Image Creation Failed error code 23

Author
mb300e4m
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Image creation of my Dell 7010 Drive 0 failed due to cyclic redundancy check. I checked the drive partitions using Properties\Tools. No faults were found. See images for drive partitions and error message.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
A Cyclical Redundancy Check CRC) error is a flagged by the disk hardware when it cannot properly read a cluster (sectors) and usually means that the the disk surface has been damaged.
It looks like it is on the C: partition.
Run chkdsk c: /f on the partition. If it finds bad sectors it will try to do a repair which usually means mapping in unused sectors and the data may be lost because it is unreadable.
If the /f option doesn't work, try /r but this will check the whole partition surface and can take a long time for big partitions.

mb300e4m
mb300e4m
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
Seekforever - 21 November 2023 5:03 PM
A Cyclical Redundancy Check CRC) error is a flagged by the disk hardware when it cannot properly read a cluster (sectors) and usually means that the the disk surface has been damaged.
It looks like it is on the C: partition.
Run chkdsk c: /f on the partition. If it finds bad sectors it will try to do a repair which usually means mapping in unused sectors and the data may be lost because it is unreadable.
If the /f option doesn't work, try /r but this will check the whole partition surface and can take a long time for big partitions.

Thanks I did use Properties\tools 'disc check' or whatever it is called, it found no faults, but I'll do a proper chkdsk c: /f from a dos window. That should run when the PC reboots if I remember correctly.
mb300e4m
mb300e4m
I did the chkdsk c: /f which ran when I restarted the PC. I am now trying the Macrium Image Creation again. Time will tell, hopefully all will be OK.
I'll post back.
mb300e4m
mb300e4m
mb300e4m - 21 November 2023 7:44 PM
I did the chkdsk c: /f which ran when I restarted the PC. I am now trying the Macrium Image Creation again. Time will tell, hopefully all will be OK.
I'll post back.

I tried the Image creation again and got the same result. Failure.
mb300e4m - 21 November 2023 7:44 PM
I'll post back.

It did the same thing at the same place, same error code. Hmmm...I'll try again but this time not including C drive. There are several partitions on this drive.
Edited 24 November 2023 11:51 PM by mb300e4m
Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Have you looked at the chkdsk results which IIRC are found in the WIndows Event Viewer. If not, see if it helps and also if there are any other disk error messages posted. I can never remember where to look for chkdsk results but if you don't know here is a site that tells you using the Event VIewer.
https://windowsreport.com/chkdsk-logs-windows-10/
Good idea to check all the partitions but it did look like it was in C.
If the error happened more than once at the same location then it does point to a hard-error on a bad disk cluster(s).
Reflect options will allow you to make an image ignoring bad sectors. but you will have lost some data but it may be lost anyway.
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Your error showed up while imaging your OS partition /C:/.  The only CheckDsk that has a prayer dealing with that error is chkdisk c: /r (not /f).  This will take a while since it'll be looking at every sector for the error, not just faulty FileStructure like /f does.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Oops, you are correct Froggie, I always used to always specify /R but thought that the R was to include sectors not referenced by the filesystem so I thought it would save some time to just use /F. However, it just wasted time. Sorry, mb300e4m.

mb300e4m
mb300e4m
Froggie - 21 November 2023 8:38 PM
Your error showed up while imaging your OS partition /C:/.  The only CheckDsk that has a prayer dealing with that error is chkdisk c: /r (not /f).  This will take a while since it'll be looking at every sector for the error, not just faulty FileStructure like /f does.

Thanks Froggie, I'll give that a go and report back.
No problem Seek..., I had plenty of other things to tackle.
Edited 21 November 2023 9:46 PM by mb300e4m
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I would also try performing the same backup while booted from Rescue Media.  This will isolate some variables.  If it works outside of Windows in Rescue Media but not in Windows, then there's probably some configuration problem or another piece of software might be conflicting.  If it fails in the Rescue Media, too, then it's most likely a hardware failure.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search