Do I need to clone ALL these partitions?

Author
ruzicka
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey folks!  Hope someone can help me here.
I want to clone my primary 1TB boot (CSmile drive onto a new 1TB SSD.  When I start up Reflect, it shows my C: drive to have a LOT of partitions that I know nothing about:
1 - Recovery (None) NTFS Primary - 75.2MB/300.0MB
2 - NO NAME (None) FAT32 (LBA) Primary - 33.0MB/99.0MB
3 - (None) Unformatted Primary - 128.0MB/128.0MB
4 - Main Drive C: NTFS Primary - 631.36MB/929.87MB
5 - (None) NTFS Primary - 355.7MB/450.0MB
6 - (None) NTFS Primary - 299.8MB/350.0MB
7 - (None) NTFS Primary - 297.7MB/350.0MB
I know I need the 4th partition (Main Drive CSmile, but do I need any/all of the others?  If there are some I can omit, I'd love to save the space.
I've never done a clone before and don't want to mess this up!

Clinton Wright
Clinton Wright
Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)
if you want a booting OS you will clone the entire disk all the partitions, it appears you have upgraded OS and have a couple of extra recovery partition however unless you know exactly which ones I would clone them all and sort them out later.
ruzicka
ruzicka
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Thanks!
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)Expert (967 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
All of the non-C partitions only add up to 1.7GB. Your C drive size for a 1TB drive is actually 929.87GB not MB. The actual lost space is very small.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
As Clintgm points out, recent Windows version upgrades add their own recovery partitions if they can rather than replacing the existing WinRE partition and, as seekforever says, they're relatively minor additions.  On the other hand, despite their relatively small size, it should also be noted that recent Windows versions, especially Windows 10, are increasingly reliant on their recovery partitions being available for certain functions that are included in the primary OS user interface.

That's one of the reasons why I always recommend imaging or cloning the entire drive and why I have frequently questioned Reflect's exclusionary implementation of a backup option that will include nothing but partitions required for normal booting of the Windows OS itself, even if the user selects others on that same UI screen as well.  To me, that seems contrary to Macrium's own good intentions.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 30 July 2016 3:34 PM by Arvy
ang
ang
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Clinton Wright - 27 July 2016 8:33 PM
if you want a booting OS you will clone the entire disk all the partitions, it appears you have upgraded OS and have a couple of extra recovery partition however unless you know exactly which ones I would clone them all and sort them out later.

Hi, i have the following:
1- ESP (none) fat32 (lba) primary 85.7 mb / 680.0 mb;
2- (non) unformatted primary 128 mb / 128 mb;
3 - os (cSmile NTFS Primary 317.49 gb / 936.02 gb;
4 - WINRETOOLS (none) NTFS Primary 419.3 mb / 990.0 mb;
5 - image (non) NTFS Primary 14.71 gb / 14.87 gb;
6 - DELLSUPPORT (non) NTFS Primary 759.5 mb 1.22 gb;

which do i need to image? do i select all? are these overlapping, for example the dellsupport ntfs primary? thank you again!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
You definitely want the first 4.  The image partition is a factory image restore partition.  If you want to be able to return your system to its out-of-box state, you should keep that.  If you'd be comfortable performing a clean install manually if ever needed, then you can skip that. The Dell Support partition I believe has some diagnostic and remote access tools to allow Dell Support to work with your system even if Windows is unbootable, but I'm not 100% sure on that since I've never had a reason to call them for that type of assistance.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search