...more on REDEPLOY

Author
Diazruanova
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Drac144 - 21 November 2016 9:00 PM
Thanks for the update.  You should buy a lottery ticket - you seem to be very lucky! Tongue
Apparently your old CPU drivers were close enough to the new ones that they worked well enough for the system to run and take care of the update. 

Well, not that close, because the CPU was launched in Sept - 2009,  the H55 Chipset  in Jan 2010 and I bought the PC in Jun 2010 so just make the numbers (6+ yrs), but talking about numbers, you´ll have to excuse me because I have to run, I´m in a hurry to buy a lottery ticket  Wink

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
Thanks for the update.  You should buy a lottery ticket - you seem to be very lucky! Tongue
Apparently your old CPU drivers were close enough to the new ones that they worked well enough for the system to run and take care of the update. 

Drac,  I don't think that's the case.  When BOOTing Windows and its sees new hardware, it'll first go through its resident "known" drivers to see if it has a match.  W7 had a dirth of resident drivers, W8+ was a little better but W10 contains a ton of resident drivers that most likely contained what the OP needed for his new rig.
Diazruanova
Diazruanova
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
Froggie - 22 November 2016 12:49 AM

Drac,  I don't think that's the case.  When BOOTing Windows and its sees new hardware, it'll first go through its resident "known" drivers to see if it has a match.  W7 had a dirth of resident drivers, W8+ was a little better but W10 contains a ton of resident drivers that most likely contained what the OP needed for his new rig.

I agree, in fact before doing the MoBo swap I did a little reading on the net and I found some users on various forums that got good results with Win 10  by just making the hardware change without changing drivers or redeploying (some of them simply UN-installed SATA-AHCI Intel drivers before), but nonetheless, I prepared my self for the worst scenario, fortunately the process was painless, but not so re-activating Windows 10 which turned out to be a torture: it was a long and very complicated live chat with an Indian Microsoft on line technician (he/she did not even understand very well English) who "took remote control of my computer" messing with my OS installation to the point that I had to restore a previously created image!!!  ...he (or she), ruined my windows installation to the point, that after a couple of hours, he gave up and wanted me, to install Windows 10 from scratch defying completely my original intention to keep everything UNTOUCHED  (the only reason for me, to use Macrium redeploy).

After I finished the chat, sweating in terror just by the idea of reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch and reinstalling ALL my programs, I restored the most recent Macrium image (with all the new drivers already in place) and I tried to figure out by myself how to re-activate my Windows copy.

Originally I upgraded for free from a Windows 7 Home installation which I bought from a retail computer store in its box, so I copied and pasted the original windows 7 key into the Update & Security>Activation>Change Product Key option and voila, it got activated instantly.

Greetings.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)Expert (812 reputation)
So if Windows will automatically handle the updating of CPU drivers, and that is what Redeploy does, then what is the advantage of having Redeploy?  While it is free in V6 we had to pay for it in V5.  Also, many people who updated hardware could not get their system working until they did Redeploy so it must have some functionality that Windows doesn't.  Confusing.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)Expert (817 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
My limited understanding of Redploy is that it primarily provides workable mass-storage drives and maybe some video driver that will get any system booted up. Once running the proper and missing drivers can be loaded. I don't know the relative timeline between the end of MR V5 and W10 if W10 is much improved in fixing up wrong drivers on boot. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search