would be surprised if the copy/pasted C drive works at all, but even if it does, I doubt it would work properly.

Unfortunately, each drive I was copying to was corrupted and had to be reformatted after the CRC error and Macrium each time said that drive was unreachable after the error.  When I closed that window, it updated to the screen shot contents you see here.

CRC error's are like an ECC error in memory.  Used to see them all the time on disk drives when I worked for Digital Equipment Corporation, (its an old technology).

If the C drive is causing the CRC, how come every drive that is being written to ceases to function untill it is reformatted????  Or is Macrium writing bad data to the drives from the C drive and then finding a problem?  That sounds like a bug in Macrium, ie, the CRC check should be done BEFORE writing data to the destination.
By jphughan - 30 March 2019 2:15 AM

If a clone operation fails partway through, then the file system on the target is not in a valid state, which renders the partition unusable in its current state.  Reformatting the target sets up a brand new file system, effectively resetting the partition, thereby allowing it to be used again.
By dgold - 30 March 2019 2:17 AM

jphughan - 30 March 2019 2:15 AM
If a clone operation fails partway through, then the file system on the target is not in a valid state.  Reformatting the target sets up a brand new file system, effectively resetting the partition, thereby allowing it to be used again.

So why is Macrium writing garbage to the destination?  Or so it appears.  See my edited comment above.
By jphughan - 30 March 2019 2:22 AM

The error indicates that the data on the source failed a CRC check, which caused Reflect to abort the clone operation -- not that incorrect or "garbage" data was written to the destination and failed a CRC check there.  If you're asking why Reflect is leaving the target in an unusable state, it's because Reflect doesn't check the entire source for possible CRC errors before starting to write anything to the destination, and I don't know of a way to force it to do that -- so when the clone operation is aborted partway through, the destination is not in a usable state.
By jphughan - 30 March 2019 2:26 AM

Here is Macrium's own KB article about this error: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Imaging+disks+with+bad+sectors
By dgold - 30 March 2019 2:35 AM

Will check out the link.  Here is the Scan I ran from the properties dialogue, which I believe invokes CHKDSK.  It found no errors.
By jphughan - 30 March 2019 2:37 AM

Run CHKDSK specifically with the /R switch
By dgold - 30 March 2019 2:39 PM

All,

So, following the suggestions of jphughan, I ran chkdisk c: /r on reboot, twice.  Each time, it rebooted back into the OS and left nothing in the event log that seemed to align with a disk error.  So, I tried an image copy to my backup disk from drive c.  It got the CRC error and I then got in the event log under "Administrative Events" the following  2 errors:
"The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block."  That was it.

My primary drive is an SSD, so, I suspect there is some sort of flash issue that the regular chkdisk /r is not dealing with very well.  At any rate, I am running a chkdsk /r on my old backup on my other Win 10 laptop, so far, so good.  I will have a backup that hopefully I can restore to the new SSD I ordered as I suspect this one is beyond redemption.

Again, jphughan, thanks for the patient replies,

David
By jphughan - 30 March 2019 3:01 PM

Happy to help, although sorry to hear that the issue wasn’t totally fixable. What do you mean you’re running Chkdsk /r on a backup, though? A mounted backup file wouldn’t have sector errors unless maybe you had the “Ignore bad sectors” option enabled in Reflect when that image was captured. If you want to verify the integrity of the backup file itself, you should use the Verify Image function built into Reflect.
By Seekforever - 30 March 2019 6:13 PM

Chkdsk /r is pretty good but it is a general diagnostic program.  Better results can usually be obtained by downloading the disk vendor's diagnostic for the suspect disk