Error 5 on disk-image

Author
Edwin K
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I sent a laptop out for repair and they instructed to clear the device.  So I created a Macrium image using my home edition license.  I made a full disk image of all 4 partitions, including the Windows 11 recovery partition.  Yesterday I received the repaired device, so today I am trying to restore the backup file.

Unfortunately the Macrium image-file seems to be corrupt (error 5, at 29%), and I cannot restore an initial setup from the Windows 11 recovery partition, even though that part restored fine.

The repair bill noted they had updated my Bios file.  Macrium mentions it is restoring a bitlocker encrypted drive without enabling bitlocker on the target.

Can anyone help me out of this mess?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Sorry to hear this. The BitLocker element wouldn’t explain the error you’re seeing. Reflect is just telling you that when you made the backup, the Windows partition had BitLocker enabled, and the circumstances of the restore are such that it will have to be restored without BitLocker being enabled. That’s fine, but you’re getting a notification to avoid a scenario where users might not realize that outcome and might unwittingly continue into the future with an unencrypted partition.

The standard Windows Recovery partition isn’t intended to be usable for reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows. It only contains tools that can help resolve situations that might prevent Windows from starting. Some laptop vendors include a separate recovery partition that does in fact contain an image of the system as it left the factory, but that can become outdated quickly.

In terms of possible ways to restore the image, if you haven’t already, I would try another USB cable/port just in case that might be responsible for the errors you’re seeing. If you consistently see the same error at the same point in the restore, then it may in fact be a corrupt image. In that case, the recourse would be to use another PC to download the Windows Media Creation Tool, which will help you create a bootable USB flash drive that will install a fresh copy of Windows 11. From there, you would reinstall Reflect and then mount your backup for browsing. It’s very possible that the vast majority of your data in that image is fine, in which case you can extract your personal data that way. Applications typically cannot be reinstalled by simply copying folders around, so those would typically have to be reinstalled.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search