New user and no luck with viBoot

Author
BlackCat
Talented Member
Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Forum!  Newbie user here, migrating over from Acronis Smile  and very impressed with MR so far.
I've been trying out viBoot for fun and have had no success on two W10 Pro PCs.  C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot\wmiboot.txt shows this:

Mounting image file 1 of 1...
Scanning disks...
Setting disk online...
Processing volume 1 of 3...
Assigning mount point...
Injecting device drivers...
Removing mount point...
Processing volume 2 of 3...
Assigning mount point...
Injecting device drivers...

and then viBoot hangs.  C:\viBoot.log looks ok until this:

10/07/16 18:17:06 RegImport.cpp(133): Deleting key MacriumImageBoot\ControlSet001\Services\pciide
10/07/16 18:17:06 RegImport.cpp(254): Deleting key MacriumImageBoot\ControlSet001\Services\viaide
10/07/16 18:17:06 RegImport.cpp(90): Deleting key MacriumImageBoot\ControlSet001\Services\viaide
10/07/16 18:17:06 RegImport.cpp(263): RegDeleteKey(MacriumImageBoot\ControlSet001\Services\viaide) failed with error 2
10/07/16 18:17:06 VirtualDeploy.cpp(469): Updating CrashDump...

I then can't cancel out of viBoot and both PCs hang while shutting down.  After powering off I have to delete manually the contents of C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot\.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Apologies if you've already seen this post in "Features" - I had problems finding "viBoot Feeback" yesterday.
Thanks, BlackCat
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi BlackCat,

Thank you for your post. Sorry that you are experiencing problems with Macrium viBoot.

It has been a while since we last updated viBoot, but we have implemented many bug fixes / improvements and we are due to release a new version in the coming days.

The best solution would be to wait for the update and try then. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kind Regards,

Jamie Wardhaugh
Macrium Support

Kind Regards

Jamie

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

BlackCat
BlackCat
Talented Member
Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)Talented Member (118 reputation)
Thanks for the update, JamieW, I'll keep an eye open for the new version. 
I've no particular need for it but (a) it looks very interesting, (b) it seems like a decent way to test the viability of a backup image and (c) I really need an excuse for having Hyper-V on my PC.
Regards, BlackCat
BlackCat
BlackCat
Talented Member
I had some problems today but also plenty of success with the latest release of viBoot. 

I installed it first on an 8GB W10 Pro 64-bit and it caused a bit of a mess.  First time round I had an external USB3 disk attached (drive "M:") during the installation.  After installing the latest version of viBoot over the exisitng one, when I ran viBoot it appeared in my task tray and, on double clicking it, I was asked for permission to install a Macrium software device,  The viBoot application then appeared on my task bar but didn't open as a window.  Hovering over the taskbar icon displayed a preview of the viBoot window but it was impossible to get into it and it never appeared as a window on the desktop. There was no change after a reboot so I decided to uninstall it, at which point it came up with "invalid drive M:" and wouldn't uninstall.  I decided it was a good time to practise recovery using the backup image I took before playing with the new viBoot.  After a very easy ride with the recovery process, I uninstalled the old viBoot, made sure the USB 3 disk wasn't attached and installed the new viBoot from scratch. Same result - no viBoot window.  But now when uninstalling viBoot it would now crash the PC with an error in mrscsi.sys.  Restored from backup again (btw, the delta image restore is fabulous!).

A little disappointed, I tried the new viBoot on another W10 Pro 64-bit PC, 12GB (which didn't work with the old version) and that now works very well indeed. I also tested the new version on a lab W2012 server (which DID work with the old version) and that, too, works well.

It's all looking good. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can try to fix the first W10 Pro PC I'd be very happy to hear from you.

BlackCat
BlackCat
Talented Member
Installed the latest version and viBoot is working fine on my W10 PCs now.  Thanks very much for the update. :-)

BlackCat
BlackCat
Talented Member
For info, the problem with the viBoot window failing to open on one of my W10 PCs turned out to be due to it opening "off screen" for some reason.  Rebooting didn't help.  Shift-right-clicking on the viBoot taskbar icon, followed by "Maximise" (there was no "Restore" option) brought it back on screen but there was still no option to set the size to anything other than maximum or minimum.  Once the viBoot window had been brought back on screen, a reboot set things back to normal and since then the problem has completely gone away.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search