Version 8.1.7662 UEFI Rescue Media Problem

Author
mdubin
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I received a prompt to update to the latest version. I did so and then without any hesitation updated both the pre-boot and DVD-RW rescue media. The problem is that in checking both, no existing backups appear. When I click on browse for backup image, I am able to locate it but it does not load. So there is no way I can do a restore at this moment.

Please check into this. Using rescue media always worked perfectly until now.

Thank you.

mdubin
mdubin
mdubin
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
mdubin - 22 November 2023 12:26 PM
Hi,
I received a prompt to update to the latest version. I did so and then without any hesitation updated both the pre-boot and DVD-RW rescue media. The problem is that in checking both, no existing backups appear. When I click on browse for backup image, I am able to locate it but it does not load. So there is no way I can do a restore at this moment.

Please check into this. Using rescue media always worked perfectly until now.

Thank you.

mdubin

After posting this, I went into the environment and did a restore of last night's backup. The PreOS rescue media was perfect, showing all my existing image backups. So the problem is definitely with the latest version. I will not do any upgrade until this recovery media problem is resolved and it shows all my existing image backups.
streetwolf
streetwolf
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
There is a problem as the OP has written. Both the new PE and RE recovery environemnets do not show a list of existing backups as all the previous recovery ISO's did.  In order to select a backup I have to use the option to select an image.  Once this is done it appears in a menu where I only did a Verify on it as a test. Whether I can do other functions is unknown at this time.  Luckily I always save my previous working version.

So yes, something has changed with this new release namely Existing Backups are no linger listed.

Opened ticket [#253440] Version 8.1.7662 UEFI Rescue Media Problem : Macrium Software

Edited 22 November 2023 4:13 PM by streetwolf
mdubin
mdubin
streetwolf - 22 November 2023 3:50 PM
There is a problem as the OP has written. Both the new PE and RE recovery environemnets do not show a list of existing backups as all the previous recovery ISO's did.  In order to select a backup I have to use the option to select an image.  Once this is done it appears in a menu where I only did a Verify on it as a test. Whether I can do other functions is unknown at this time.  Luckily I always save my previous working version.

So yes, something has changed with this new release namely Existing Backups are no linger listed.

Opened ticket [#253440] Version 8.1.7662 UEFI Rescue Media Problem : Macrium Software

Hi Streetwolf,

I tried browsing for an image. I was able to locate the folder but then nothing happened. Again, I was able to restore my system to the previous evening's image and everything is fine with 8.1.7675. I will stick with it until a fix is made. I would appreciate it if you would keep me informed. Also, how do I save a prior version. I am always prompted to update and the prior version is overwritten.
EDIT: I just realized that I think I made a typo. The version I was prompted to upgrade to this morning was 8.1.7762.
Thank you,
mdubin

Edited 22 November 2023 5:25 PM by mdubin
Pawel Orl
Pawel Orl
Talented Member
Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)
Hello
8.1.7762 Win Re 11
I also report errors:

1. When booting I have a frame about Macrium in English.
2.After starting it is in my Polish language
3.You need to manually select folders for copies and images
4.It does not automatically connect to the WiFi network even though I checked it when creating Win Re 11.
   You need to enter the password manually

Regards
Edited 22 November 2023 5:44 PM by Pawel Orl
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)Macrium Representative (600 reputation)
Group: Macrium Moderators
Thank you for reporting these issues.

We are investigating and will update you as soon as we have more information.

Kind Regards

Jamie

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Il Capo
Il Capo
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
HI all!
@JamieW

I made some tests with a rescue-media and had the same issue under some conditions:
Rescue Media build-up under Windows 10 with Windows 10 PE: issue appears!
Rescue Media build-up under Windows 10 with Windows 11 PE: issue does not appear!
I build-up my rescue-media with Windows PE, not RE.
Backup from within Macrium (WinRE) works anyway.

BTW, there is a minor issue, present since version 8 of MR:
in the pop-up window to connect a share there is twice the word "Passwort" instead User Name (1st row) and Password (2nd row); the input works.
I tried my last rescue version 7 too and this is OK.

Regards, Il Capo

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
Hi @JamieW
A few observations:
1) I installed MR8.1.7762 on Windows 11 23H2 22631.2715 this afternoon.
2) I rebuilt RM as WRBM with WinRE 11
3) Rebooted WRBM

• No errors while booting or loading.
  •   RM came up with an empty Existing Backup List (and nothing in the Folders list).
  •   I checked the network connection and nothing had connected automatically, so I manually connected to my usual WiFi.
  •   Attempted NET USE Z: \\hopi\hopi-huge using my MicrosoftAccount\xxxxx credentials to the repository share on another system. It errored with an indication that perhaps the user credentials were already in use for a connection to \\hopi.
  •   NET VIEW \\HOPI got system error 5, access denied.
  •   During the next 5 minutes (approximate), nothing I tried worked. I think the existing connections were taken down elsewhere on the network due to non-use. Wasn't there a switch that one could set in Reflect to cause it to disconnect sooner?
  •   Finally, Browse for a Backup allowed access using the same credentials. It allowed me to attach z: to the path \\hopi\hopi-huge.
  •   When I added that path (\\hopi\hopi-huge) to the Folder list, and refreshed the list of existing backups everything was there, and I have no reason to suspect that there would be any trouble accessing the backup image files.
So, what I think the problems boil down to: Reflect 7762 is not passing data to RM for the WiFi connection, and not passing the Folder LIst for Existing Backups, like it used to do. Once those are established, all the reported problems are resolved. If you'll pass on the path of the registry entry that is supposed to be there, I'll check it.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Edited 22 November 2023 9:53 PM by Dan Danz
Dypsis
Dypsis
Talented Member
Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)Talented Member (142 reputation)
There is something odd about the WinPE 11 rescue media for v8.1.7762.
I always make both WinRE and WinPE rescue media ISOs. The WinPE ISO has grown 150 MB larger in v8.1.7762 than in recent previous versions.
Is this an expected outcome for v8.1.7762 ?

Edited 22 November 2023 10:34 PM by Dypsis
BGregory
BGregory
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I Noticed this also.  No problem booting (other than it seemed to take longer),  or seeing my images.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search