File & folder exclusions from disk imaging

Author
BlackCat
Talented Member
Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'd like to see the ability to exclude files and folders from a disk image (and maybe clone) as per Acronis TrueImage, please.
I have some large scratch VMs on my PCs that I have copies of elsewhere and I don't need to dedicate the disk space or time to including them in disk images.
Sorry to keep making comparisions with TrueImage but it's what I was using before moving to Reflect and I miss a few of its features.
Thanks, BlackCat

Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi BlackCat,

Thanks for posting.

A feature request for this has already been logged, I have updated it to express additional interest in the feature.

Kind Regards

Stephen

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

BlackCat
BlackCat
Talented Member
Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)
Hi Stephen.
Thanks for your quick reply and the very encouraging news. Smile
Regards, BlackCat

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.4K reputation)
I'd also like something along these lines.  I've requested before that TEMP/TEMPDIR be excluded from images because they're just temporary files and could add up quickly for things you don't really need.  So, my being able to exclude folder names, I could add TEMP/TEMPDIR manually.

CoolRaoul
CoolRaoul
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Stephen - 9 November 2016 9:36 AM
A feature request for this has already been logged, I have updated it to express additional interest in the feature.
Ils there a way to "upvote" on individual feature requests? That would allow customers to participate in prioritization of new features (BTW I'm too would really enjoy being able to exclude files/or folders in image backups.using patterns 
Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.2K reputation)
Hello 

I have more information which I hope helps explain excluding files/folder a little better.

There is a Microsoft 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' that will remove files from a snapshot, but it won't do this reliably. The problem is that the time allowed for the snapshot creation is critical and if files cannot be deleted in time during the post-snapshot phase then they will not be removed and the snapshot may fail.

Disk imaging is a volume level process and we feel that removing files from an image isn't an appropriate operation due to the potential of a failed backup. We like reliability overall .

If you wish to use the optimization writer then you can do so by editing a registry entry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage

If this entry doesn't exist then create a new 'Multi-String' value and enter the paths of the files you want to exclude.

Note: This is not supported by us and you must be running Vista or Server 2008 and above.

If you would like to let the developers know which features are important to you then please create a poll. I cannot guarantee this will make a feature appear in newer version of Reflect however it will show us what you are most interested in.

Kind Regards

Stephen

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

CoolRaoul
CoolRaoul
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
That's an interesting workaround, thanks for the information.
Unfortunately it doesn't fully respond to the request since it is a *global* exclusion.
What would be really useful would be a per backup job exclusion list.

Side question: do you know if the "FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage" registry key values supports wildcards?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Hi 

Side question: do you know if the "FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage" registry key values supports wildcards? 

The reg entry 'FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage' can be treated exactly the same as the MS key 'FilesNotToSnapshot'. See below:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa819132(v=vs.85).aspx

All entries underneath the key are enumerated, so when adding your own, create a new REG_MUTI_SZ value and give it any name you like.

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Edited 6 February 2017 12:42 PM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...