Still blue screen when trying to boot most virtual machines

Author
PoorlyPCNigel
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just updated to the latest viBoot 6.1.1443 and have gone through and created virtual machines for some of my test Reflect images.

Almost all of them still start to boot ( eg Starting Windows appears) and then blue screen with no way to actually capture the message, which has pretty much always been the behaviour in viBoot.

When creating the images are there any non-default settings that need to be made to make them compatible with viBoot ?

Does viBoot create logs anywhere as it starts virtual machines, so I can see what the error might be ?

Is there anything I need to do differently the first time I run up the VM to allow it to correctly populate with drivers ?

So much promise, but still pretty unusable and certainly not to be relied on in the current version.

Thanks - Nige
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Nige,

Thanks for your post and sorry that you are experiencing issues with Macrium viBoot.

Where is the blue-screen appearing - is it inside the virtual machine or is the host PC blue-screening?

If it's inside the virtual machine, you can press the "print screen" key to capture the screen to the Windows clipboard. You can then paste it directly into a reply here. Please could you do this so that we may see what information it displays?

If its the host PC that is blue-screening, there will be a .dmp file in the C:Windows\Minidump folder with a filename that matches the date and time of the crash. If you could send us this file it will tell us why it blue screened.

To answer your questions...

Q. When creating the images are there any non-default settings that need to be made to make them compatible with viBoot?
A. No.

Q. Does viBoot create logs anywhere as it starts virtual machines, so I can see what the error might be ?
A. viBoot does create logs. They are stored in the folder shown in the "Options" dialog box. Unfortunately, once control has been transferred to Hyper-V, there is no information available to viBoot for it to log, until the virtual machine has fully started.

Q. Is there anything I need to do differently the first time I run up the VM to allow it to correctly populate with drivers ?
A. No - it should just work.

Kind Reagrds,
Jamie

Kind Regards

Jamie

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

PoorlyPCNigel
PoorlyPCNigel
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Hi Jamie.

Thanks for the reply.

It is always the virtual machines that blue screen, the host machine is fine.

The blue screen appears for around half a second so trying to capture with print screen is tricky and looking at the result pretty useless, although the strange hatching bottom right might indicate incorrect graphics driver issues ?

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/cf2fba36-8b4e-4390-9da3-f83e.png

And I have just double checked the image by restoring it to the original machine - all good.

I have also attached the actual graphics file.

Nige
Attachments
Untitled.png (4 views, 14.00 KB)
PoorlyPCNigel
PoorlyPCNigel
Oooo this blue screen has a STOP code.
Attachments
Untitled2.png (2 views, 26.00 KB)
Mike A
Mike A
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)
Hi Nige,

I've got a couple of questions that might help determine what the problem is:

What OS and version is the host PC running, 32bit or 64bit, is it an Insider build, how much RAM and free space do you have on C drive?
    And what OS and version is  the guest?

Is it possible within the VM to boot into recovery mode to select a different startup option?

Thanks,

Mike.
Mike A
Mike A
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)
Also, could you post any logs that by default are in the following location:

%localappdata%\Temp\Macrium\viBoot

PoorlyPCNigel
PoorlyPCNigel
The host PC is Win10 x64 10586.494 public build. 16GB RAM, C: drive (SSD) has 43GB free but the image file is on my D: drive HDD which has 603GB free. Do I need to change my viBoot virtual machine repository to the D: drive as well ?

Guest machine is Win7 Home Premium x64. I have set the VM to use 4096MB RAM ( normally works fine for all my other Hyper-V machines ) and it is set to use the virtual network switch.

I get a "launch startup repair" option in the boot loader, tried this, attempts repairs for a long time, then drops me into an HP Recovery Manager ( the manufacturer of the guest PC ).

Not sure how to get a VM to start in recovery mode.

Nige
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Nige,

So that we can request further information about your computer please follow this link and submit a ticket

http://www.macrium.com/support.aspx#tickets

Kind Regards,
Jamie

Kind Regards

Jamie

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

PoorlyPCNigel
PoorlyPCNigel
Done - looks like ticket ref is #759.
jonnywilliamson
jonnywilliamson
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Having the exact same issue here:

I'm running on Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, 16GB ram, 250GB free hard disk space

Trying to run a windows 7 pro 64bit macrium image from a laptop backup. It's only about 100GB image file. Can't get past this blue screen.

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/1ec4f530-a486-43c0-a5cf-210b.png
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search