encrypted backup image

Author
Frank Esposito
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello --- I have 2   internal hard drive in my windows 10 system --- when I do backups I write the images to the second drive in the computer ----  if   bitlocker was turned on 
for the second drive, then the backup images would be encrypted by the OS

In the event that I had to do a restore booting with the alternative boot to reflect recovery or a   usb or dvd boot image, would the recovery environment be able to read the
encrypted images? Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Make sure your Rescue Media has BitLocker support enabled by checking the Advanced options of Rescue Media Builder. At that point, you can always open Command Prompt in Rescue and use manage-bde to unlock that volume. That’s a Microsoft utility, so online documentation for usage is readily available.

Additionally, you can optionally have Rescue Media Builder store auto-unlock keys for BitLocker volumes within the Rescue Media itself if you’re comfortable with that. To do that, make sure the volumes you want to auto-ublock in Rescue are connected and unlocked when you do a full WIM rebuild of your Rescue Media. If your Windows partition itself has BitLocker enabled, then Rescue Media Builder will cache auto-unlock keys for volumes on the Windows partition so that future builds will have those keys even if the volumes you want to auto-unlock aren’t always connected at the time of each build. If your Windows partition is not BitLockered, then they won’t be cached, in which case make sure the volume you want auto-unlocked is connected at each Rescue Media build.
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)Advanced Member (493 reputation)
thanks for the info

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search