Macrium Support Forum

VSS Error: 0x80042316 IDispatch error #8470

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic27690.aspx

By glanc - 21 January 2019 5:22 PM

Hello,

in Site Manager 7.2.39.71 that was working with no problems imaging several vm server and phisical workstations, now they all fails with these errors:
----
A VSS error was encountered creating the snapshot - Error: 0x80042316
The backup failed to complete successfully - Reason: Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x80042316 - IDispatch error #8470
----

Tried several sultions: VSSFIX.exe from Macrium, manual script to re-register vss components, vssadmin list writers are all OK and so on. vss services are up and running on all clients. Also added the registry fix to increase the vss timeout byt still fails. Don't know what to do now! Thanks.
By Chris - 22 January 2019 6:37 AM

glanc - 21 January 2019 5:22 PM
Hello,

in Site Manager 7.2.39.71 that was working with no problems imaging several vm server and phisical workstations, now they all fails with these errors:
----
A VSS error was encountered creating the snapshot - Error: 0x80042316
The backup failed to complete successfully - Reason: Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x80042316 - IDispatch error #8470
----

Tried several sultions: VSSFIX.exe from Macrium, manual script to re-register vss components, vssadmin list writers are all OK and so on. vss services are up and running on all clients. Also added the registry fix to increase the vss timeout byt still fails. Don't know what to do now! Thanks.

HI @glanc

Thanks for posting and sorry you are having issues with the backup process in Site Manager. We are aware of the issue and are currently working on a fix for release. This should be available shortly but cannot confirm ETA at this time.

Kind regards​​​​​
By glanc - 22 January 2019 4:57 PM

Hello,

deleting the registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{533c5b84-ec70-11d2-9505-00c04f79deaf}\UpperFilters" from all the affected PC fixed the issue. Thanks.
By glanc - 22 January 2019 5:02 PM

Now I've another issue with a Windows Server 2003 Standard tha is failing with this error:

itializing
Validating location:    \\192.168.0.251\macrium\GESTSRV\{FCCABD73-8267-4BAD-ACF6-ACE8535BDEE5}\ - Invalid (Accesso negato.)
    Backup aborted! - None of the specified backup locations could be written to

I've attached the LastBackupXML.log
By Alex - 28 January 2019 9:48 AM

glanc - 22 January 2019 5:02 PM
Now I've another issue with a Windows Server 2003 Standard tha is failing with this error:

itializing
Validating location:    \\192.168.0.251\macrium\GESTSRV\{FCCABD73-8267-4BAD-ACF6-ACE8535BDEE5}\ - Invalid (Accesso negato.)

Hi,
Unfortunately it looks like you've encountered a second issue that was being hidden by the VSS issue. The latest version of the Site Manager agent creates a log called AgentNetwork.log which contains detailed information on the error accessing the share.

Unfortunately I can't read the attached LastBackupXml.log, so I can't see what sort of credentials you have set on your share, but in some situations this error can be caused by either missing the domain from the repository credentials or using the older style DOMAIN naming rather than the newer style DNS domain.local naming.

If you continue to have issues, our support team should be able to help if you open a support case!

Regards,
Alex Stevenson
Macrium Software
By glanc - 28 January 2019 9:55 AM

Alex - 28 January 2019 9:48 AM

itializing

Hi,
Unfortunately it looks like you've encountered a second issue that was being hidden by the VSS issue. The latest version of the Site Manager agent creates a log called AgentNetwork.log which contains detailed information on the error accessing the share.

Unfortunately I can't read the attached LastBackupXml.log, so I can't see what sort of credentials you have set on your share, but in some situations this error can be caused by either missing the domain from the repository credentials or using the older style DOMAIN naming rather than the newer style DNS domain.local naming.

If you continue to have issues, our support team should be able to help if you open a support case!

Regards,
Alex Stevenson
Macrium Software

Hello,
filling the DOMAIN field with the hostname of the QNAP solved the problem.
By Alex - 28 January 2019 9:58 AM

glanc - 28 January 2019 9:55 AM
Alex - 28 January 2019 9:48 AM

itializing

Hi,

Regards,
Alex Stevenson
Macrium Software

Hello,
filling the DOMAIN field with the hostname of the QNAP solved the problem.

Hi,

That's good news. We're currently investigating what the root cause of these issues is and hope to have a fix soon, but it's good that you have a workaround and are up and running again.

Regards,
Alex Stevenson
Macrium Software