Macrium Support Forum

Appending Differential backups to single file

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic15110.aspx

By smoothchat - 21 June 2017 2:07 AM

I create a full backup using a unique name.
Subsequent differential backups create additional numbered files
ie:  If I have a full backup and 6 differentials, I wind up with 7 separate files in my backups folder.

Is it possible to have the differential and Incremental backups "appended" to the original full backup ?  So I would only have a single file?  This would make my backups folder more readable.

By jphughan - 21 June 2017 5:17 AM

Not to my knowledge.  Each backup creates its own file and the default numbering convention is supposed to ensure that backups of a given set are always grouped together and in the correct sequence.  That also makes it much easier to tell how many distinct backups you have in your set, whereas with a single file you wouldn't be able to tell if you only had 1 backup or 12 in there.
By smoothchat - 21 June 2017 7:19 AM

Maybe defining a unique folder for each backup set will provide most of what I'm looking for.  At the moment, using the same folder for all the backup sets is a bit messy.
By Arvy - 21 June 2017 10:49 AM

Good thinking.  If you want to know more about Reflect's management of backup sets with numeric filename suffixes et cetera, see this KB article.
By jphughan - 21 June 2017 1:56 PM

smoothchat - 21 June 2017 7:19 AM
aybe defining a unique folder for each backup set will provide most of what I'm looking for.  At the moment, using the same folder for all the backup sets is a bit messy.

Yes, that's what I do. A folder for Reflect backups with one subfolder per definition file. However, I don't separate different sets generated by the same definition file because there isn't a way to configure that on scheduled backups (at least not without using scripts to my knowledge) and also because I'm using Incrementals Forever, so I only have one set in the first place.