Restoring image to new device

Author
rbhed
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The issue I have is when restoring an image to a new drive.

The image has three partions, P1 - {none), active - ntfs, P2 kota_w10 (c) Primary - ntfs, P3 (none) Primary - unformatted
Here's the problem I'm having. P3 is a encrypted virtual drive and doesn't have a drive letter asigned until the encryted volume is mounted.
when I restore the image P3 is assigned (E) and I can't find a way to unassigned it to none. After I have restored the image and boot into win10 I can't mount the encrypted drive with its assigned drive (A) and windows won't allow me to assign or change the drive letter and A is not shown in the drive assignment list
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
If Windows assigned it a drive letter, then you should be able to see that in theDisk Management application and remove it. Otherwise, diskpart is a command-line utility that you can use to remove a drive letter assignment.
Edited 9 November 2023 12:54 AM by jphughan
rbhed
rbhed
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I haven't even retored the image yet to the new ssd hd.
When I select the image in restore the "source" P3 doesn't show a drive letter but the "destination" does shows (E) for P3.and there is no option in the restore app to remove or change it. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
If you’re using Reflect V7 based on where you posted this, then after staging the restore but before proceeding, click the partition in the Destination section and click Restored Partition Properties. At the top of that dialog, there’s a drive letter option where you can choose a different letter or no letter at all.

But that really isn’t necessary anyway, because drive letters aren’t permanent or even embedded into the partition itself. There will be no data on the partition saying “I should be drive letter E.” Windows can be configured to remember drive letter assignments, but that’s achieved by data stored within that Windows environment. That also means that if you’re restoring from the bootable Rescue Media environment, then nothing that happens with drive letter assignment there will carry over to full Windows anyway, in which case don’t waste your time.

Again, it’s trivial to remove a drive letter assignment at any future time anyway. So there’s really no need to worry about this during the actual restore process.
Edited 9 November 2023 3:38 AM by jphughan
rbhed
rbhed
Reflect v8.1.7675 is my current.
-1- there is no drive assignment option only delete partition.

-2- when I restored the image and booted w10 "E" was assigned to the virtual drive. When I mount the encrypted drive its properties need to mount to "A".
when I open disk management P3 has "E" assigned and there is no "A" available.. This isn't a w10 issue, it only occurs when I restore the image. So it does create a problem.
rbhed
rbhed
rbhed - 9 November 2023 7:35 PM
Reflect v8.1.7675 is my current.
-1- there is no drive assignment option only delete partition.

-2- when I restored the image and booted w10 "E" was assigned to the virtual drive. When I mount the encrypted drive its properties need to mount to "A".
when I open disk management P3 has "E" assigned and there is no "A" available.. This isn't a w10 issue, it only occurs when I restore the image. So it does create a problem.

That also means that if you’re restoring from the bootable Rescue Media environment, then nothing that happens with drive letter assignment there will carry over to full Windows anyway, in which case don’t waste your time.
not true !!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
@rbhed If you’re running Reflect V8, then it would have been better to post this in the V8 section of the forum. In V8, I think the drive letter choice is now in the Layout pane, so after you stage your desired partition layout for the restore job you want, select the partition of interest in the Destiantion area and click the Layout button.

As for drive letter assignments not carrying over from Rescue to full Windows, that is in fact true. For background, I’ve spent 15 years in the Windows IT world and about 7 years with Reflect. Changes made in full Windows CAN affect Rescue only because Rescue Media Builder copies some information from Windows into Rescue Media in an attempt to maintain consistent drive letter assignments. But the reverse does not apply, except for setting attributes on the partition itself to mark it as completely hidden. But if you still have doubts, test it yourself. Boot into Rescue, open Command Prompt there, and use Diskpart to change an existing drive letter assignment. Then reboot your PC into full Windows and see if that letter change persisted. It won’t, because again, drive letter assignments are not embedded into the partition itself, so your full Windows environment will have no way of knowing about the change you made in Rescue.

In the specific case of using drive letter A, the letters A and B were historically used for 3.5” and 5.25” floppy disks. That said, I just opened Disk Management on my PC and went to change the drive letter assigned to my external HDD. Both A and B were available as options.

If you’re still having trouble, it may help to start posting screenshots. They are often worth 1000 words. You can even make screenshots in Rescue by clicking the camera icon in the taskbar.

Example of Windows Disk Management allowing A and B:

Edited 9 November 2023 9:14 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Yep, drive letter assignment is in the Layout dialog, top-center, as shown from this example screenshot I pulled from a Macrium KB article.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search