Newbie question - imaging whole drive - "Backup may not include all required partitions"

Newbie question - imaging whole drive - "Backup may not include all...
Author
PeterL777
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I'm using Reflect 8 to image my entire boot drive (1Tb SSD) to a large spinning disk (8Tb)
I select "Create backups"> Create an image of the partition(s) required..." and select the drive. All partitions are ticked.
But I still get this "Backup may not include all required partitions" warning.
What am I missing or not understanding?
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Peter

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
You have an interesting disk layout there.  For instance, I don't see a WINRETOOLS partition anywhere there.  Is C: where you've installed Windows?  It's not immediately obvious.

If I had to hazard a guess, your setup is you have required partitions for your system on two different SSD's.  I'm not entirely sure the option to Create a backup of all partitions required to restore Windows will select partitions across multiple disks.

I'm also a tad concerned that I don't seem to see the MSR partition required for booting.

What version of Windows do you have installed that you're attempting to backup?  I notice all your disks are MBR, which is not impossible, but most modern setups are GPT.

Maybe a better question is to ask you what you have on each of the partitions where letters are assigned to them in that screenshot.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
My guess would be that the option you're using to achieve pre-selection in the wizard is intended to cover only partitions on a single disk, whereas you have boot-relevant partitions (indicated by the Windows logo) spread across multiple disks. It appears you have multiple disks that are self-contained, i.e. independently bootable. That setup is not what Windows itself would implement for a multi-boot setup. It would have a unified BCD and then just Windows partitions elsewhere, even if on other disks -- but those disks would then not necessarily be bootable on their own.

So it's possible that Reflect's option isn't handling this custom setup perfectly. But since you were able to achieve that custom setup, I would expect that you can manage backups as desired. Judging by your layout, as long as you're always backing up all partitions of a given disk, you'll be fine booting from that disk.

PeterL777
PeterL777
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thank you both for your helpful insights.

My main SSD is a Samsung Pro 980 NVMe, but it's been showing some worrying signs (read errors, performance drops). Even though only 1.5 years into its 5 year warranty. I've generally been very happy with Samsungs, but this one seems bad.
So I bought a SATA SSD of the same size, and used Macrium to clone it entirely. So it's a perfect option B to boot if the main SSD fails. I've tried swapping the boot to it via BIOS, and it works well. So that's "Disk 1" (Samsung 870 EVO).
"Disk 3" (Kingston) is the original SSD I had before I got the NVMe. I just left it in there 'cause I didn't have any where to put it. It's also bootable, although I don't use it for that, and should just wipe it and use in for storage.
My guess in jphughan is right, and Macrium is seeing all these boot drives and thinking they are not all being backed up.
Re dbminter's observation; yes, C: is the boot drive. I'm not familiar with WINRETOOLS, but is that a Dell specific partition? This is a Win10 Home install.
Doing a full backup as shown now; will test that backup on another machine.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
WinRETools is the Windows Recovery partition. You have one after the Windows partition on each of your three disks, even though it doesn’t have a “WinRETools” volume label. It’s a bootable partition that contains some tools that can help recover from an unbootable Windows environment, such as Command Prompt, System Restore, System Image Restore, Update Rollback, etc. Dell typically also includes separate partitions that contain a factory image and their SupportAssist remote assistance tools. I think they might name the WinRE partition “WinRETools”, but the partition content isn’t specific to them. It’s just the labeling.
Danskeman
Danskeman
Expert
Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)
There are multiple System Reserved Partitions and that could be the reason, as Macrium Reflect may not be able to tell if the others are needed as they are all marked  active boot partitions.

Edited 22 November 2023 10:48 AM by Danskeman
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search