Rescue Drive Hangs Loading Reflect Application

Author
grandyh
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm hoping someone can figure this out.  I have tried everything and after the rescue stick successfully boots, the reflect application stops loading and eventually Windows blue screens.

The reflect application hangs with the following message:

drvload.exe "x:\drivers\disk\VEN_8086_DEV_9A0B\iaStorVD.inf"

Once this message appears it stays in the splash screen for about a minute with the scrollbar moving until the blue screen appears with the message:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Nowhere on the machine or the recovery stick can I find drvload.exe.  I've tried multiple USB sticks formatted to FAT32, using RE or PE 11 or PE10, turning on/off all the WIM creation options.  The stick contains the iaStorVD.inf file.

I don't know what else to try but the behavior is always the same.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
DrvLoad is probably inside the boot.wim file on the Rescue Media. That WIM file is an image that gets extracted into a RAM-hosted virtual disk when you boot from Rescue Media. The extracted contents are what you see in the Rescue environment as your X drive. That contains the Windows PE/RE environment and the Reflect application itself, among other things. It also contains a copy of the Drivers folder that you see on the root of the Rescue Media, which is why you see the message about loading from the X drive. (There are some scenarios where drivers have to be present in the WIM file, but the Rescue Media root is also checked because that is a quick way to add drivers to support a new PC or additional hardware in a pinch.)

What version of Windows are you running on the system where you're creating the Rescue Media? If you didn't supply that Intel Rapid Storage driver to Rescue Media Builder yourself, then Rescue Media Builder would have copied it from your Windows environment. But if you're not using the same Windows kernel between the two, then that could be an issue. Updating that driver within Windows might also be helpful if you're willing to attempt that, since Rescue Media Builder would copy that newer driver into its build.

Edited 27 November 2023 8:26 PM by jphughan
grandyh
grandyh
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
jphughan - 27 November 2023 8:24 PM
DrvLoad is probably inside the boot.wim file on the Rescue Media. That WIM file is an image that gets extracted into a RAM-hosted virtual disk when you boot from Rescue Media. The extracted contents are what you see in the Rescue environment as your X drive. That contains the Windows PE/RE environment and the Reflect application itself, among other things. It also contains a copy of the Drivers folder that you see on the root of the Rescue Media, which is why you see the message about loading from the X drive. (There are some scenarios where drivers have to be present in the WIM file, but the Rescue Media root is also checked because that is a quick way to add drivers to support a new PC or additional hardware in a pinch.)

What version of Windows are you running on the system where you're creating the Rescue Media? If you didn't supply that Intel Rapid Storage driver to Rescue Media Builder yourself, then Rescue Media Builder would have copied it from your Windows environment. But if you're not using the same Windows kernel between the two, then that could be an issue. Updating that driver within Windows might also be helpful if you're willing to attempt that, since Rescue Media Builder would copy that newer driver into its build.

jphughan,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I am running 64 bit Windows 11 on a relatively new Dell laptop.  The rescue media was built on that machine and the image files are located on an external drive on that computer.  I am booting to the rescue drive on that same computer so I don't think there's an issue there.

I haven't supplied any other drivers manually to the rescue creation tool.  I don't really know how to supply the Intel Rapid Storage driver.  If you think that might help, can you please supply some instructions.

I did do a search of the entire C:\Windows directory looking for a copy of drvload.exe on the hard drive itself and it was not found.  Could that explain this behavior?  Thanks again.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
The DrvLoad application is part of the Rescue environment image that exists within the boot.wim file on your Rescue Media, and iaStor is the Intel Rapid Storage driver. The fact that DrvLoad isn't on your main system wouldn't be an issue since Rescue doesn't rely on your system having a working Windows environment in order to run, and the WinPE/RE files it uses for building Rescue Media are not derived from your system's Windows folder.

I suspect what's happening is that something is going sideways as a result of that driver loading. That is admittedly unexpected in your case, since normally in your case of using the same kernel version between your main Windows environment and your Rescue environment, the drivers from the former will work perfectly fine when copied over for use in the latter.

And consequently, you shouldn't need to supply any drivers manually. But since things aren't working as expected in your case, I thought that updating your Rapid Storage driver within Windows, which will then cause the updated driver to be baked into future Rescue Media builds, might be worth attempting. But if you wanted to supply a Rapid Storage driver manually to avoid altering your Windows environment, you would download the Intel Rapid Storage driver package for your system from the Dell Support site, choose to extract its contents to a folder rather than installing it on the system, and then go to Rescue Media Builder > Advanced > Devices and Drivers, select the Rapid Storage controller, and choose to supply your own driver, pointing it at the folder where you extracted the driver package.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search