vss error 0x8004230f

Author
Fergus
Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Yesterday morning all Macrium backups were working
I updated to 6.2.1502  and also installed some WD utilities to check a My Book external drive
No problems were encountered
Later in the day I rebooted
After that any backups that are copying from a  FAT32  drive get vss error 0x8004230f - tested with different external drive targets - all fail
I uninstalled all the WD utilities - and rebooted - no change
I am able to backup a FAT32 drive using Acronis

Fergus
Fergus
Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)
Well after several hours last night and this morning with all backups with FAT32 partitions failing - at some point this afternoon they started working again. No idea why.

Billy
Billy
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
I have the same problem; VSS Error: 0x8004230F  Unexpected provider error.  No scheduled backups work ie neither full nor incremental.  Tried a new full backup; same result, same error message.

I realized the problem started the day I changed my MS login to 2-factor and set up a recovery code.  I had not installed any software.

I went to http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/VSS+Error:+0x8004230F and found there was no extra registry key and the existing key is correct.  I followed http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50031.aspx inclding downloading the VSSfix. - All to no avail.

I have no idea what to do.

Could I install a backup run the day before the problems started?   Actually 10/29/2016, though it may have been corrupted by the failed incremental .
Drac144
Drac144
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Be sure that the VSS service is running - check in your services for "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" and if it is not running, start it.  If it is running you may want to try restarting it.  Then try the backup again. Doing a reboot should also restart the service, but verify it is running after a reboot but before starting a backup.

Billy
Billy
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
OK Drac144, MS Shadow Copy Provider was not running and after I started it I still got the same backup failure.  I rebooted and rechecked MSSCP.  Again it was not running.  I restarted it and changed start-up from manual to automatic and tried a backup - it failed.  I rebooted and found MSSCP did start automatically but the backup again failed.

I rechecked the registry and b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5 was where it should be and there were no extra entries under VSS\Providers.

I had a last try at backing up - same error.

Of course this is very serious as I can't backup, probably even with other software.  What a mess.

Your suggestion about MSSCP was correct, but alas it didn't solve the problem.

Can you think of anything else I could try?

Drac144
Drac144
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
As a temporary solution you can boot from the rescue disk (assuming you have created one) and Do the backup from there.  It does NOT require VSS. 
Check the article in the link below.  It will allow you to see which drives have VSS enabled and to adjust the amount of space it uses.  Your error could be due to not enough space available. 

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/33460-system-protection-max-storage-size-drive-change-windows-10-a.html

I only have VSS enabled for drive C but I do not use my computer while backing up.  If you do, you may want to enable VSS on other drives (if you have more than a C drive).

Billy
Billy
Drac144, Thanks,  I do have a Macrium rescue disk.  In fact I can start up from Macrium when I boot up w/o a disc. (I have a choice of W10 or Macrium) But I don't understand how to backup from a startup disc.

I have 2 disks (HDs) C has all the software and D has all the data.  I have 24GB of RAM

Frankly I'm lost here.

I tried backing uo with EasUS Todo - no luck.
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
Billy, the Reflect RECOVERY MEDIA, when successfully BOOTed from, presents a minimalist Reflect interface (similar to the LIVE interface)... BACKUP, RESTORE, and other TABS. When you select the BACKUP TAB, it presents you with all your disks that Reflect can image... most likely pre-CHECKed for selection. IN all cases there will be a CheckBox under each disk icon, and if your disk has multiple volumes (partitions) on them, a CheckBox will be available for each separate partition.

unCHECK everything and CHECK only the disk/partitions you wish to backup. If you wish to backup the whole disk, just check the Disk's CheckBox. If you only want to image a separate partition or two, just CHECK only the partition CheckBoxes you wish to image. Then in the LeftHand PANE, <click> on "Image selected disks on this computer."

An Imaging wizard will open up showing you the disk/partition selections you have made and asks you to define the FOLDER you would like the image placed in and what name you would like to call it (I usually unCHECK the "Use the imageID" option and type in my own FileName in the Backup field... easier for me to remember), then <click> on NEXT.

The next screen allows you to review your chosen imaging operation, and if OK, select "Finish."

Off you go...

Billy
Billy
Froggy (and Drac), I booted into Macrium and did a full backup successfully.  I then tried an incremental on the latest incremental on the computer.  Oops I got "an uncorrectable error whea".  I restarted into W10 and my new BU is there.  I am now running "verify image" on my last series of BUs i.e. NOT the one I made today.

Thanks very much.  I realize this is not a permanent solution.
piran
piran
Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)Junior Member (75 reputation)
The v6 to v7 transition was marred on my Microsoft Surface Book (laptop) as images always failed - as per this thread's subject line. Yes, I put the referenced service to auto (found stopped) and rebooted to no avail. After a support call it appears that what I should have known about (how?) and what I necessarily needed to do was to go to the 'Other Tasks' area of Macrium Reflect v7 and invoke the 'Fix VSS problems' functionality. Yes, blindingly obvious... Nevertheless it did the job and I was allowed to run an image backup without it failing. This posting is merely for reference for like-afflicted others and contains enough search terms for people like me to appropriately find in the Knowledge Base. I say in advance I can offer no further support to those who might need any, you should contact the usual suspects:-)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search