Image Name

Author
Ch3vr0n
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just bought home after using free version for a while. Considering software like this can be considered vital to a system i bit the bullet. Even found a 10% off coupon to sweeten it just a little. Now my question relates to the image name. Is there a way to setup some sort of filename template beyond {imageid}. Ideally i'd like to use something like {ImageID}-Win10.{WinVer}-{WinBuild}-{BackupDate}. Which would result in something like (at the time of posting this {imageID}-Win10.1607-14393.51-16.09.2016. Is this possible

Also, what's the recommended backup schedule for a newbie to stuff like this. I never really did it with vista/7 (never used 8), but now that 10 changed it's "business" model to major service packs on a regular basis i want to make sure. 1 master and then monthly incrementals?

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
If you browse the "Wish List" section here, you'll find numerous requests similar to yours for the ability to include {datetime} and other such parameters in Reflect's naming of its backup files.  To date, Macrium has not implemented any such change.  Their reasons appear to be related to the avoidance of "naming collisions" and to the way in which filenames and appended numeric suffixes are currently used for managing retention and other aspects of backup plans.  (See this KB article for details.)  One alternative that has been suggested in the past is to use your own destination folder naming to help in distinguishing amongst multiple backup task definitions combined with Reflect's logs in the user interface and its shell extensions in Windows Explorer.  The latter can be enabled as explained in this KB article.

As for backup plan recommendations for a "newbie", you'll get as many different opinions about that as there are people with opinions.  I'll simply suggest that you start by looking at the available plan templates in the Reflect user interface and select one of them that seems closest to your own needs.  You can always modify the scheduling, retention and other parameters later once you've tried the defaults and discovered for yourself exactly what does and doesn't satisfy those needs completely.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 16 September 2016 1:18 PM by Arvy
et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)

Hi

To add to Arvy's reply on File Names, you can add some text without spaces in-front of the {IMAGEID} which you normally see for the file name when creating a backup definition.

You will need to remove the tick against ‘Use the Image ID as file name (recommended)’ in the Destination part of dialog when creating a backup definition or when right clicking on Backup definition and select ‘Edit’, as in picture below. Then add your file name text without spaces finishing with a dash - followed by a single space and then {IMAGEID}. All backups in the backup set starting with the Full backup will use this new file name. If you change the file name by right clicking the backup definition and select 'Edit' any file name changes will not be actioned until you next run a Full backup. When you run the next Full the {IMAGEID} will change as normal to start a new backup set..

For an example file name of one full, followed by an incremental:

20Sept_JohnsPC_Win10- E8FDB2DFC3978B13-00-00.mrimg
20Sept_JohnsPC_Win10- E8FDB2DFC3978B13-01-01.mrimg

Note that under_scores are treated as another character so can be used to separate different aspects of the file name.

Hope this will be of interest

Regards, et
http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/aa23eb51-291c-4359-9dcc-511d.jpg

Edited 30 October 2016 5:38 PM by et_and_family
Al Nonymous
Al Nonymous
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
Richard V. - 16 September 2016 1:09 PM
If you browse the "Wish List" section here, you'll find numerous requests similar to yours for the ability to include {datetime} and other such parameters in Reflect's naming of its backup files.  To date, Macrium has not implemented any such change. (...)  One alternative that has been suggested in the past is to use your own destination folder naming to help in distinguishing amongst multiple backup task definitions combined with Reflect's logs in the user interface and its shell extensions in Windows Explorer.  The latter can be enabled as explained in this KB article.

Richard,
I  tried the KB link you kindly provided, above:  "The latter can be enabled as explained in..." 
With great expectations, I added the two Windows Explorer columns "Backup Method" and "Backup Comment". 
The two new columns appeared! 
But alas, neither Windows Explorer nor File Properties provides any data entry field where those comments can be typed.
Ii wonder why it works for you, and not for me.

Al Nonymous
Al Nonymous
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
et_and_family - 20 September 2016 10:02 PM

Hi

To add to Arvy's reply on File Names, you can add some text without spaces in-front of the {IMAGEID} which you normally see for the file name when creating a backup definition.

You will need to remove the tick against ‘Use the Image ID as file name (recommended)’ in the Destination part of dialog when creating a backup definition or when right clicking on Backup definition and select ‘Edit’, as in picture below. Then add your file name text without spaces finishing with a dash - followed by a single space and then {IMAGEID}. All backups in the backup set starting with the Full backup will use this new file name. If you change the file name by right clicking the backup definition and select 'Edit' any file name changes will not be actioned until you next run a Full backup. When you run the next Full the {IMAGEID} will change as normal to start a new backup set..

For an example file name of one full, followed by an incremental:

20Sept_JohnsPC_Win10- E8FDB2DFC3978B13-00-00.mrimg
20Sept_JohnsPC_Win10- E8FDB2DFC3978B13-01-01.mrimg

Note that under_scores are treated as another character so can be used to separate different aspects of the file name.

Hope this will be of interest

Regards, et
http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/aa23eb51-291c-4359-9dcc-511d.jpg

Wow, this looks promising! But more info is needed before I dare try this. In my case I've got three sets of backups.
Name                                            Date                              Type                               Size
8FFF24370922F41C-00-00.mrimg    12/14/2019 1:47 PM        Disk Partition Image        226,605,812 KB
20C79A5011A52C21-00-00.mrimg    8/3/2019 12:05 PM        Disk Partition Image        234,741,059 KB
20C79A5011A52C21-01-01.mrimg    8/9/2019 12:03 PM        Disk Partition Image        9,648,018 KB
AC648C2671BCD735-00-00.mrimg    9/4/2019 11:53 AM        Disk Partition Image        227,614,875 KB
AC648C2671BCD735-01-01.mrimg    9/13/2019 8:20 PM        Disk Partition Image        26,262,378 KB
AC648C2671BCD735-02-02.mrimg    9/27/2019 12:43 PM        Disk Partition Image        19,442,756 KB
AC648C2671BCD735-03-03.mrimg    10/12/2019 9:52 AM        Disk Partition Image        19,618,178 KB
AC648C2671BCD735-04-04.mrimg    10/16/2019 1:29 PM        Disk Partition Image        5,967,487 KB
AC648C2671BCD735-05-05.mrimg    10/27/2019 10:25 AM    Disk Partition Image        12,933,366 KB

In the above list, the top "8F" item is a Windows 10 full backup.
The next two "20C" items are an early full plus one incremental (or differential?) backup, done when I was still using Windows 7.
The first "AC" item appears to be a later full Windows 7 backup, and the rest of the "AC" items look like they must be incrementals within that set.

Your tempting suggestion to add descriptive text ahead of {IMAGEID} is interesting, but since all these backups were done at different times from the same backup definition, making changes now is concerning....Will the changes affect just the most recent Win10 backup, or cascade through all 3 backups, potentially mis-naming some of them? Experimenting is kind of out of the question since these are very large backup sets... I can't back them up somewhere for safekeeping while I play around to see what happens if I twiddle the file names.

et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)Proficient Member (358 reputation)
Note, if you add text in front of the Image ID the same text will apply to all backups in the backup set including the full backup and all incrementals and differentials. For more on what a backup set is see tutorial  https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/How+backup+sets+are+created+and+maintained You can only change the text for a new backup set.

Hope this helps
Edited 12 January 2020 7:46 PM by et_and_family
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
@et_and_family just fyi you resurrected a thread that was over 3 years old here

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search